The New Pantip Plaza: Reopens next month
Pantip Plaza, Bangkok's most famous electronics mall to re-open after massive two-year, 300-million-baht renovation.
TECHNOLOGY & RETAIL
The New Pantip Plaza: Reopens next month
Pantip Plaza, Bangkok's most famous electronics shopping mall, will open its doors to customers early next month after a massive two-year, 300-million-baht renovation.
Dubbed the Tech Life Mall, the renovation is intended to demonstrate the transformative power of the emerging "Internet of Things".
Asset World Estate, a subsidiary of TCC Land, the operator of Pantip Plaza, announced it will open its new Tech Life Mall on Aug 8.
The 36,000-square-metre mall will boast 300 IT dealers occupying half of the total space.
CO-WORKING SPACE FOR START-UPS
A "co-working space" is a shared working environment, often a cross between an office and a cafe, that allows independent freelancers to escape the isolation of working alone and have a more social environment, with other people, to work in (see here).
NEW BUSINESS PLAN
The average time customers spends in the mall is expected to increase from 1.5 hours to 3.5 hours.
The company expects the number of visitors to increase to 35,000 per day after that number dropped to 20,000 during the renovation period and a general slowdown of shopping malls for computers.
Rental fees have been raised by an additional 3-5% and the new mall expects to break even within five years.
NO MORE PIRATED SOFTWARE
In what may be a surprise, but Pantip also hopes to become a mall without pirated software.
NEW SKYWALK FROM CENTRALWORLD & BTS
THE SYN HUB
The new so-called Syn Hub will include:
2. An e-sports area powered by Intel Microelectronics (Thailand).
3. Business solutions supplied by Com Seven Co.
4. A Microsoft experience store.
Niti Mekmok, managing director of Synergy Technology, the owner of Syn Hub, said digital technologies are creating new paths for manufactures and reshaping most industries.
The 20-million-baht Syn Hub provided various innovative technologies ranging from 3D printers, mechanics supporting the Industrial Internet of Things, embedded electronic systems design, and radio frequency identification (RFID) systems.
Syn Hub also features a co-working space with 60 seats. The company charges 280 baht a day to use the space.
"It's the right time to invest as the Thai government is pushing for the development of a digital economy," said Mr Niti.
Learn from listening
- announce: to tell people something officially, especially about a decision, plans, etc - ประกาศ, แจ้ง, แจ้งให้ทราบ
- boast (verb): to have something that is impressive and that you can be proud of -
- cafe: a small place where people go to drink coffee and read or talk -
- co-working space: a shared working environment, a cross between an office and a cafe that allows independent freelancers a more social environment with other people to work in (Source: Wikipedia) -
- consumer: someone who buys and uses goods and services - ผู้บริโภค
- cross: a mixture of two different things - การผสมผสาน
- dealer: a person or company that buys and sells a particular product - ผู้จำหน่าย
- demonstrate: to show something clearly by giving proof or evidence - พิสูจน์, แสดงให้เห็นจริ
- development: the gradual growth of something so that it becomes more advanced, stronger, etc - การพัฒนา
- display: to put something in a particular place so that people can see it easily - โชว์, แสดง
- drawback (noun): a disadvantage or problem that makes something a less attractive idea - ข้อเสียเปรียบ, ข้อด้อย, อุปสรรค
- dubbed: given a name - ตั้งฉายา, ตั้งชื่อเล่นให้
- e-sports: competitive spectator sports played on a computer such as computer games -
- embedded system (noun): small computer programs inside machines or the electronics of a product such as the electronics of a car or airplane -
- emerge: to start to exist; to appear - เกิดขึ้น
- enterprise: an organisation, especially a business - กิจการ, บริษัท,อุตสาหกิจ,วิสาหกิจ
- environment: a place, including all the physical conditions that affect it - สภาพแวดล้อม, สิ่งแวดล้อม
- escape (verb): to get away from a place; to leave a place where you are in danger - หนี
- feature: to include someone or something as an important part - ทำให้เด่น
- freelancer: a person who earns money by selling their work or services to several different organisations rather than being employed by one particular organisation - ทำงาน อิสระ, บุคคคที่เสนอตนเองเพื่อรับทำงาน
- gadget: a small tool or piece of equipment that does something useful or impressive - อุปกรณ์ขนาดเล็ก, กลไกขนาดเล็ก
- gradually: slowly and in small stages or amounts - อย่างทีละน้อย
- independent: not connected with or influenced by something (e.g., not being a member of a political party); not connected with each other - ซึ่งเป็นอิสระ, ไม่ขึ้นกับใคร
- intended: planned; wanted to happen - ที่ได้วางแผนไว้ ที่ตั้งใจให้เกิดขึ้น
- isolation: the state of being separated form other people -
- legitimate: allowed by the law, or correct according to the law - ชอบด้วยกฎหมาย
- linking: connecting - เชื่อมต่อ เชื่อมโยง
- located: where something is - ตั้งอยู่
- manufacture: to make and produce a product - ผลิต
- massive: very large in size, amount or number - ใหญ่โต
- occupy: to fill, exist in, or use a place or period of time - ครอง
- operator (noun): a person or company that runs a business - ผู้ดำเนินกิจการทางธุรกิจ, ผู้ประกอบธุรกิจ
- pirated: illegally copied - ละเมิดลิขสิทธิ์
- previously: before -
- remaining: continuing to be present; still existing - ยังเหลืออยู่
- renovation: making something old look new again by repairing and improving it, especially a building - การปฏิสังขรณ์, การทำให้มีสภาพดีเหมือนเดิม, การบูรณะ, การซ่อมแซมใหม่
- reserve: kept for use for something or someone - ที่จัดสรรไว้ สำรอง
- reshape (verb): to change the shape or structure of something - เปลี่ยนรูปใหม่, แปลงโฉมใหม่
- share: to have or use something at the same time as someone else - ใช้ร่วมกัน
- so-called: used for saying that a particular word is usually used for referring to someone or something - ที่เป็นที่รู้กัน
- social: related to spending time with other people มีการติดต่อกับผู้คน -
- space: an area or a place that is empty or that can be moved about freely - ที่ว่าง
- startup (noun): a company that is just beginning to operate - บริษัทใหม่
- subsidiary: (of a business company) owned or controlled by another company - บริษัทในเครือ
- teenager: a person who is between the ages of 13-19 - บุคคลที่มีอายุระหว่าง 13-19 ปี, คนรุ่นหนุ่มรุ่นสาว, วัยรุ่น
- transformative: making a complete change or "transformation" in somebody/something - การเปลี่ยนรูป,การแปรรูป,การปฎิรูป,การเปลี่ยนสภาพ