Ruling expected in Egypt football trial amid unrest
- Published: 26/01/2013 at 02:45 PM
- Online news:
A court was due to issue a verdict on Saturday in the case of Egypt's worst football disaster, with fans threatening to sow "chaos" if justice is not delivered for the 74 people killed in last year's violence.
Fans of Al-Masry football club protest outside a prison in Port Said on January 25, 2013, calling for prisoners suspected of killing 74 people during a February 2012 match not to be transferred to Cairo to attend their trial. A court was due to issue a verdict on Saturday in the case of Egypt's worst football disaster.
The trial of dozens of defendants over the Port Said stadium disaster comes after a day of violence nationwide as Egypt marked the second anniversary of the uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak.
Seven people were killed and 456 injured in 12 provinces as police clashed with protesters on Friday.
In February 2012, clashes in the canal city of Port Said between fans of home side Al-Masry and Cairo's Al-Ahly left over 70 people dead and sparked days of violent protests in Cairo, in which another 16 people were killed.
Many believe the rioting was orchestrated either by the police or by Mubarak supporters.
Hard core fans of Al-Ahly known as the Ultras, who played a key role in the uprising, have already taken to the streets to demand severe punishment for those responsible for the stadium deaths under the slogan "justice or chaos."
About the author
- Writer: AFP
Position: News agency