Thanksgiving initiative Giving Tuesday becomes a Twitter trend on Tuesday, November 27, along with "5 Things I Find Attractive" and a pair of Korean pop stars.
Tech entrepreneur and philanthropist Bill Gates (@BGates) helped spread the world about Giving Tuesday, which comes after the shopping madness of Black Friday and Cyber Monday and encourages people to give time or money to charity, while stars such as Shakira, Rosie Perez, Queen Noor of Jordan, and economics expert Matthew Bishop lent their support.
Meanwhile, Twitter users listed personal qualities they found most attractive: a sense of humor, confidence, loyalty and intelligence were commonly cited, as was smelling good.
South Korean artists of the day are G-Dragon and T.O.P., members of the boy band BigBang, riding the crest of a hashtag wave ahead of their album's second anniversary.
The top 10 most talked about topics on Twitter on November 27 at 3:30pm GMT are:
06. Cyber Monday
Latest stories in this category:
- Zuckerberg sells as Facebook offers new shares
- Bitcoin crashes after China bank measures
- Google Glass eyewear lets winking snap pictures
- Top sports tweets of 2013
- Facebook adds video ads
- Internet chieftains press Obama over NSA spy swoops
- Microsoft expects to name new chief early in 2014
- Mandela tops 2013 Google searches