Spectacular end to Rio Olympics (in pictures)
Rain, heavy at times, failed to dampen a colourful and exuberant closing ceremony as Tokyo took up the baton promising to host the best Games yet in 2020.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Athletes wearing raincoats parade during the closing ceremony of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro on August 21, 2016. / AFP PHOTO / Ed JONES
Olympics: 'Marvellous' Rio flames out as Super Abe takes baton
Dancers perform during the closing ceremony of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro on August 21, 2016. / AFP PHOTO / Greg BAKER
AFP PHOTO / Martin BERNETTI
/ AFP PHOTO / John MACDOUGALL
After a rollercoaster fortnight which mixed off-field hitches with compelling sporting drama, Olympics chief Thomas Bach hailed a "marvellous" Games in the Brazilian city.
"These were marvellous Olympic Games in the marvellous city," said Bach, as he declared the Games closed and the Olympic flame was extinguished.
"These Olympic Games are leaving a unique legacy for generations to come. History will talk about a Rio de Janeiro before and a much better Rio de Janeiro after the Olympic Games."
At the closing ceremony, thousands of fans and athletes donned ponchos on a wet and windy night for a colourful festival of Brazilian culture and music with bursts of spectacular fireworks.
Smiling and waving athletes danced into the Maracana stadium taking selfies as Rio's 16-day Summer Games closed ahead of the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.
Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe made a comical cameo as Nintendo video game character Super Mario as Tokyo set out its store for 2020.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach (L) gives the Olympic flag to Tokyo's governor Yuriko Koike during the closing ceremony of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro on August 21, 2016. / AFP PHOTO / Fabrice COFFRINI
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe holds a red ball during the closing ceremony of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro on August 21, 2016. / AFP PHOTO / Ed JONES
"The Japanese government will... work hard so it will be the best Olympics ever," Abe said.
Learn from listening
- athlete: someone who is good at sports and takes part in sports competitions - นักกีฬา
- batom (noun): a short light stick that one member of a team in a relay race passes to the next person to run - ไม้ต่อแรงของการวิ่งผลัด
- blaze: a fire - เพลิง
- burst (noun): a short period of a particular activity or strong emotion that often starts suddenly - การปรากฏ
- cameo (noun): a small part in a film/movie/ play or other event for a famous actor or famous person -
- ceremony (noun): a formal public event - งานพิธี
- comical: silly or unreasonable and deserving to be laughed at - น่าขัน, น่าหัวเราะ, ไร้สาระ
- compelling (adjective): very interesting, captivating; makes you want to believe in it; convincing - ที่กระตุ้นความสนใจ
- culture (noun): the customs and beliefs, art, way of life and social organization of a particular country or group - วัฒนธรรม
- declare: to announce officially that something is true or happening - ประกาศ ยืนยัน
- don: to put on a piece of clothing - ใส่เสื้อ
- drama (noun): an event or situation, especially an unexpected one, in which there is worry or excitement and usually a lot of action; a play in a theatre or on television or radio or a movie, or plays and acting generally - บทละคร, เรื่องเร้าใจ
- extinguish: to put out a fire - ดับไฟ
- exuberant: happy, excited and full of energy - ร่าเริง เบิกบาน
- festival (noun): an event that is held to celebrate a particular thing or activity - เทศกาล
- fireworks (noun): objects that explode when you light them and produce coloured lights and loud noise - ดอกไม้ไฟ, ดอกไม้เพลิง, พลุ
- fortnight: a period of two weeks - ในสองสัปดาห์
- generation: a group of people in society who are born and live around the same time - รุ่น (คนรุ่นต่างๆ)
- hail: to praise; to say good things about - ชื่นชม
- hitch (noun): a problem - ปัญหา, อุปสรรค
- host: to provide the space and other things necessary for a special event - ทำหน้าที่เป็นเจ้าภาพ, เป็นผู้จัดรายการ
- legacy: something that someone has achieved that continues to exists after they stop working or die - สิ่งที่สืบทอด
- Marvellous (adj): extremely good; wonderful - ยอดเยี่ยม, ดีมาก, วิเศษ
- poncho (noun): a type of coat without sleeves, made from one large piece of cloth with a hole in the middle for the head to go through - ผ้าคลุมที่มีรูตรงกลางสำหรับสวมที่ศีรษะมักใช้เป็นเสื้อกันฝน
- rollercoaster (adj): of a situation that keeps changing very quickly - สภาพการณ์ที่เปลี่ยนไปมาอย่างรุนแรง
- spectacular: very exciting to look at; extremely impressive - น่าตื่นเต้น ที่ตระการตา
- unique: being the only one of its kind - ซึ่งเป็นหนึ่งเดียว
- wave: to move your hand or arm from side to side in the air in order to attract attention, say hello, etc - โบกมือ, โบกเพื่อทักทายหรือส่งสัญญาณ