Pokemon Go tourism & dreams of Pokemon economy
Pokemon hunting is new tourism & transport business opportunity. Gets people off couch, out & about mixing with friends but may distract from work.
TECHNOLOGY, GAMING & ECONOMICS
Pokemon Go tourism & dreams of Pokemon economy
Suchit Leesa-nguansuk, Komsan Tortermvasana, Aekarach Sattaburuth & Amornrat Mahitthirook
Pokemon Go only launched in Thailand on Saturday but it looks set to transform the Thai economy in many unique ways.
Since its global launch, Pokemon Go has sparked a worldwide frenzy among users who have taken to the streets with their smartphones.
Pokemon group outings could get people out and about, spending money & stimulating the economy.
The viral game uses satellite locations, graphics and camera capabilities to overlay cartoon monsters onto real-world settings, challenging game players to capture the little creatures and train them for battle.
Pokemon Go now ranks as Thailand's top downloaded free app on both Android's Play Store and Apple's iOS.
In Thailand, True, through its subsidiary True Content and Media, won the exclusive rights in 2014 to sell Pokemon items and develop a localised version of Pokemon video games with characters and themes unique to Thailand.
True also holds the sole rights to do marketing and information releases in Thailand in collaboration with Pokemon Go's owner Niantic.
POKEMON GO TOURISM
A travel agency in Phuket, Phuket Tour Holiday, is already offering Pokemon hunting tours around the island to help new arrivals to Phuket gain familiarity with its landmarks so they can make their way around the island and hunt Pokemons.
Tourists have found collectible items such as Pokemon balls for catching Pokemon at Pokestops and the Pokemon themselves at well-known locations around Phuket such as Phuket Town, Wat Chalong, Karon Viewpoint, Saphan Hin and Promthep Cape.
Negotiations are reportedly already underway with the tourism and sports ministry about adding important tourist destinations in Thailand to the game.
Pokemon personal drivers have already caught on as a new transportation service.
POKEMON GO ECONOMIC STIMULUS
Pokemon Go has motivated a lot of people to get off the couch at home and start walking around, exploring the world around them and getting some much-needed exercise.
Eyes glued to the screen, many Pokemon enthusiasts congregate around Siam Paragon shopping mall.
Smartphone vendors will soon be selling faster, more sophisticated phones that make the game-playing experience more enjoyable.
Minimum requirements for a smartphone to run Pokemon Go include a 1.3-GHz quad core with 2 gigabytes of RAM, preferred screen resolution of 720*1280, Android system with version 4.4 and up, built-in GPS or a location-sed gyroscope sensor.
All these requirements can be met with a smartphone priced over 4,000 baht.
Pokemon Go has led to an increase in phone power bank sales, because using GPS, Pokemon Go uses GPS intensively and drains phone batteries quickly.
Uber and motorcycle taxis are even benefiting by offering a personal driver service for players hunting Pokemons around town.
A smartphone user plays 'Pokemon Go' during yesterday's meeting between the NBTC and five telecom operators to discuss the game's future. KITJA APICHONROJAREK
POKEMONS: BLESSING OR CURSE?
By now, almost everyone knows what a Pokemon is and how to throw a ball at them to catch them.
For every Pokemon lover, however, there is a Pokemon hater, it seems.
Playing Pokemon Go at work is quickly becoming an issue.
For example, on Tuesday, the Department of Land Transport (DLT) ordered drivers of public transport vehicles to not play Pokemon Go during work.
Pokemon hunting can be a distracting activity at work.
POKEMON GO NO-GO ZONES
A flood of complaints has prompted the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) to create restricted areas (no-go zones for Pokemon Go) including temples, private property, state property, and public thoroughfares such as roads, railways and waterways.
Several state areas have announced plans to ban Pokemon Go in their areas, including Government House, the Defence Ministry, schools and forest reserves.
Pokemon hunting at government house.
POKEMON PLAYER RIGHTS: PM PRAYUT STICKS UP FOR THEM
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said that despite his concerns over safety, it was an individual's right to play the game.
"What makes me worry is the safety of the players. They could face possible dangers such as robbery or rape if they play Pokemon Go in deserted or inappropriate areas," Gen Prayut added.
Game playing must not be allowed in government areas and players' safety must be prioritised, he added.
