Apple reveals waterproof iPhone 7 models
Apple on Wednesday set out to make a splash with new waterproof iPhones, a smartphone game starring Nintendo's beloved "Mario" and a push on wireless headphones. (Video included.)
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Apple makes splash with waterproof iPhones
San Francisco, Sept 7, 2016, AFP – Apple on Wednesday set out to make a splash with new waterproof iPhones, a smartphone game starring Nintendo's beloved "Mario" and a push on wireless headphones.
The iPhone 7 and larger iPhone 7 Plus, with new camera technology, improved water resistance and other features, were shown off to applause at an Apple media event in San Francisco.
The flagship devices will be sold at roughly the same price as the models they replace, starting at $649 for the iPhone 7 for US customers, with deliveries in 25 countries beginning September 16.
Revered Nintendo game designer Shigeru Miyamoto was a surprise guest at the Apple event, unveiling a new "Super Mario Run" game heading for the iPhone by the year-end holidays.
"We want as many people of all ages to be able to play Super Mario Run," Miyamoto said.
"We plan to release it at a set price, and then you can play to your heart's content." The price was not disclosed.
The new Apple Watch Series 2 is "swimproof" and features GPS, making it unnecessary to carry a smartphone for fitness activities. Users will also be able to play Pokemon Go. /AFP PHOTO/Josh Edelson
Apple, Nintendo and game maker Niantic used the event to announce the wildly popular Pokemon Go would be available for Apple Watch users later this month.
One new iPhone feature – which may ruffle some feathers – is the removal of the headphone jack, requiring audio to be delivered via Apple's proprietary "lightning" connector or by wireless.
Apple CEO Tim Cook talks about the new "AirPods" wireless ear pieces. /AFP PHOTO/Josh Edelson
Lightning connectors were designed from the outset to handle high-quality audio, Apple vice president Phil Schiller told the unveiling event, responding to concerns about the jack removal.
"It comes down to one reason: courage, the courage to move on," Schiller said of the decision to get rid of the traditional headset port.
"Our smartphones are packed with technologies and we all want more, and it is all fighting for space in that same enclosure. Maintaining an old, single-purpose connector just doesn't make sense."
Apple "AirPods" wireless ear pieces and adaptors to plug old-fashioned wired headsets into Lightening ports will come with iPhone 7 models, according to Schiller.
The new-generation iPhones and Apple Watch boast the ability to get wet without getting ruined.
"The first Apple Watch was splash-proof, the Apple Watch Series 2 is swim-proof," Apple chief operating officer Jeff Williams said during the presentation.
Apple chief executive Tim Cook said the new smartphones take advantage of the latest iPhone software, iOS 10.
"We are about to launch iOS 10, our biggest iOS release ever. It is jam-packed with new features," Cook said.
"Now of course the world's most advanced mobile operating system deserves the most advanced smartphone, and here it is."
Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller talks about the dual camera system on the iPhone 7 Plus. /AFP PHOTO /Josh Edelson
The iPhone 7 Plus, Apple's version of a "phablet," includes dual cameras to improve optical performance and photo quality, the company said.
On the wearables front, its new Apple Watch Series 2 will also feature GPS – allowing people to gather fitness during an outdoor workout without needing to take along a smartphone.
Video If you have read the story above, you should be able to follow the audio on the video quite well. If not, it may be a bit difficult.
