Nintendo of America has started sending out invitations for a September press event in New York, one which bears the hallmarks of a price and launch date announcement for the new Wii U console.
The Wii U controller (L) and console (R) ©intendo. All Rights Reserved
The meeting is unashamedly focused on the Wii U, and while the more recent handheld 3DS launched in February 2011, the Wii and DS before it launched in late November, timed to co-incide with the US's annual Black Friday shopping bonanza.
Both the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii were subject to similar events, also hosted by Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime.
While Sony pushes the portable PlayStation Vita and Microsoft expands the Xbox 360's focus with media-streaming deals and the Kinect motion sensor, both are expected to reveal successors to the PS3 and 360 in 2013.
Latest stories in this category:
- Game on
- Top games on sale for all-new PlayStation 4
- Gamers queue for 'Call of Duty' latest
- 'Call of Duty' videogame sales top $1 bn in first day
- Novel-based game is numero uno
- Sony aims at gamers with new PlayStation 4 console
- Gamers snap up first deliveries of PS4 game console
- PS4 sales surpass 1m units in a day