Kaeng Krachan elephant electrocuted
- Published: 13/06/2013 at 04:46 PM
- Online news:
PHETCHABURI - A young wild male elephant died on Thursday after its trunk became entangled in a 220 volt farm electric fence inside the boundary of Kaeng Krachan National Park.
The wild elephant lies dead after being electrocuted inside Kaeng Krachan National Park. (Photo by Chaiwat Satyaem)
The fence was protecting a palm farm in tambon Pa Deng, Kaeng Krachan district, owned by Narunart Gaeturat, 50.
Mr Narunart said he heard sounds like an animal in pain about 4am Thursday. Two hours later, after the sun rose, he found the elephant lying lifeless by his fence and reported it to the village chief.
Phetchaburi provincial governor Montian Thongnit and rangers from Kaeng Krachan National Park inspected the scene of the tragedy.
Mr Montian said later that Mr Narunart's 25-rai farm is within the park boundary and he has no official property ownership documents.
But Mr Narunart told the authorities he purchased the land from its previous owner more than two years ago, and paid 1.5 million baht.
The electric fence was put up to deter wild animals and cattle from neighbouring farms from entering his property and eating his crop, he said.
Mr Montian said Mr Narunart had been charged with carelessness leading to the death of a protected animal.
Investigators would also look into how Mr Narunart acquired his property and whether the electric fence was using a voltage appropriate for agricultural fencing.
Kaeng Krachan National Park has a history of problems with elephants being killed by poachers.
About the author
- Writer: Chaiwat Satyaem