Learn from listening
- accounts for: to be a particular amount or part of something -
- arrival: when someone reaches where they are going (arrives) - ขาเข้า การเข้ามา
- attract: to cause someone to be interested in something - ดึงดูดความสนใจ
- bandwidth (noun): the amount of information that can be sent during a period of time over a network or the internet; the capacity of a communications channel - ความกว้างแถบความถี่, แบนด์วิชท์
- battery (noun): a device that is placed inside a car engine, clock, radio, etc. and that produces the electricity that makes it work - แบตเตอรี่, ที่กำเนิดไฟฟ้า
- battle: a fight; serious disagreement, strong competition, etc. - การต่อสู้
- benefit: to get help or an advantage from something - ผลประโยชน์
- boom: a sudden increase in trade and economic activity; a period of wealth and success - ความเจริญรุ่งเรืองทางเศรษฐกิจ
- boost: to increase - เพิ่ม
- capability: the ability to do something - ความสามารถ
- cape (noun): a small thin piece of land extending into the water from the land; headland, point - แหลม, ส่วนของผืนดินที่ยื่นเข้าไปในน้ำ
- capture: to catch someone or something; to take someone as a prisoner - จับ, จับกุม
- challenge: to invite someone to compete or fight - ท้า
- character (noun): a person, animal, cartoon figure in a book, play, film etc - ผู้สวมบทบาท, ตัวแสดง
- complaint: when someone says that something is wrong or not satisfactory - การบ่น, ข้อที่ไม่พอใจ
- creature: anything that lives except plants - สิ่งมีชีวิต (คน, สัตว์)
- data: facts or information, especially when examined and used to find out things or to make decisions - ข้อมูล, ตัวเลข, สถิติ
- date: to have a romantic relationship with somebody - นัดพบ
- destination: the place where someone or something is going - จุดหมายปลายทาง
- drain: to cause water or fluid to flow out - ระบายออก
- exclusive (adj): limited to a particular person, group or thing and not shared with others - แต่ผู้เดียว
- exclusively: only used by or intended for one particular person or group; only given to one particular person or group - เฉพาะ, แต่ผู้เดียว
- excuse: a reason that you give to explain why you have done something bad, or why you have not done something that you should have done - ข้อแก้ตัว, ข้ออ้าง
- expect (verb): to think or believe that something will happen or that somebody will do something - คาด, คาดว่า, คาดการณ์
- experience (verb): to have something happen to you or to live through some event - ประสบ
- familiarity: well known to you or easily recognised by you - ความคุ้นเคย, ความเคยชิน
- fine: an amount of money that you have to pay because you have broken the law - ค่าปรับ
- flood: a large amount or number of something - จำนวนมาก
- frenzy: (an example of) uncontrolled and excited behaviour or emotion, which is sometimes violent - ความบ้าคลั่ง, ความตื่นเต้นมาก, ความบ้าระห่ำ
- global: throughout the world - ทั่วโลก
- graphic: a diagram or picture, especially one that appears on a computer screen or in a newspaper or book - ภาพกราฟฟิก
- hunt (verb): to look for a person or animal in order to catch them or harm them; to chase wild animals or birds in order to catch or kill them for food, sport or to make money - ตามหา, ล่า
- impact (noun): an effect or influence - ผลกระทบ
- intensively: involving a lot of effort, energy, or attention - อย่างหนาแน่น
- issue: a problem that needs to be considered - ประเด็น
- landmark: a building or place that is easily recognised, especially one which you can use to judge where you are - สถานที่ที่เป็นจุดสังเกต
- launch: starting something - การเริ่มต้น
- localise: to make a local version of some kind of media, such as a magazine or TV program -
- location: where someone or something is - ที่ตั้ง,ทำเล
- marriage: the ceremony in which two people become husband and wife; the legal relationship between a husband and wife - การแต่งงาน, การสมรส, ภาวะที่แต่งงานกัน
- minimal: very small in amount - น้อยที่สุด, น้อยมาก
- minimum: as small in amount or degree as necessary or possible - จำนวนน้อยที่สุด, ปริมาณต่ำที่สุด
- ministry: a government department that has a particular area of responsibility - กระทรวง
- mobile: able to move or be moved around - ซึ่งเคลื่อนที่ได้ง่าย
- National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC): the independent government agency which oversees and regulates the Thai telecoms and broadcasting industry - สำนักงานคณะกรรมการกิจการกระจายเสียง กิจการโทรทัศน์และกิจการโทรคมนาคมแห่งชาติ
- negotiations: formal discussion in which people or groups try to reach an agreement - การเจรจาต่อรอง
- offer (verb): to make something available or to provide the opportunity for something - ให้, เสนอ
- operator (noun): a person or company that runs a business - ผู้ดำเนินกิจการทางธุรกิจ, ผู้ประกอบธุรกิจ
