Scotland Yard will be tweeting updates from the Wimbledon tennis championships for the first time this year, a spokeswoman said Monday as the tournament got under way.
A Wimbledon security guard stands during a match in 2007. Scotland Yard will be tweeting updates from the Wimbledon tennis championships for the first time this year.
A dedicated Metropolitan Police Service press officer at the All England Club will be sending out arrest updates and other items of note throughout the two-week tournament.
"Good morning, and welcome to the first day of Wimbledon. Follow us live from in and around the grounds for updates," said the first tweet of the Championships from Merton MPS.
The updates will likely include messages about queues, ticket tout warnings, crime prevention and safety.
The number of officers at the All England Club, in the southwest London borough of Merton, has been boosted this year ahead of the London 2012 Olympics.
Latest stories in this category:
- Samsung Galaxy S4 sales top 10m
- US 'should act' on China intellectual property theft
- Twitter tightens security
- Kim Dotcom mulls suing tech giants for 'copyright breach'
- Facebook joins Web freedom group
- 'Kill Mittal' game capitalises on French workers' struggle
- Google boss says company is doing 'right thing' on tax
- Solar plane aims for new world distance record