Thailand risks losing 200,000 visitors after blasts

Thailand risks losing 200,000 visitors after blasts

Tourists sit as they wait for their boat at Maiton Island in Phuket on March 18, 2016. (Reuters photo)
Tourists sit as they wait for their boat at Maiton Island in Phuket on March 18, 2016. (Reuters photo)

Thailand could lose up to 200,000 foreign visitors and more than 10 billion baht in tourism revenue this year, the head of its tourism authority said on Monday, after a series of deadly blasts in tourist towns last week.

The wave of attacks in places including the seaside town of Hua Hin and the island of Phuket, is the biggest challenge to an industry that has weathered more than a decade of instability and bounced back from violence over recent years.

Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the state Tourism Authority of Thailand, said the attacks could result in long-term losses in terms of tourist revenue and arrivals, mainly from other Asian countries.

"By the year end, there could be about 100,000 to 200,000 travel cancellations," he said in a statement.

"That would cost about 5.08 billion baht to 10.16 billion baht."

Tourism accounts for 10% of Thai gross domestic product and is one of the few bright spots in an economy that has struggled under the stewardship of a military government that seized power in a bloodless coup two years ago.

The Southeast Asian nation had been expecting a record 32 million visitors in 2016, with expected revenue of 2.41 trillion baht.

Narongchai Wongthanavimok, chief financial officer at national carrier Thai Airways, said on Friday the bombings would hurt business and consumer confidence.

No group has claimed responsibility for the Thursday and Friday attacks that killed four people and wounded dozens, some of them tourists.

Police said on Monday said they had arrested one man for arson.

Embassies in Thailand have warned their citizens to stay vigilant and some have warned that there could be more attacks.

A bomb attack on a Bangkok shrine on Aug 17 last year, killed 20 people, more than half of them Asian tourists, but it did not seriously undermine the industry.

Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (14)

Khon Kaen opens field hospitals

KHON KAEN: Provincial authorities of this northeastern province is set to open two field hospitals to cope with the rising number of its Covid-19 patients.

11:13

Anti-smokers dismiss vaping call

Anti-smoking advocates on Wednesday shrugged off a call by a pro-vaping group for e-cigarettes to be provided by the state as an option for smoking cessation treatment, as being offered in Britain.

10:25

Ministry advises locals in risk areas to work from home

The Ministry of Public Health is urging people living in high-risk areas to work from home or stay put for two weeks to curtail the upward trajectory of Covid-19 cases that is expected to skyrocket after the Songkran Festival.

09:28