- overlay: to put something on top of a surface so as to cover it completely; to lie on top of a surface - วางทับ, ทับ, ปิดคลุม
- passenger: someone who travels in a motor vehicle, aircraft, train, or ship but is not the driver or one of the people who works on it - ผู้โดยสาร
- personal: your own; not belonging to or connected with anyone else - เป็นส่วนตัว
- power bank: the little rechargeable batteries that can be attached to a phone when it runs out of battery -
- predict: to say that an event or action will happen in the future, especially as a result of knowledge or experience - คาดการณ์ว่า พยากรณ์จากสถิติว่า
- prioritise: to put tasks, problems, etc. in order of importance, so that you can deal with the most important first - จัดลำดับก่อน
- private: involving groups, businesses or industries that are not owned or controlled by the government - เอกชน
- prompted (verb): caused - กระตุ้น, ก่อให้เกิด
- property: a building or buildings and the surrounding land - อสังหาริมทรัพย์
- public: open to people in general - สาธารณะ
- public transport: the system of buses, trains, etc. provided by the government or by companies, which people use to travel from one place to another - ขนส่งมวลชน
- railway: the whole transportation system of trains connecting stations along rail tracks - รางรถไฟ, ระบบทางรถไฟ
- rank: to put someone or something into a position according to their success, importance, size etc - จัดลำดับ
- release: the act of making something available to the public - การนำออกแสดง, การออกวางจำหน่าย
- reportedly: as reported (often used for showing that you are not certain that something you are reporting is true) - ตามที่รายงาน
- requirements (noun): things that you must have or do in order to do or get something else - ข้อกำหนด, ข้อบังคับ
- resolution: the power of a computer screen, printer, etc. to give a clear image, depending on the size of the dots that make up the image - ความละเอียดของภาพ, ความคมชัด
- restricted: intended only for people who have been given special permission - ที่จำกัด
- right: something that you are morally or legally allowed to do or have - สิทธิ
- satellite: an electronic device that is sent into space and moves around the earth or another planet. It is used for communicating by radio, television, etc. and for providing information - ดาวเทียม
- screen (noun): a display on a phone, computer, etc. that shows information -
- sensor: a device that can react to light, heat, pressure, etc. in order to make a machine, etc. do something or show something - อุปกรณ์ส่งสัญญาณที่ไวต่อแสงหรืออุณหภูมิ, ตัวเซ็นเซอร์
- set to: ready to do something - พร้อม
- setting: the place where someone or something is, and all the things, people, or emotions that are part of that place - สภาพแวดล้อม,
- sophisticated: complicated and advanced in design or planning - ซับซ้อน
- spark: to make something happen - ก่อให้เกิด
- state: government - รัฐบาล
- streaming: playing a video continuously from the start rather than needing to wait until the whole of the material has been downloaded -
- subsidiary: (of a business company) owned or controlled by another company - บริษัทในเครือ
- theme: the main subject of something - ใจความสำคัญ, ประเด็นหลัก
- thoroughfare: a main road through a place - ถนนในเมือง (โดยเฉพาะสายหลักที่การจราจรคับคั่ง)
- traffic: the number of cars, trucks and other vehicles traveling along a road at one time; also used for data traveling along a network - การจราจร
- train (verb): to teach people how to do a certain job or activity - ฝึกอบรม, ฝึก, อบรม
- transform: to change from one form into another - เปลี่ยนไปสู่อีกสิ่งหนึ่ง
- underway: happening - กำลังเกิดขึ้น
- unique: being the only one of its kind - ซึ่งเป็นหนึ่งเดียว
- unique: very special, unusual or good - ที่มีลักษณะพิเศษ เป็นเอกลักษณ์
- vehicle: a machine that you travel in or on, especially one with an engine that travels on roads, e.g., a car, bus, van, truck, etc. - ยานพาหนะ
- vendor: someone who sells something, but often not in a shop - พ่อค้าแม่ค้าแผงลอย
- version: a particular form of something which varies slightly from other forms of the same thing - ชุด, เวอร์ชั่น
- viewpoint (noun): the way someone sees or understands an issue or problem; an opinion, point of view, perspective, attitude - ทัศนคติ, ความคิดเห็น, มุมมอง
- waterway (noun): a river, canal, etc. along which boats can travel - ทางน้ำ เช่น แม่น้ำ คลอง
- well-known (adj.): famous, everyone knows about it - ซึ่งมีชื่อเสียง, ซึ่งเป็นที่รู้จักกันดี, เป็นที่รู้จัก, เลื่องลือ
- worldwide: throughout the world - ทั่วโลก
- zone: an area that has an important or typical feature; an area where a particular activity is allowed or not allowed - พื้นที่, บริเวณ, เขต