Tetsuya Okukawa is a renowned make-up artist from Japan who has done wonders for the appearances of many Japanese celebrities, including Japanese beauty queen, model and actress Fujiwara Norika. The Shiseido make-up artist recently paid a visit to Thailand to showcase his skills and talk about forthcoming trends in cosmetics.
Gone is the shimmery face trend; this year women will be going mad for matte.
- What will be the main changes in make-up trends during the year ahead?
- The key difference between last year's and this year's trends will be foundation. Last year we focused on shimmering, glowing textures, but in 2013 it will all be about matte. Point make-up will be more colourful than this year, and pink will be back in style.
- What make-up tips would you give to Thai women?
- I feel that Thai women do not focus much on their eyebrows, meaning they don't really have their eyebrows shaped. Having the eyebrows professionally shaped can really change the entire look. You can reshape your eyebrows by drawing them differently or tweeze or shave some bits out. These tiny changes can change your face to make it look softer or bolder. [...] Also, what I see here is that Thai women do not take care of their lips, and I always see dry, chapped lips. This is a shame, as the lips can attract a lot of attention.
- What are the colours to look for in 2013?
- The key colour for 2013, for both work and play, is pink. You can add pink to your lips or your cheeks, but not on the whole face. If your cheeks are pink, the lips should be more subdued. Japanese style believes in focusing on just one point of the face, and this technique applies to anyone. Find the feature on your face that you want to highlight and bring it out. If your face doesn't have anything particularly outstanding, you can use shading techniques to create dimension.
Apart from the colour pink, the look for upcoming spring season is refined shimmer, while the colours to watch are blue and green. I am just guessing this, but I believe in my fashion sense. Fashion is all about repackaging the old to make it something new. However, instead of following the trends, you can choose to come up with your own style.
- What beauty tips would you give to women in general?
- I think that make-up is important, but skin-care is even more important. If your skin is good, make-up looks much better. Beautiful, healthy skin also gives you confidence and makes you look gorgeous from within.
Soft, feminine pink is predicted to be the key colour in 2013.
Shiseido make-up artist Tetsuya Okukawa
A reason to smile
Out with the old lip balm and in with the new at half the price with Burt's Bees new campaign. To celebrate the global success of Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm, the brand is offering a 50% discount under the Change Your Own Lip Balm campaign. Simply bring your old lip balm from any brand to exchange for a Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm at half the original price, from January 15 to February 15 or while stocks last.
I'm a survivor
Why burden your bag with a load of make-up products while all you need is one versatile kit? Victoria Jackson introduces Survival Kit Day & Night Beautymate, which houses 10 eye shadow colours, two shades of blush-on, five lip colours, a mascara, an eye liner, a lip liner and a brush set, all in an easy-to-carry package. The set is priced at 2,390 baht only.
About the author
- Writer: Napamon Roongwitoo
Position: Outlook Writer