NHA scheme seeks funds for residential projects
The National Housing Authority (NHA) looks set to raise funds through a securitisation programme to construct 30,000 units of residential projects worth 18 billion baht this year for low-income earners and vulnerable people who require special assistance.
According to Thaweepong Wichaidit, the NHA's governor, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha recently assigned the agency to assist low-income earners and vulnerable people who require special assistance to have their own houses and upgrade their job skills following the government's policy to improve the quality of life for such groups of people.
The authority plans to construct 100,000 units of residential projects nationwide worth 60 billion baht over the next five years.
"By this year, the government will implement the first phase of 30,000 units of residential projects worth 18 billion baht investment nationwide," he said.
According to Mr Thaweepong, the authority's securitisation programme is scheduled to be rolled out by May this year.
Mr Thaweepong said the NHA also plans to improve the Baan Eua Arthorn low-cost housing units which have yet to be sold, adding the authority has already talked with the state-owned Government Housing Bank (GH Bank) to help provide housing credit.
Between 2021 and 2023, the NHA plans to renovate 18,000 units of unsold Baan Eua Arthorn low-cost housing units for sale, estimated to generate 10.89 billion baht.
On Nov 9, 2021, the cabinet greenlighted the NHA to establish K-HA Plc to operate housing project ventures with private companies under a public-private partnership scheme.
With registered capital of 500 million baht, K-HA Plc is 49% held by the NHA and the remaining 51% is to be held by private companies.
Private companies are required to take no more than 15% each in K-HA.
K-HA will be instrumental in developing residential projects and helping low-income earners as well as upgrading their job skills.
NHA will be tasked with proving training programmes for low-income earners such as organic farming, livestock, services, and small-scale businesses.