Lumpini Park lizard removal nets 40
The large media presence was blamed for the BMA's failure to catch any monitor lizards yesterday morning, but in quieter circumstances in the afternoon, officials managed to catch and remove 40 of the animals. (Video included)
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
40 monitor lizards ousted from Lumpini
Around 40 Asian water monitor lizards were captured yesterday in Lumpini Park in an attempt by City Hall to reduce the lizard population in the park.
The lizards are set to be removed from the park this morning and will be released in the Khaoson Wildlife Breeding Centre in nearby Ratchaburi's Chom Bung district.
BMA officials came up empty (they caught no lizards) in the morning, blaming the rain and large media contingent. They did meet their target of 40 in the afternoon, however. Another operation is planned for October.
The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's (BMA) Department of Environment Director Suwanna Jungrungrueng said yesterday her department has received complaints about the increasing lizard population in the park.
According to the director, some people became frightened by the reptiles when they came face to face with them in the park. Bicycle riders complained that the lizards would sometimes pop up from swampy ground and walk along lanes, causing accidents.
Although the presence of the lizards indicates the park's fertility, she said, they sometimes damage flower beds and their increasing population could affect the ecology of the park.
There are an estimated 400 Asian water monitor lizards, between one and three metres long, living in the Lumpini Park.
She said the BMA had sought help from wildlife officials at the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation to observe the removal of the reptiles.
Asian water monitor lizards are a protected species, she said, adding it is illegal to catch or remove endangered animals without permission from the authorities.
Ms Suwanna insisted the removal is being carried out in a manner that meets proper standards.
You can see how to catch a monitor lizard here. It's not that difficult, actually.
Nipon Boonyapattharo, vice president of We Love Lumpini Park Foundation and a former Nakhon Si Thammarat governor, said he did not agree with the move to catch and relocate the lizards.
He said he has been cycling in the park for over 10 years and has never seen anyone being harmed by the lizards.
The BMA should use its time more efficiently on other missions instead of wasting time on this, he added.
BMA officials failed to catch any lizards yesterday morning as they said too many local and international media members were gathered. They managed to meet their target of 40 lizards later in the afternoon after moving on to quieter areas.
Learn from listening
- accident (noun): an unpleasant event that happens unexpectedly and causes injury or damage - อุปัทวเหตุ, เหตุบังเอิญ
- authorities: people who have the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA): the local government of Bangkok - กรุงเทพมหานคร
- breeding: the producing of young animals, plants, etc - การผสมพันธุ์สัตว์เพื่อขยายพันธุ์
- City Hall: a city government, in this case, the Bangkok city government - กรุงเทพมหานคร
- complaint: when someone says that something is wrong or not satisfactory - การร้องเรียน
- contingent: a group of people who have something in common - คณะ
- Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (noun): an agency of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment responsible for overseeing the country's national parks, wildlife and plants - กรมอุทยานแห่งชาติ สัตว์ป่า และพันธุ์พืช
- ecology: the relationships between the air, land, water, animals, plants, etc., usually of a particular area - ความสัมพันธ์ระหว่างสิ่งมีชีวิตในระบบนิเวศน์
- efficiently: done in an effective, organised way - อย่างมีประสิทธิภาพ
- endangered: at risk or in danger of being harmed, damaged or destroyed - เป็นอันตราย
- environment: the place in which people live and work, including all the physical conditions that affect them - สภาพแวดล้อม, สิ่งแวดล้อม
- estimated: thought to be a particular amount, size, etc. based on a guess or the best information available - ประมาณการ
- fertility (noun): the ability to have babies; how many babies women have in a country - ภาวะเจริญพันธุ์, อัตราการเกิดของประชากร,
- foundation: an organisation that provides money for things such as medical research or for a charity - มูลนิธิ
- frightened (adj): afraid; feeling fear - กลัว, ตกใจ, สะดุ้งตกใจกลัว
- gather (verb): to come/bring together in a group - รวมกลุ่ม, รวมตัวกัน, จับกลุ่มกัน, ชุมนุม
- harm (verb): to cause damage to someone/something - ทำร้าย, ทำอันตราย, ทำลาย
- illegal: against the law - ผิดกฎหมาย, นอกกฎหมาย
- indicate: to show that something is true, exists or will happen - แสดง, ทำให้รู้
- insist: to keep saying very firmly that something is true - ยืนกราน ยืนยัน
- local: in or related to the area that you live, or to the particular area that you are talking about - ท้องถิ่น
- manner: way - วิธีการ
- media: radio, television, newspaper, the Internet, considered as a group - สื่อ
- mission: an important piece of work that a person or a group of people has been given to do - ภาระกิจ หน้าที่
- monitor lizard: a large tropical reptile with four short legs and a long tail - เหี้ย
- observe: to watch or study someone or something with care - สังเกตการณ์
- ousted (verb): forced out of a place - ขับออกจาก
- permission: allowing someone to do something - การอนุญาต,การอนุมัติ,การยินยอม
- pop up: to appear suddenly -
- population: all the animals or plants of a particular type or group who live in one country, area or place - กลุ่มพืชและสัตว์ที่อาศัยอยู่ในบริเวณหนึ่ง
- presence: when someone or something is in a place - การอยู่ในสถานที่หนึ่ง (ของบุคคล)
- proper: right, appropriate or correct; according to the rules - เหมาะสม
- release: to allow someone or something to go free - ปล่อย
- relocate: to move something to a new place - ย้ายที่ใหม่
- removal: taking something or someone away from somewhere, or off something - การย้ายออก, การเคลื่อนย้ายได้, การถอนออก
- remove (verb): to take something away - เอาออกจาก
- reptile: any animal that has cold blood and skin covered in scales, and that lays eggs, e.g., snakes, crocodiles, etc. - สัตว์เลื้อยคลาน
- sought (past tense of seek): tried to find - เสาะหา
- species: a set of animals or plants in which the members have similar characteristics to each other and can breed with each other - พันธ์,จำพวก
- standards: a level of quality that is normal or acceptable for a particular person or in a particular situation - มาตรฐาน, บรรทัดฐาน
- swampy: covered with water, trees and plants - ซึ่งเป็นหนองน้ำ, ฉอะแฉะ
- target: a particular number or amount that you want to achieve - เป้าหมาย
- wildlife: animals, birds, insects, etc. that are wild and live in a natural environment - สัตว์ป่า