Three Thai sites make Asian landmarks top 15 list
Three Thai landmarks have made the list of top 15 travellers' choice landmarks in Asia this year, as determined by TripAdvisor, the world's most popular travel site.
The three are the Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho), the Grand Palace and Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaeo), coming in fourth, ninth and 14th, respectively.
Cambodia's Angkor Wat clinched the top spot for landmarks in Asia.
TripAdvisor said the rankings were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for landmarks, gathered over a 12-month period.
The following is the list of the top 15 travellers' choice landmarks in Asia, with +/- denoting changes in ranking year-over-year, while 0 is no change.
1. Angkor Wat – Siem Reap, Cambodia (0)
2. Taj Mahal – Agra, India (0)
3. Great Wall at Mutianyu – Beijing, China (0)
4. Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho) – Bangkok, Thailand (0)
5. Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine – Kyoto, Japan (0)
6. Petronas Twin Towers – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (+1)
7. Shwedagon Pagoda – Yangon, Myanmar (-1)
8. Cu Chi Tunnels – Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (+2)
9. The Grand Palace – Bangkok, Thailand (-1)
10. Kinkakuji Temple – Kyoto, Japan (+5)
11. Tian Tan Buddha (Big Buddha) – Hong Kong, China (+2)
12. Amber Fort – Jaipur, India (-4)
13. Marina Bay Sands Skypark – Singapore (+3)
14. Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaew) – Bangkok, Thailand (0)
15. Singapore Flyer – Singapore (new)