Not for the first time is the tactical board game Stratego released in video game form, but now it's being made available on Facebook and the App Store.
Serious backyard scrapping here in Stratego on Facebook, on iOS and online
First published in 1947, manufactured as an electronic toy in 1982, and sold as a computer game in the early 90s, the latest version of Stratego on iOS, Facebook and Stratego.com allows players to challenge each other across the technological divide: iPad players can match up against the Facebook masses, with website users able to get in on the action just as easily.
And in a nod to the multiple incarnations of that 66-year-old board game, including "Star Wars" and "Lord of the Rings" versions, the new, online Stratego sports both historical and futuristic pieces.
Like well-known board game siblings in "Carcassonne," "Ticket to Ride," "Small World" and "Caylus," "Stratego" intends to make the most of the iPad's versatility as digital compendium of tabletop diversions, but it's the cross-compatibility with Facebook and online portals that help it stand out from the increasingly well-dressed crowd.
Stratego on Facebook: http://apps.facebook.com/strategoonline
On iPad ($6.99 / €5,99 / £4.99): itunes.apple.com/app/stratego-official-strategy/id571948941
Latest stories in this category:
- New Xbox One unveiled as home entertainment hub
- How to watch the Xbox Reveal event on May 21
- Relaxnews app selection: eat where chefs eat, keep up with Cannes
- 'Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag' trailer states Captain Kenway's aims
- Electronic Arts opens 'Star Wars' studio in LA
- Twitch TV launches on Xbox 360
- 'Anno Online' opens doors to city-building public
- 'Gran Turismo 6' announced ... for PlayStation 3?