UPDATE: 6.8 Myanmar quake shakes Bangkok, Pagan temples destroyed
Earthquake shook buildings in Yangon & across Myanmar and the region as far as Chiang Mai & Bangkok in Thailand.
Powerful quake hits Myanmar, damaging famed Bagan temples
AFP News Agency
A powerful 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck central Myanmar Wednesday, killing at least one person and damaging around 60 pagodas in the ancient city of Bagan, Myanmar government officials said.
At least one man was killed in Magway region when a building collapsed during the earthquake. A woman was also injured.
A local official reported heavy damage to several temples in Bagan -- Myanmar's most famous archaeological site and a major tourist destination some 30 kilometres north of the quake's epicentre.
"About 60 pagodas in Bagan were damaged. Some were seriously damaged," said Aung Kyaw, the director of Bagan's culture department.
A tourist police officer from Bagan confirmed the damage and said a Spanish tourist was slightly hurt when the quake knocked her from the temple where she was watching the sunset.
Scaling Bagan's ancient Buddhist monuments to watch the sun set over the city's 2,500 temples is a daily ritual among tourists and local pilgrims who flock to the site.
The temples, built between the 10th and 14th centuries, are revered in the Buddhist-majority country.
Soe Win, a local MP from Chauk -- a riverside town close to the epicentre -- said it was the worst earthquake he had experienced in years.
"More than eight pagodas in the town collapsed," he told AFP, referring to Chauk. "Two buildings collapsed as well, while some others were cracked. People in the town are still scared."
Earthquakes are relatively common in Myanmar, although the country has not suffered a major one since 2012.
That powerful tremor -- also of 6.8 magnitude -- struck the centre of the country, killing 26 people and injuring hundreds.
Earthquake of 6.8 magnitude strikes central Myanmar - USGS
"My office is shaking," an office worker on the 22nd floor of Silom Complex said at 5.42pm.
No immediate reports of casualties or damage were made.
The quake shook buildings in Myanmar's biggest city of Yangon and in other towns and cities, witnesses said.
The earthquake was also felt to the west of Myanmar in Bangladesh.
A major earthquake fault line, the Sagaing Fault, runs through central Myanmar passing through the central Myanmar cities of Mandalay, Yamethin, Pyinmana, the capital Naypyidaw, Toungoo and Pegu before dropping off into the Gulf of Martaban, over 1200 kilometers away.
Reuters, USGS, Bangkok Post
Learn from listening
- according to (prep): as stated or reported by somebody/something - ตามคำบอกเล่า, ตามรายงาน
- ancient: very old - ที่เก่าแก่ ที่โบราณ
- archaeological: related to the study of the buildings, graves, tools and other objects which belonged to people who lived in the past, in order to learn about their culture and society (the subject is archaeology) - เกี่ยวกับโบราณคดี
- at least: the smallest amount possible, could be more than this - อย่างน้อย
- border: the official line separating two areas, regions or countries - เขตแดน อาณาเขต
- capital: the most important town or city of a country, usually where the central government operates from - เมืองหลวง
- casualty (noun): victim; someone/ something that has been harmed, injured or killed as the result of a bad event such as a disaster or crime (casualties: the number of dead or injured) - เหยื่อผู้เคราะห์ร้าย; จำนวนคนตายหรือได้รับบาดเจ็บ
- collapse: to suddenly fall down - ล้มลง
- collapsed: fell down suddenly - ล้ม ทิ้งตัวลง
- colleagues (noun): people who work in the same organisation, department or field as you do - เพื่อนร่วมงาน
- common: ordinary; not unusual or special - ที่เกิดขึ้นทุกวัน, ธรรมดา
- confirm (verb): to state or show that something is definitely true or correct, especially by providing evidence - ยืนยัน
- damage (noun): physical harm caused to something which makes it less attractive, useful or valuable - ความเสียหาย
- depth: the distance down either from the top of something to the bottom, or to a distance below the top surface of something - ความลึก
- destination: the place where someone or something is going - จุดหมายปลายทาง
- director: one of a group of senior managers who run a company - กรรมการบริษัท
- downtown: In the city - ในตัวเมือง
- earthquake: a sudden shaking movement of the ground - แผ่นดินไหว
- epicenter: the point on the earth's surface where the effects of an earthquake are felt most strongly - ศูนย์กลาง
- epicentre (noun): the point on the earth's surface where the effects of an earthquake are felt most strongly; the central point of something - ศูนย์กลาง
- evacuate: to cause to leave a place because it is not safe - เคลื่อนย้ายออกจาก
- experience (verb): to have something happen to you or to live through some event - ประสบ
- fault line: a fault (= break in the Earth's surface) - รอยเลื่อนของเปลือกโลก
- geological (adj): connected with the origin and history of the rocks and soil of a particular area - ทางธรณีวิทยา
- Geological Survey: the government agency that does projects in the area of geological science; science of the earth and its formation -
- highrise: tall building -
- immediate: existing now and needing urgent attention - ปัจจุบัน, โดยตรง
- immediate (adj): happening or done now, without any delay - ทันที; ทันทีทันใด
- injured (adj): hurt in an accident, natural disaster, attack, etc. - ได้รับบาดเจ็บ
- jolt (noun): a sudden rough movement - การกระตุก, การกระแทก, การเขย่า
- magnitude: size or strength - ขนาดหรือ ความรุนแรง
- officials: people who have the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- pagoda: a temple in S or E Asia in the form of a tall tower with several levels - เจดีย์
- powerful (adj): having great power or force - มีแรงมาก,มีกำลังมาก,แข็งแรง
- quake: earthquake, a sudden shaking movement of the ground - แผ่นดินไหว
- region: a large area of land or space, usually without exact limits or borders - ภูมิภาค, ขอบเขต, แถบ, บริเวณ
- relatively: somewhat; in comparison with someone or something similar - ค่อนข้าง
- resident: a person who lives in a particular area - ผู้ที่อาศัยในท้องที่
- scale: to climb to or over the top of a high steep object such as a mountain or a wall - ปีน
- scared: frightened, or worried - ตระหนก, ตกใจ, หวาด, ผวา
- site: a place where something is located - สถานที่
- struck (past of strike): suddenly came into the mind; suddenly created a thought or feeling - ประทับใจ
- suffer: to experience something very unpleasant or painful - ประสบ
- tremor: a shaking of the earth; an earthquake - การสั่นสะเทือน
- witness: a person who sees something happen - ผู้ที่เห็นเหตุการณ์