Olympics: Tawin wins silver, Panipak wins bronze, Ariya tops day 1 golf
published : 18 Aug 2016 at 08:08
writer: Terry Fredrickson
There are medals for Thai athletes in taekwondo with Tawin Hanprab winning silver and Panipak Wongpattanakit taking bronze. Meanwhile, Ariya Jutanugarn posted a 6-under-par round of 65 to lead all women golfers on day 1 of the women's golf competition.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Thais do well in taekwondo, golf
Tawin Hanprab (left, silver) and Panipak Wongpattanakit (bronze) enjoy their Olympics medals in taekwondo Thursday morning, Thailand time. (Reuters photos)
A late comeback by Thailand's Tawin Hanprab at the Rio Olympics fell just short as China's Shuai Zhao took the gold medal 6-4. Trailing 5-1 going into the final round, Tawin scored a quick 3 points, but that was the closest he could get. So it's silver for Thailand.
Panipak Wongpattanakit came very close to making the gold-medal round in the women's 49kg division, falling to champion Kim So-hui in the semi-finals 6-5.
Panipak Wongpattanakit of Thailand (blue) and IOtzel Adilene Manjarrez Bastdas of Mexico (red) in action during the women's -49kg Bronze Medal bout of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games Taekwondo events at the Carioca Arena 3 in the Olympic Park in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 17 August 2016. EPA/TATYANA ZENKOVICH
Thailand now stands at 24th in the medals tally with two golds, two silvers and two bronze medals.
Thailand's Tawin Hanprab celebrates after winning against Dominican Republic's Luisito Pie in their men's taekwondo semi-final bout in the -58kg category as part of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, on August 17, 2016, at the Carioca Arena 3, in Rio de Janeiro. / AFP PHOTO / Kirill KUDRYAVTSEV
Meanwhile, from AFP:
Ariya Jutanugarn (THA) of Thailand waits on the 17th tee as play is backed up in groups ahead during first round women's Olympic golf competition. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
World number two Ariya Jutanugarn of Thailand became the first player to top a women's Olympic golf leaderboard in 116 years as the event made a historic Games return on Wednesday.
Ariya shot a first-round 6-under-par 65 in the Rio Games, showing flashes of the form that won her last month's British Open.
But the strong South Koreans, who qualified four golfers for the Rio Games – more than any other country – remain poised for an expected gold-medal run.
South Korean world number five Park In-Bee and sixth-ranked Kim Sei-Young were just a shot back on 66.
The tournament got under way three days after Britain's Justin Rose won the first men's gold medal in 112 years in a down-to-the-wire fight with Henrik Stenson of Sweden.
More than 20 top stars of the men's game, including the world's four highest-ranked players, opted out, raising questions over golf's Olympic staying power -- at least until the thrilling Rose-Stenson duel.
Ariya Jutanugarn (THA) of Thailand walks to the 18th green in front of grandstand during first round women's Olympic golf competition. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
But no such quality questions surround the women's event, which features an elite field.
Ariya is seeking to become the first Thai to win a gold medal other than weightlifting or boxing.
"It would mean a lot. The only thing I want to do is make the Thai people proud and happy with me," she said.
Amanda Carr (THA) of Thailand competes. REUTERS/Paul Hanna
BMX: Tough ride for Amanda
- bout: a boxing, wrestling or taekwando match - การแข่งขัน
- bronze: a dark reddish-brown metal made by mixing copper and tin - ทองสัมฤทธ์, ทองแดง
- category: a group having similar qualities - ประเภท
- comeback: (in sports) falling behind an opponent and then catching up - การกลับสู่ความสำเร็จอีกครั้ง
- decisively: in a strong, conclusive way - อย่างแน่นอน, อย่างเด็ดขาด
- defeat: to win a victory over someone in a fight, war or competition - ชนะ, ปราบ
- down-to-the-wire (idiom): (of a sports competition) very close until the end -
- duel: a competition or struggle between two people or groups - การต่อสู้กันตัวต่อตัว, การแข่งขันระหว่าง 2 คน
- elite: of a highly trained group - ซึ่งดีที่สุด, ยอดเยี่ยมที่สุด
- field: competitors; people or organizations competing against each other -
- flash (verb): to show something to somebody quickly - แสดงให้ดูอย่างรวดเร็ว
- form: how well somebody/something is performing; the fact that somebody/something is performing well - ระดับความสามารถ, ฝีมือ, ความเก่ง
- heat: one of a series of races or competitions, the winners of which then compete against each other in the next part of the competition -
- historic: of historical importance - ที่สำคัญในประวัติศาสตร์
- meanwhile: at the same time - ในเวลาเดียวกัน
- opt out: to decide not to take part in something or to stop taking part in it - เลือกออก
- poised: ready for action - พร้อม, พร้อมสำหรับการกระทำ
- proud: feeling pleased and satisfied about something that you own or have done, or are connected with - ภูมิใจ
- qualify: to be of a high enough standard to enter a competition; to defeat another person or team in order to enter or continue in a competition - เข้ารอบ, ทำให้มีคุณสมบัติ
- quality: the standard of something when it is compared to other things like it; how good or bad something is - คุณภาพ
- slim: small; not as big as you would like or expect - เล็กน้อย, นิดหน่อย
- staying power: the ability to continue doing something difficult or tiring until it is finished - ความสามารถอดทน
- thrilling: very exciting - ทำให้ตื่นเต้นเร้าใจ, เขย่าขวัญ
- tough: difficult to do or to deal with - ยาก ยากลำบาก