Thailand in top ten in YouTube time
Thailand has moved up in the rankings in terms of YouTube watch time, retaining its place in the top 10 in 2016.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Thais 8th in YouTube time
Thailand has moved up in the rankings in terms of YouTube watch time, its place in the top 10 in 2016, aided by cheaper smart devices and burgeoning telecom infrastructure
The ranking, revealed by Google Thailand, shows the mobile-first preference of Thai viewers and their fondness for sharing content and engaging with social media. (Since Google Inc does not have a policy on conducting official rankings, the results were rough estimates.)
"Thais have watched 1.7 hours of video daily on Google's YouTube this year, up from 1.1 hours last year," said Pete Nuchanatanon, head of marketing at Google Thailand.
Up to 65% of YouTube watch time in Thailand is spent on mobile devices, up from 52% last year, he said.
"Thais have watched 1.7 hours of video daily on Google's YouTube this year, up from 1.1 hours last year," said Pete Nuchanatanon, head of marketing at Google Thailand. (Photo courtesy of Google Thailand)
Mr Pete credited fourth-generation (4G) wireless broadband, the nationwide high-speed wireless network and low-cost mobile data plans for the sharp increase in viewing.
Thailand, Vietnam and Japan are the three Asian countries to make the top 10 this year.
Mr Pete said the rocket fuel behind Thailand's growth is the young population of 18- to 45-year-olds.
"There are eight independent content creators in Thailand with a mass following of over 1 million subscribers each on their YouTube channels," he said.
The number of creator groups for user-generated content in Thailand now exceeds the number of professional content firms such as TV stations.
Mr Pete predicts continued growth in Thailand's digital ad spending. The typical length of ads on YouTube is 2-12 minutes, compared with 5-6 minutes last year.
Travel, e-commerce, retail and automotive are some of the biggest-spending sectors in digital advertising overall, Mr Pete said.
Content creators are rushing into a new era of 360-degree virtual reality content: an audio-visual simulation of an altered, augmented or substituted environment surrounding viewers, allowing them to look in all directions as in real life.
The Digital Advertising Association (Thailand) predicts YouTube's digital ad revenue to reach 1.66 billion baht in 2016, up from 1.59 billion last year.
By comparison, Facebook's ad revenue is expected to reach 2.8 billion baht, up from 1.9 billion last year.
A recent survey of the Electronic Transactions Development Agency found that Thais spent 5.7 hours a day accessing the internet on mobile devices in 2015.
YouTube, Facebook and Line were the most-visited social media platforms.
Mr Pete said YouTube is working with mobile operators in Thailand to make video available offline as well.
Learn from listening
- access (verb): to reach, enter or use something - เข้า, ใช้
- advertisement (noun): advert; a short piece of video or words with pictures that makes people interesting in buying some product - การโฆษณา
- advertising: telling the public about a product or a service, political candidate, etc. in order to encourage people to buy, use or support it - การโฆษณา
- agency (noun): a company or organisation that arranges for some service or workers to be provided to other companies and people - บริษัทตัวแทน, สำนักงานตัวแทน, หน่วยงานบริการ
- aided: helped - ช่วยเหลือ
- alter: to change - เปลี่ยนแปลง
- association: an official group of people who have joined together for a particular purpose - สมาคม
- audio-visual: involving/using both sound and pictures - สตทัศน-
- augmented reality (noun): a technology that combines a live view of the real world with computer generated images -
- broadband (noun): a type of connection to the Internet that allows you to receive or send a lot of information very quickly - ระบบการสื่อสารแถบความถี่กว้าง
- burgeoning (adj): beginning to grow or develop rapidly - กระจาย, ขยายไปอย่างเร็ว
- comparison: the process of comparing two or more people or things - การเปรียบเทียบ
- conduct: to do something in an organised way; to carry out — - ลงมือทำ, ดำเนิน, ปฏิบัติ
- content: the subject, ideas, or story that a piece of writing or a radio or television programme deals with - เนื้อหา,สาระ
- courtesy of: with the official permission of somebody/something and as a favour -
- creator: a person who has made or invented a particular thing - ผู้ออกแบบ, เจ้าตำรับ, ผู้ประดิษฐ์
