Nan food poisoning traced to eclairs, 38 hospitalised
The number of people hospitalised after after eating eclairs at branches of a big retail store in Nan township rose to 38 on Wednesday as health inspectors began a full inquiry.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
NAN – The number of people hospitalised after after eating eclairs at branches of a big retail store in Nan township rose to 38 on Wednesday as health inspectors began a full inquiry.
Dr Pongthep Wongwatcharapaiboon, deputy director of Nan Hospital, and a team of health officials inspected the production process for the eclairs at the Makro outlet in Muang district to find the cause of the food poisoning.
Officials said that in all 38 people who purchased the cream puffs had sought treatment at several hospitals in six districts – Muang, Phu Phiang, Ban Luang, Mae Charim, Santisuk and Chiang Klang.
Most patients bought the dessert from the same retail store in this northern province, Dr Pongthep said. Many suffered acute diarrhea, dizziness and vomiting, said the doctor.
The hospital believed there might be some irregularities in the ingredients and production process, he said. If the dessert was contaminated with bacteria, consumers would develop symptoms in six hours to two days.
But most patients quickly fell ill after eating, suggesting that there might be some chemicals in the ingredients, said the hospital’s deputy director.
Sakolkrit Sukhawattanakul, manager of the store’s outlets in the North, said a thorough examination would be made of the production process to find out the exact cause of the food poisoning.
Production and sale of the eclairs would cease until the matter is cleared up .
He would visit the patients and take responsibility for the incident.
Learn from listening
- acute: very serious or severe - หนัก, รุนแรง
- bacteria: the simplest and smallest forms of life. Bacteria exist in large numbers in air, water and soil, and also in living and dead creatures and plants, and are often a cause of disease - แบ็กทีเรีย, เชื้อแบกทีเรีย
- branch: an office, company, shop, etc., representing a large company or organisation in a particular area - สาขา
- cause: the person or thing that makes something happen - สาเหตุ
- cease: to stop - จบ, ยุติ
- contaminated: made dirty, polluted or poisonous by the addition of a chemical, waste or infection - ปนเปื้อน
- deputy: a person whose rank is immediately below that of the leader of an organisation - รอง
- dessert: sweet food eaten at the end of a meal - ของหวาน, ขนมหวาน
- diarrhea: an illness in which you pass solid waste from your body too often and in a liquid form - อาการท้องร่วง
- director (noun): the head of a large organisation, especially a public organisation - อธิบดี
- district (noun): an area of a country, town or province, especially one that has particular features - เขต, อำเภอ, บริเวณ, แขวง
- dizziness: feeling as if everything is spinning around you and that you are not able to balance - เวียนศีรษะ
- eclair (noun): a long thin cake for one person, made of light pastry, filled with cream and usually with chocolate on top a chocolate eclair - ขนมหวานรูปไข่มีครีมอยู่ข้างใน
- exact (adj.): done, made, or described in a very thorough way, with all the details correct - ถูกต้องแม่นยำ
- food poisoning: when people get sick after eating food because it was spoiled or rotten already and there was bacteria growing in it - อาหารเป็นพิษ, ภาวะอาหารเป็นพิษ
- hospitalise: to send somebody to a hospital for treatment - ให้อยู่โรงพยาบาล
- incident: something that happens, usually something bad - เหตุการณ์
- ingredients: the substances that are combined to make something - ส่วนผสม
- inquiry: an official examination of a problem, crime, accident, etc. in order to get information or the truth - การไต่สวนหาข้อเท็จจริง การไต่สวน
- inspect: to look at something carefully - ตรวจสอบ, ตรวจสอบอย่างละเอียด
- inspector : an official whose job is to check that things are in the correct condition or that people are doing what they should - ผู้ตรวจสอบ
- irregularity: something that is not according to what is expected - ความผิดปกติ
- matter: a situation or subject which is being dealt with or considered - เรื่อง, ภารกิจ, งาน
- outlet (noun): a shop or place where a particular product is sold - ร้านขายสินค้า, ร้านขายสินค้าจากโรงงาน
- patient: someone who is receiving medical treatment - คนป่วย, คนไข้
- process: a series of actions that you take in order to achieve a result - แนวทางปฏิบัติ, กระบวน, วิธีการ
- production: the process of growing or making food, goods or materials, especially large quantities - การผลิต
- purchase: to buy something - ซื้อ
- relative: a member of your family - ญาติพี่น้อง
- retail: to sell directly to the public for their own use - ขายปลีก
- sought (past tense of seek): tried to get/do something; asked for something - พยายามได้, พยายามได้มา
- suffer: to experience something very unpleasant or painful - ประสบ
- suggest: to show that something is possibly true - ชวนคิด
- symptoms (noun): signs that someone has an illness - อาการ
- take responsibility: to say or admit you are the cause of something, usually something bad (and, often, to do what needs to be done to correct the situation) - แสดงความรับผิดชอบ
- thorough: detailed and careful - ละเอียดถี่ถ้วน
- toll: the number of deaths and injuries caused by a disaster, accident, disease, etc. - การสูญเสีย
- township (noun): a division of a county that is a unit of local government - เขตชุมชน, เขตการปกครองท้องถิ่น
- treatment: the process of providing medical care - การรักษา
- vomit: to empty the contents of the stomach through the mouth - อาเจียน