Singapore budget gives S$6.4 billion boost to economy
published : 18 Feb 2020 at 16:21
writer: Bloomberg News
SINGAPORE: Singapore unveiled a series of support packages in its budget Tuesday to help cushion the economy against the coronavirus outbreak and job risks.
Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat said he will set aside S$800 million (17.9 billion baht) to fight the spread of the coronavirus outbreak, and provide two economic support packages totaling S$5.6 billion to support businesses and consumers.
“This year we usher in a new decade, one marked by tectonic shifts in our operating environment, and major uncertainties,” Heng said in his budget speech in Parliament. The government is putting in every effort to “slow down the spread of the virus,” he said.
The bulk of the S$800 million support to fight the coronavirus will go to the Health Ministry. Of the $5.6 billion economic support, S$4 billion will primarily go toward supporting businesses with wage costs. The rest will assist consumers by offering “additional, timely help to more households with cost of living,” especially for lower-income families.
Singapore had been planning additional support for businesses hit by the ongoing US-China trade war before the coronavirus outbreak set in earlier this year. The city state, which has more than 70 confirmed cases of the virus, downgraded its growth outlook on Monday as it braces for an economic impact that’s worse than the 2003 SARS pandemic.
The coronavirus package announced Tuesday dwarfs the S$230 million stimulus the government rolled out in the wake of the SARS outbreak.
Heng also outlined the following steps:
The government still plans to raise the goods-and-services tax by 2025, but won’t increase it next year, Heng said. He outlined an enhanced package of subsidies, worth S$6 billion, to support consumers when the GST increase does take effect. The majority of Singaporean families will receive offsets of at least five years’ worth to cover GST expenses. Lower- and middle-income Singaporeans and retirees remain eligible for additional support.
The proportion of mid-level skilled foreign workers in some industries will be lowered as the government continues to strike a balance between providing job opportunities for locals and retaining an open labour market. The ratio of maximum permitted S Pass workers to a company’s total workforce in construction, marine shipyard and process sectors will be lowered to 15% from 20% in two phases beginning in January 2021, Heng said. The government won’t reduce the threshold for manufacturers at this point, given the economic uncertainties, but intends to eventually do so, he said.