Stuff CEO buys media firm for NZ$1

Stuff CEO buys media firm for NZ$1

WELLINGTON: Struggling New Zealand media giant Stuff Limited was sold in a management buy-out deal for the symbolic fee of NZ$1 (US$0.61), the group's Australian owners Nine Entertainment Co Holdings Limited announced on Monday.

Nine said that Stuff chief executive Sinead Boucher would take over the company, which operates New Zealand's most popular news website, stuff.co.nz, and titles such as Wellington's The Dominion Post and The Christchurch Press.

"The sale of Stuff is expected to (be) complete by May 31," Nine said in a statement to the Australian Stock Exchange.

Boucher, who joined the Press as a reporter in 1993 and has spent most of her career at the company, said it was "a new era" for Stuff.

"It is great to take control of our own future with the move to local ownership and the opportunity to build further on the trust of New Zealanders, who turn to us for local and national news and entertainment every day," she told stuff.co.nz.

The one-dollar price reflects the difficulties in New Zealand's media sector, where Covid-19's impact has slashed revenues already eroded by global internet giants such as Facebook and Google.

Stuff's main domestic rival, NZME Limited, had its own one-dollar bid for the company rejected earlier this month.

Stuff and NZME have both asked staff to take pay cuts due to the virus-induced downturn, with NZME cutting 200 jobs.

German magazine giant Bauer Media Group closed its New Zealand titles with the loss of 237 jobs last month, citing the "severe economic impact" of the pandemic.

Nine obtained Stuff when it acquired the company's Australian owner, Fairfax Media in late 2018. afp


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (1)

Army hospital first stop for freed athlete Griner

American basketball star Brittney Griner arrived back in the United States on Friday morning after being released from a Russian prison in exchange for Victor Bout, an arms dealer known as the “Merchant of Death”.

20:22

Second move

Graft busters petition court to sack suspended cabinet minister and accused land encroacher Kanokwan Vilawan and ban her from politics for up to 10 years.

18:43

More asset seizures

Authorities seize a luxury resort and cars, worth about 3 billion baht in all, from the alleged Chinese triad boss known as "Tuhao" accused of involvement in the drug trade.

18:21