Kim Kardashian, tied up and robbed at gunpoint in Paris, flees to New York
Reality star Kim Kardashian jetted home to the United States on Monday to be comforted by husband Kanye West, after being tied up at gunpoint in Paris and robbed of jewelry worth $10 million.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
In the reality TV world, no one is bigger than Kim Kardashian. Her comings and goings are reported in the tabloids every day. After the unsettling event in Paris, she is certain to get even more coverage. Notice that even a news agency like AFP couldn't resist describing how she and others in the story were dressed.
Kardashian flees to NY after $10 mln Paris robbery
New York, Oct 3, 2016, AFP – Reality star Kim Kardashian jetted home to the United States on Monday to be comforted by husband Kanye West, after being tied up at gunpoint in Paris and robbed of jewellery worth $10 million.
The multimillionaire mother of two and wife of the American rap superstar, was holed up at a luxury apartment in New York's swish Tribeca neighbourhood "badly shaken but physically unharmed" after the assault.
Kardashian and her husband stepped out of the back seat of a car after a convoy bristling with bodyguards pulled up to the apartment block, as seen in a video posted on celebrity news website TMZ.
Kardashian kept her head down and ignored questions from reporters about how she was doing, her long hair hiding her face. She wore baggy eggplant-colored pants, towering black stilettos and a plunging black top.
West kept to his usual street cool of jogging bottoms, green anorak and a grey hoodie as he walked behind his wife into the building, where a five-bedroom penthouse was recently on the market for $24.5 million.
Kardashian matriarch Kris Jenner also went to the apartment building, an AFP photographer said, dressed in black and also ignoring questions from reporters about her and her daughter's state of mind.
Her daughter – a California-based TV and social media star who earned $51 million last year according to Forbes – has yet to speak out publicly about the assault.
French police said the 35-year-old was "tied up and locked in the bathroom" of a residence in the chic Madeleine district of Paris, near the city's main department stores. The crime occurred at 2:30 am (0030 GMT) on Monday.
Journalists work as police officers stand guard at the entrance to a hotel residence at the Rue Tronchet, near Madeleine, central Paris, on October 3, 2016, where US reality television star Kim Kardashian was robbed at gunpoint by assailants disguised as police who made off with millions, mainly in jewellery./ AFP PHOTO / Thomas SAMSON
A police source said the robbers made off with a ring worth around four million euros ($4.5 million) and a case of jewellery with a value of five million euros ($5.6 million). Two mobile phones were also taken.
Police said five men were involved and two of them entered Kardashian's bedroom in the luxury residence where she has stayed before.
The robbers zip-tied Kardashian's hands with plastic handcuffs, duct-taped her mouth and ankles, dumping her in the bathtub, TMZ reported. The star later told police that she feared she was about to be raped, the website said.
The robbers allegedly kept saying "ring, ring" and Kardashian told them where to find a new ring she got from her husband – a photograph of which she posted to social media last Friday – TMZ added.
Kardashian's spokeswoman said "two armed masked men dressed as police officers" burst into her room.
Another member of the gang restrained the building's security guard during the robbery, but he was unhurt, police said.
Investigators say the assailants may have fled on bicycles.
Kardashian flew out of France on a private jet after being questioned by police about the robbery. She had been in the French capital attending Paris Fashion Week.
Learn from listening
- allegedly: claimed to have done something wrong, but not yet proven - ที่ถูกกล่าวหา
- ankle: the part at the bottom of your leg where your foot joins your leg - ข้อเท้า
- anorak (noun): a short coat with a hood that is worn as protection against rain, wind and cold - เสื้อแจ๊คเกตตัวหนาและใหญ่ มีหมวก (ใช้สวมในที่มีอากาศหนาวเย็นมาก
- armed: carrying a weapon - ติดอาวุธ
- assailant: someone who violently attacks another person - ผู้ทำร้าย
- assault: attacking someone violently - การทำร้ายร่างกาย
- at gunpoint: when someone has a gun pointing at them -
- baggy: clothes that are too big or very loose on a person - เป็นถุง,โป่ง,คล้ายถุง
- block: a building containing many different sections or apartments -
- bodyguard: a person or a group of people who are employed to protect somebody - องครักษ์,คนคุ้มกัน
- bristle with (verb): to contain a large number of something -
- burst: to move or break into a place very suddenly - พังเข้า, รีบเข้า
- capital: the most important town or city of a country, usually where the central government operates from - เมืองหลวง
- celebrity: someone who is famous, especially in the entertainment business - คนมีชื่อเสียง
- certain: sure - แน่ใจ, แน่นอน
- chic (adjective): the latest things that are beautiful, fashionable, stylish and up-to-date - ความสวยงามทันสมัย
- comfort: to make somebody who is worried or unhappy feel better by being kind and sympathetic towards them - ปลอบประโลม, ปลอบใจ
