The latest data puts Nokia's premium Lumia 920 handset above rival manufacturers' handsets and above the Lumia 800, the flagship device for the last iteration of the now defunct Windows Phone 7 OS.
The flagship Windows Phone 8 handset, Nokia's Lumia 920, is also the world's most popular.
The data, collected by AdDuplex, reveals that Nokia handsets account for 80 percent of all active Windows Phone handsets worldwide, leaving a mere 20 percent of the market to other device makers such as HTC and Samsung. Most impressive of all is that while eight of the top 10 Windows Phone handsets all belong to Nokia (the other two are the HTC 8X and HTC 8S), it is the most expensive Windows phone currently available -- the Lumia 92 -- that is top of the charts.
The figures also show that while the Windows Phone 8 platform has been slow to take off, it has almost caught up with the existing Windows Phone 7 market. Windows Phone 8 handests account for 43 percent of all Windows phones while Windows Phone 7 has seen its share drop to 57 percent.
However, before Nokia or Microsoft reach for the bubbly, it is also worth mentioning that the body of data, though extensive, doesn't provide any actual device numbers as the information supplied by AdDuplex is gathered from 494 Windows Phone apps that use the company's Software Developers Kit.
The latest figures regarding global smartphone shipments suggest that Windows Phone 8 handsets currently account for 5 percent of the market, compared with Apple's 21 percent and Android's 70 percent.