French film explores weirdness of Pattaya
Two friends go on tourist adventure to beachside resort in faraway Thailand & encounter strange, marvelous things France doesn't have.
French film explores weirdness of Pattaya
Two underachiever friends embark on a tourist adventure to the beachside resort town of Pattaya in the faraway country of Thailand.
Lacking a good excuse for a vacation, the two friends enroll a blind devout Muslim dwarf from their neighborhood in the Thai kick boxing (Muay Thai) World Championship for dwarfs.
In Pattaya, the two friends join up with a expat friend from their neighbourhood in Paris who made his fortune in Pattaya and also a crazy kick-boxing teacher as well.
Fried insects, a cute human-like monkey and ping pong shows all seem to be 100% genuine.
Thailand's lovely ladyboys and the risk of mistaking them for a real woman provides the eager tourists with some thrills.
Realistic dodging of motorcycles speeding on sidewalks. (Source: YouTube)
Perhaps best dubbed "the tourist promotion film that TAT dared not produce" (TAT is the government tourism promotion agency), the film follows in the footsteps of the Hollywood film Hangover II shot in Thailand (see here).
Walking Street scenes look real enough.
According to the US show business magazine Variety, the cast of the film is reportedly "almost entirely made up of minorities — many of the actors are French Arabs with North African origins" and "many of the gags relate to Islam; and one of the three protagonists is a devout Muslim who gets tricked by the other two into believing he will get to meet a religious leader while in Thailand — a quite daring narrative considering France is plagued by rising Islamophobia in the post-Nov. 13 attack era; lastly, the film includes loads of jokes about dwarfs."
The film's teaser (above) was released this week on YouTube with Thai subtitles and the planned release date in Thai theatres is in July.
The film Pattaya made a quick $14.4 million and had the second best opening for a French film this year.
Learn from listening
- actor (noun): a person in a drama on TV, a movie or on stage - นักแสดงชาย
- actress (noun): a woman who performs on the stage, on television or in films/movies, especially as a profession - นักแสดงหญิง
- adventure: an unusual, exciting and possibly dangerous activity such as a journey or experience, or the excitement produced by such an activity - การผจญภัย
- agency (noun): a government department that provides a particular service - หน่วยงานราชการ
- apparently: based only on what you have heard or think, not on what you are certain is true; seemingly - ตามที่ได้รู้มา
- blind (adj): unable to see (Note: Nowadays we often use the term "visually-impaired" instead of "blind") - ตาบอด
- boxing: the sport of fighting between two people by hitting with fists and sometimes legs - มวย
- cast: the actors in a film, play or show - คนแสดง
- championship: a competition to find the best player or team in a sport or game - การแข่งขันเพื่อได้ตัวผู้ชนะเลิศ
- considering: thinking about a particular fact and being influenced by it - พิจารณาถึง
- controversial: causing disagreement or disapproval - ความไม่ลงรอยกัน
- cute: pretty and attractive - น่ารัก
- dare: to be brave enough to do something - กล้า
- devout (adj.): believing strongly in a particular religion and obeying its laws and practices - ซึ่งมีใจศรัทธา, จริงใจ
- dodge: to avoid someone, especially someone who is trying to stop you - หลบหลีก
- dubbed: called; given a name - ถูกเรียก ตั้งฉายา
- dwarf (adj): much smaller than the normal size - ซึ่งเตี้ยแคระ
- embark (verb): to begin an activity, especially a difficult one like a long journey - เริ่มดำเนินการ
- enroll (verb): to put someone onto the official list of members of a course or college - ลงทะเบียน
- era: a period of time that has a particular quality or character - ยุค, สมัย
- excuse: a reason that you give to explain why you have done something bad, or why you have not done something that you should have done - ข้อแก้ตัว, ข้ออ้าง
- expatriate (expat): a person living in a country that is not their own - คนที่อาศัยอยู่ต่างประเทศ (เป็นเวลานาน)
- extensively: in considerable detail; thoroughly - อย่างกว้างขวาง
- faraway (adj.): not near; at a distance from where you are; very far away - ห่างไกล, ไกลลิบ, ไกล,
- feature: to include someone or something as an important part - ทำให้เด่น
- fictional: describing imaginary people and events, not real ones - บันเทิงคดี, นวนิยาย, เรื่องเล่า
- follows in the footsteps of: to do something that someone has already done in the past -
- fortune: a large amount of money, goods, property, etc - ทรัพย์สมบัติมากมาย
- gag: to prevent someone from speaking or saying something -
- genuine: real; honest - แท้
- Hollywood: the movie industry in the US -
- insect: any small creature with six legs and a body divided into three parts. Insects usually also have wings. Ants, bees and flies are all insects - แมลง, แมง
- Islamophobia: fear of Islam -
- lack (verb): to not have something - ขาด
- loads of: many -
- locale: the place where something happens - สถานที่
- minority: of a part of a population that is different in race, religion or culture form most of the population - ชนกลุ่มน้อย
- narrative: a description of events, especially in a story or novel - เรื่องเล่า
- neighbourhood (noun): a particular area of a city or town or other area - ละแวก, ย่าน
- plagued: caused a lot of problems for someone or something for a long period of time - ทำให้ยุ่งยาก ลำบากมานาน
- plot: the series of events that form the story of a novel, play, film/movie, etc. - เนื้อเรื่อง
- produce (verb): to make the practical and financial arrangements needed to make a film, play, music video or television or radio programme - อำนวยการสร้าง, ผลิต
- promotion: activities done in order to increase the attendance at an event or sales of a product or service - การส่งเสริม
- protagonist: the main character in a play, book or story -
- provide: to give someone/ something that they want or need - จัดหาให้, จัดเตรียมไว้ให้
- realistic (adj): representing things as they are in real life; looking/acting real - เหมือนจริง
- release: the act of making something available to the public - การนำออกแสดง, การออกวางจำหน่าย
- reportedly: as reported (often used for showing that you are not certain that something you are reporting is true) - ตามที่รายงาน
- risk: the possibility that something dangerous or unpleasant might happen - ความเสี่ยง
- show business: entertainment; the business involved with performances that people enjoy - ธุรกิจบันเทิง
- subtitle: a translation of what people are saying in a foreign language film or television programme, that appears at the bottom of the screen - คำแปลที่เขียนไว้ข้างล่างในภาพยนตร์
- taste (noun): the different feelings or sensations you get from food when you eat - รส
- teaser: an advertisement for a product that does not mention the name of the product or say much about it but is intended to make people interested and likely to pay attention to later advertisements -
- thrill: a sudden feeling of being very excited and pleased - ความรู้สึกตื่นเต้น
- trick: something that you do to make somebody believe something which is not true - การหลอกลวง, การเล่นกล
- underachiever: a person who has not done as much in life as they could have -
- vacation: holiday; a period of time spent travelling or resting away from home - ลาพักผ่อน, ลาพักร้อน
- viewer: a person who watches TV -
- weird: very strange - แปลกประหลาด
- weirdness: being very strange - แปลกประหลาด
- whacky: goofy; silly; seeming stupid - น่าหัวเราะ,น่าขำ