Learn from listening
- adaptor (noun): a device for connecting pieces of electrical equipment that were not designed to fit together - สิ่งที่ปรับให้สิ่งสองสิ่งเข้ากัน
- advanced (adj): having the most modern and recently developed ideas, methods, etc - ก้าวหน้า, สมัยใหม่
- applause: showing enjoyment or approval of something such as a performance or speech by clapping the hands repeatedly to make a noise - การปรบมือแสดงความชื่นชม
- audio: sound - เสียง
- available: that you can get, use, find or buy - มีอยู่, หาได้
- beloved: loved very much by somebody; very popular with somebody - เป็นที่รัก, ที่รักมาก
- chief executive: the person with the highest rank in a company or an organisation - ผู้บริหารสูงสุด
- concerns: worries - ความกังวล
- connection: something that connects two things, etc. - การเชื่อมต่อ การเชื่อมโยง
- courage (noun): the ability to do something that you know is right or good, even though it is dangerous, frightening, or very difficult - ความกล้าหาญ
- customer (noun): a person or an organisation that buys something from a shop/store or business - ลูกค้า
- data: facts or information, especially when examined and used to find out things or to make decisions - ข้อมูล, ตัวเลข, สถิติ
- decision (noun): a choice or judgement that you make after thinking and talking about what is the best thing to do - การตัดสินใจ
- delivery (noun): the act of taking/sending goods, letters, information, etc. to the people they have been sent to - การส่ง, การส่งสินค้า
- deserve: of something that you earn or are given because of your behavior or qualities - สมควรได้รับ
- device (noun): a machine or piece of equipment that does a particular job - อุปกรณ์ เครื่องมือ เครื่องจักร
- disclose: to make known to the public - เปิดเผยต่อสาธารณะ
- enclosure (noun): a closed space -
- event: a planned public or social occasion - งานสังคม
- feature: something important, interesting or typical of a place or thing - จุดเด่น, คุณสมบัติ
- flagship: the most important product, service, building, etc. that an organisation owns or produces - ผลิตภัณฑ์หรือบริการหลัก
- generation: a group of people in society, a type of technology, a system, etc. which exists at a certain time - รุ่น
- get rid of: to remove something that is causing a problem; to throw something away - กำจัดหรือขจัดให้หมดไป
- jack (noun): an electronic connection between two pieces of electrical equipment - ตัวเชื่อมกระแสไฟ
- jam-packed (adj): very busy; very crowded - อัดแน่นไป
- launch: to start selling a new product or service to the public - เริ่มวางขาย
- maintain: to keep - รักษา
- make a splash (idiom): to do something that catches people's interest and attention -
- make sense: to be practical and sensible - เข้าท่า, เข้าท่า เหมาะสม
- media: radio, television, newspaper, the Internet, considered as a group - สื่อ
- old-fashioned: not modern; no longer fashionable - ที่ล้าสมัย
- operating system: a set of programs that controls the way a computer works and runs other programs - ระบบปฏิบัติการซึ่งควบคุมการทำงานของคอมพิวเตอร์
- optical (adj): used to help you see something more clearly; connected with the sense of sight or the relationship between light and sight - เกี่ยวกับสายตา
- outset: beginning -
- plug: to fill a hole with a piece of suitable material - อุดรู, ปิดรู
- popular (adj): a situation in which someone or something is liked by many people - เป็นที่นิยม, เป็นที่ชื่นชอบ
- port (noun): a place on a computer that cables or wires can be attached to send data to or communicate with the computer -
- presentation (noun): a formal talk given to an audience on some subject or topic - การนำเสนอ, การนำเสนอข้อมูล
- proprietary (adj): owned by a person or company, so cannot be used without their permission - ซึ่งเป็นของผู้ครอบครอง
- release: the act of making something available to the public - การนำออกแสดง, การออกวางจำหน่าย
- removal: taking something away - การเอาออกจาก
- replace: to change from one thing to another - แทน
- resistance (noun): the power not to be affected by something, e.g., bacteria developing resistance to medications - แรงต้านทาน, การทนทาน
- respond: to say or do something as a reaction to something that has been said or done - ตอบสนอง, ตอบรับ
- roughly: approximately but not exactly - โดยประมาณ, อย่างคร่าวๆ
- ruffle feathers (idiom): to annoy or upset somebody or a group of people - ทำให้อารมณ์เสีย, รบกวน
- ruin: to damage something so badly that it loses all its value, pleasure, etc; to spoil something - ทำลาย
- set price (noun): a single, unchanging price -
- take advantage of (verb): to use something to get some benefit or "advantage" from - ใช้เป็นประโยชน์
- to your heart's content (idiom): as much as you want -
- traditional: things (buildings, clothes, music, customs, etc.) that have been part of a country or society for a long time - แบบดั้งเดิม, เป็นประเพณี
- unveil: to announce something that was not known before - เปิดเผยข้อมูล
- unveil: to show or introduce a new plan, product, etc. to the public for the first time - เปิดเผย, ประกาศให้รู้ทั่วไป
- waterproof: that does not let water through or that cannot be damaged by water - ซึ่งกันน้ำได้
- wearable (adj): able to be worn - สามารถที่จะสวมใส่ได้
- wildly: extremely; very -
- wireless: a system of sending and receiving signals without wires - ไร้สาย