China to become most visited country

China to become most visited country

France to be overtaken as top travel destination

A woman takes pictures under ginkgo trees outside Diaoyutai State Guest House on a late autumn day in Beijing on Nov 1, 2018. (Reuters photo)
A woman takes pictures under ginkgo trees outside Diaoyutai State Guest House on a late autumn day in Beijing on Nov 1, 2018. (Reuters photo)

LONDON: China is set to overtake France as the world's number one tourist destination by 2030 as a growing middle class in Asia looks to spend more on travel, according to experts at market research group Euromonitor International.

In a report published on Tuesday at an industry conference in London, Euromonitor is predicting there will be 1.4 billion trips made in 2018, up 5% from last year. Stronger growth in many major economies mean industry receipts will rise by an estimated 11%.

By 2030, international arrivals are expected to have risen by another billion, corresponding to around $2.6 trillion in receipts. China is expected to have overtaken France by then to become the world's number one destination.

Much of the sustained boom in travel and tourism, which has outpaced growth in the global economy for eight years, is centred in the Asia-Pacific region, where trips are expected to grow by 10% this year.

The region has benefited from rapidly growing economies as well as an expanding middle class that seeks to spend disposable income on leisure.

Euromonitor's senior travel analyst, Wouter Geerts, said the gradual process of loosening visa restrictions has made travelling in the region easier, with 80% of arrivals in Asia originating from the region.

He also said sporting events would likely further boost the region, with Tokyo hosting the 2020 Summer Olympic Games and Beijing the 2022 winter event.

"Tourism is a key pillar of the Chinese economy, and much investment has been made to improve infrastructure and standards, in addition to tourism-friendly policies and initiatives,'' he said.

Other bright spots in the forecast are countries like Egypt, Tunisia and Turkey, which have seen sharp falls in tourist numbers over the past few years linked to security concerns.

Egypt, in particular, appears to be doing well, following a long period of decline largely linked to the political upheaval since a popular uprising in 2011 and the downing of a Russian passenger plane over Egypt's Sinai peninsula in 2015 by an affiliate of the Islamic State group, killing 224 people.

Though Egypt's bookings were up 134% in 2017-18 from the year before, according to Euromonitor, the industry is still short of where it was in 2010.

Egyptian government figures show eight million tourists visited the country last year, way down on the 14 million recorded in 2010.

Europe is also proving resilient and growing strongly despite economic and political turmoil in some countries and a slew of extremist attacks in recent years.

One source of uncertainty for the outlook centres on Brexit.

A 'no-deal' Brexit, which would see Britain crashing out of the European Union in March, would see millions opt to stay at home -- an estimated five million in 2022 -- rather than book overseas holidays, the report says.

That would have a ripple effect across many destinations, notably in Spain, where UK travelers account for around a fifth of the tourist-related revenues.

Euromonitor also warned that the US tourism industry could face a hit if the trade tensions between the US and China escalate.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (2)

Two Thai doubles pairs survive at World Tour Finals

Two doubles pairs from Thailand have advanced to the semi-finals of the HSBC BWF World Tour Finals following a busy day at Nimibutr Stadium in Bangkok on Friday.

9 Dec 2022

Army hospital first stop for freed athlete Griner

American basketball star Brittney Griner arrived back in the United States on Friday morning after being released from a Russian prison in exchange for Victor Bout, an arms dealer known as the “Merchant of Death”.

9 Dec 2022

Second move

Graft busters petition court to sack suspended cabinet minister and accused land encroacher Kanokwan Vilawan and ban her from politics for up to 10 years.

9 Dec 2022