- credit: to believe or say that somebody/something is responsible for doing something, especially something good - ให้เกียรติ, ยกย่อง, ให้เครดิต
- device (noun): a machine or piece of equipment that does a particular job - อุปกรณ์ เครื่องมือ เครื่องจักร
- e-commerce (noun): business that is conducted on the Internet - อีคอมเมิร์ซ (การพาณิชย์อิเล็กทรอนิกส์)
- engaging with: making an effort to understand and deal with someone or something - ประสานกับ, มีส่วนร่วมใน
- environment: a place, including all the physical conditions that affect it - สภาพแวดล้อม, สิ่งแวดล้อม
- era: a period of time that has a particular quality or character - ยุค, สมัย
- estimate: an amount that you guess or calculate using the information available - ประมาณการ
- exceed (verb): to be more than; to go beyond - เกินกว่า, เกิน, มากกว่า
- firm: a business or company - บริษัท
- fondness: a fondness or liking for something - ความชอบ
- fuel: any material that produces heat or power, usually when it is burnt - เชื้อเพลิง
- in terms of (verb): measured by -
- independent: not connected with or influenced by something; not connected with each other - ซึ่งเป็นอิสระ, ไม่ขึ้นกับใคร
- infrastructure: the set of systems within a place or organisation that affect how well it operates, for example the transport and communication systems in a country - ระบบสาํธารนูปโภค
- mass: large numbers - จำนวนมหาศาล
- nationwide: throughout a whole country - ทั่วทั้งประเทศ
- network: a large system of connected parts, organisations, people, etc. - เครือข่าย
- offline: not on the internet; not connected to the internet -
- overall (adj): total; including all the things or people that are involved in a particular situation; general - ทั้งหมด, โดยทั่วไป
- platform (noun): a type of media or way of distributing information , e.g., websites, newspapers, magazines, video, etc. -
- policy (noun): a set of plans or action agreed on by a government, political party, business, or other group - นโยบาย
- population (noun): all the people who live in a particular area, city or country; the total number of people who live there - ประชากร, พลเมือง, จำนวนประชากร
- predict: to say that an event or action will happen in the future, especially as a result of knowledge or experience - คาดการณ์ว่า พยากรณ์จากสถิติว่า
- preference: something that you want or like most - ความต้องการ
- professional: doing something as a paid job rather than as a hobby - ที่ทำเป็นอาชีพ
- ranking: the position of somebody/something on a scale that shows how good or important they are in relation to other similar people or things, especially in sport - อันดับ
- retail: to sell directly to the public for their own use - ขายปลีก
- retain: to keep - รักษา
- reveal: to let something become known - เปิดเผย
- revenue: income from taxes or business activities - รายได้
- rocket (noun): a vehicle shaped like a tube that travels very fast up into the air and space - จรวด, เครื่องยนต์จรวด, ขีปนาวุธหรือยานอวกาศที่ขับเคลื่อนด้วยจรวด, พลุ, พลุสัญญาณ, ดอกไม้ไฟ
- rough: not exact; not including all details - คร่าวๆ
- rush (verb): to move or do something very quickly - รีบเร่ง, วิ่ง
- sector: a part of a country’s economic or business activity - ภาค (เศรษฐกิจ)
- sharp: sudden and rapid, especially of a change in something - ฉับพลัน, กะทันหัน
- simulation: a situation in which a particular set of conditions is created artificially in order to study or experience something that could exist in reality - การจำลอง
- social media: the use of web-based and mobile technologies to turn communication into an interactive dialogue, e.g., Facebook, Twitter, etc. - เครือข่ายสังคมออนไลน์
- subscriber: someone who pays money to an organization in order to receive a product, use a service regularly or support the organisation - ผู้ใช้บริการ
- substitute: to replace someone/something - แทน,สับเปลี่ยน
- surround: to be everywhere around something - ล้อมรอบ
- survey: the act of examining and recording available information - การสำรวจ, การหาข้อมูล
- telecom: a business in the telecommunications industry - โทรคมนาคม)
- transaction: a business dealing - การติดต่อทางธุรกิจ
- user-generated content (noun): content (video, audio, text, etc.) created by those who use a service, e.g., a social media website, rather than those who run it -
- virtual reality: images and sounds that are produced by a computer and connected equipment to make the user feel as if they are in real three-dimensional space - สภาวะเสมือนจริงที่จำลองโดยเทคนิคทางคอมพิวเตอร์
- wireless: a system of sending and receiving signals without wires - ไร้สาย
- worldwide: throughout the world - ทั่วโลก