- comings and goings (noun): the daily activities of a famous person, especially their arrivals and departures from various events -
- convoy: a group of vehicles (or ships) travelling together - ขบวนรถ, ขบวนเรือ
- cool: staying calm, not getting excited or upset or nervous - ควบคุมอารมณ์
- coverage: the reporting of news and sport in newspapers and on the radio, television or social media - การรายงานข่าว
- crime: an illegal activity or action - อาชญากรรม
- disguised: wearing or doing somethiing to change the way that you look so that people will not recognise you - ปลอมตัว
- duct-tape (verb): to put a wide silvery adhesive tape on something to seal or attach it -
- dump (verb): to get rid of, to cause to fall (rain, snow, etc.) - ทิ้ง
- fled (past of flee): escaped; left an area very quickly because of a danger there - หนีไป
- flee: to leave a place or person quickly because you are afraid of possible danger - หนี อพยพ
- handcuffs: two metal rings joined by a short chain which lock around a prisoner's wrists on someone - กุญแจมือ
- hole up: to hide in a place - ซ่อนตัว
- hoodie: a sweatshirt with a hood - เสื้อกีฬาแขนยาวที่มีหมวกคลุมศีรษะ
- ignore: to fail to pay attention to; to pretend that you have not noticed or do not know about something - เพิกเฉย
- investigators (noun): people whose jobs are to officially find out the facts about something - ผู้สอบสวน, ผู้สำรวจ, ผู้ตรวจสอบ
- involved (verb): taking part or having a role in something - เกี่ยวข้อง, มีบทบาท
- jewellery: objects such as rings and necklaces that people wear as decoration - เพชรพลอย,อัญมณี
- journalist: a person who writes news stories or articles for a newspaper or magazine or broadcasts them on radio or television - ผู้สื่อข่าว
- luxury: the best and most expensive of something - ที่หรูหรา
- made off with (verb): stole something and hurried away with it - ฉกหนีไป, ขโมยและรีบหนีไป
- masked: wearing something to cover part or all of your face in order to hide who you are - ซึ่งสวมหน้ากาก
- matriarch (noun): a woman who is the head of a family or social group - หัวหน้าครอบครัวหรือชนเผ่าซึ่งเป็นหญิง
- multimillionaire (noun): a person who has money and possessions worth several million pounds, dollars, etc. - มหาเศรษฐี,
- neighbourhood (noun): a particular area of a city or town or other area - ละแวก, ย่าน
- news agency (noun): an organisation that collects news and supplies it to newspapers and television and radio companies - สำนักข่าว, องค์กรรวบรวมข่าวให้สื่อมวลชน
- penthouse: บ้านเล็กบนหลังคาตึก, บ้านเล็กบนหลังคาตึก ,เพิงหมาแหงน, เพิง, บ้านหลังคมเพิงหมาแหงน; บ้านที่อยู่บนยอดตึก -
- physically: in a way that is connected with a person's body rather than their mind - ด้านร่างกาย, เกี่ยวกับร่างกาย
- plunging: having a deep curve at the neck to show part of the breasts - คอเว้าลึก
- private: owned by a particular person or group - ของเอกชน
- publicly: intending to be seen or heard by people in general - อย่างเปิดเผย
- rape: to commit the crime of forcefully having sex with someone against their wish - ข่มขืน
- reporters (noun): people whose job is to write articles or make broadcasts about events in the news - ผู้สื่อข่าว, นักข่าว
- residence: a place where someone lives - ที่พำนัก ที่อาศัย
- resist: to stop yourself from having something you like or doing something you very much want to do - อดทน, อดกลั้น, ทนต่อ
- restrain: to stop somebody/something from doing something, often, but not always, by using physical force - กักขัง, ยับยั้ง, จำกัด
- robbed: to have money stolen from you directly, with a person threatening you, hitting you or using a gun - การปล้น, การโจรกรรม
- robbery: the crime of stealing money or goods from a bank, shop/store, person, etc - การปล้น, การโจรกรรม
- security guard (noun): a person who checks people's bags or watches over a building at night to make things safe - ยาม, คนเฝ้าสถานที่ หรือระวังเหตุการณ์ตามกำหนดเวลา; ผู้เฝ้าประตู, บุคคลที่คอยมุ่งเอาใจใส่หรือดูแลการเข้า-ออกของผู้คนอยู่ที่ประตู
- shaken: shocked, upset or frightened by something - วิตก กังวล
- social media: the use of web-based and mobile technologies to turn communication into an interactive dialogue, e.g., Facebook, Twitter, etc. - เครือข่ายสังคมออนไลน์
- source: someone who gives information - แหล่งข่าว
- stand guard (verb): to watch or protect somebody/something - เฝ้ายาม, รักษาความปลอดภัย
- state of mind (noun): how someone feels mentally at a particular time สภาพจิต - สภาพจิต
- stiletto: a woman's shoe with a very high narrow heel; the heel on such a shoe - รองเท้าส้นเข็ม
- surrounded: having something,people, etc. completely around all sides - ถูกล้อมรอบ
- swish (adj): looking expensive and fashionable -
- tabloid: a type of popular newspaper with small pages which has many pictures and short simple reports - หนังสือพิมพ์ขนาดเล็กที่รวมเรื่องสั้นต่างๆ ไว้
- tied up: when somebody's arms and legs are tied tightly with a rope or something similar so that they cannot move or escape - มัดด้วยเชือก
- towering: very high or tall - สูงลิ่ว, สูงตระหง่าน, สูงเสียดเมฆ
- unharmed: not hurt or damaged - ไม่ได้รับบาดเจ็บ
- unsettling (adj): making someone/something unstable; making someone feel nervous, confused, or upset ทำให้ไม่มั่นคง, ทำให้รู้สึกไม่มั่นคง, ทำให้ไม่สบายใจจากการเปลี่ยนแปลง -