Crown Prince asks for time as Prem becomes Regent pro tempore
HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn has said he would like to take some time to grieve before accepting the invitation to become the new king. Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda has therefore been named Regent pro tempore.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Prem becomes Regent pro tempore
Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda
Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda has been named Regent pro tempore following the passing of His Majesty the King on Thursday, NLA vice-president Peerasak Porjit said on Friday.
Gen Prem's appointment is in line with the constitution, which states that the council president is acting regent when the throne is vacant, according to Section 24.
"Pending the proclamation of the name of the Heir or the Successor to the Throne under Article 23, the President of the Privy Council shall be Regent pro tempore," the constitution says.
The duty of the Regent pro tempore ends when a meeting of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) invites the heir to ascend the throne, according to Section 23.
The NLA vice-president said the NLA meeting on Thursday evening was held under Section 2 of the interim constitution which the cabinet should have submitted the heir name for acknowledgment. Then the NLA chairman would invite the heir to step on the throne.
However, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha informed the NLA on Thursday that the heir, HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, would like to take some time to grieve with the nation before accepting the invitation to become the new king.
Therefore, a regent pro tempore is needed during this transition period. Mr Peerasak said the Privy Council president would automatically take that position.
Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam also confirmed on Friday night that the Privy Council president has been named the regent.
Gen Prem, 96, was appointed council president in 1988, succeeding former prime minister Sanya Dharmasakti.
Gen Prem was prime minister for eight years from 1980.
Prayut: Prince asks for time
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said he had been granted an audience with the Crown Prince, who told him he would like to take some time to grieve with the nation before accepting the invitation to become the new king.
"His Royal Highness would like to wait for an appropriate time," Gen Prayut said.
At 9pm on Thursday, the National Legislative Assembly acknowledged the passing of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej and its president will invite His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn to ascend the throne by law and tradition shortly.
The Royal Household Bureau statement on the king's passing was read out at the NLA and its members held a moment of silence for nine minutes. Constitutionally, the next step is for NLA president to invite HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn to become the new king.
His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn presided over a ceremony on September 23 at the statue of Prince Mahidol of Songkla, the father of His Majesty the King, at Siriraj Hospital to mark Mahidol Day. THITI WANNAMONTHA
According to Section 23 of the 2007 constitution, when the throne becomes vacant and the king has already appointed his Heir under the 1924 Palace Law on Succession, the cabinet shall notify the Parliament president, who will convene members for acknowledgement.
The parliament president will then invite the Heir to ascend the throne and proclaim him King, according to the provision.
Since there is no Senate or House of Representatives at the moment, the 250-member National Legislative Assembly will act as parliament.
All National Legislative Assembly members remained silent for nine minutes during a meeting on Thursday night which acknowledged the passing of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej. KITJA APICHONROJAREK
His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej appointed His Royal Highness Prince Vajiralongkorn as the Heir to the Throne on Dec 28, 1972 after which he became His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn.
Although the 2007 charter was scrapped by the 2014 coup, the 2014 interim charter uses its chapter on the King as a reference.
Earlier on Thursday, the NLA postponed its scheduled Thursday agenda indefinitely.
As tension mounted throughout Thursday, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha cancelled a weekend trip to Goa in India for a regional summit.
The prime minister also withdrew from a dinner marking Police Day in the evening. The event was subsequently cancelled.
Learn from listening
- acknowledgement (noun.): when someone shows that they received or accept something - การยอมรับ, การแสดงความขอบคุณ, การแสดงว่าได้รับ, การรับรู้
- acting: doing the work of the usual person in a particular job while they are not there, or until a new person starts - ที่รักษาการแทน
- agenda: a list of things that people will discuss at a meeting - ระเบียบวาระ
- appointed: officially chosen for a job - ถูกแต่งตั้ง
- appropriate: (opposite: inappropriate) suitable or right for a particular situation or purpose - ที่เหมาะสม
- ascend the throne: to take the position of king or queen - ขึ้นครองราชบัลลังก์, ขึ้นครองราชย์
- assembly: a group of people who have been elected or chosen in order to discuss issues and make decisions - สภา, สมัชชา
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- chapter: a section of a law - บท
- charter: a constitution - รัฐธรรมนูญ
- constitution: the set of laws and basic principles that a country in governed by - รัฐธรรมนูญ
- constitutionally (adverb): according to what is written in a constitution - ตามรัฐธรรมนูญ
- convene: to call a meeting - เรียกประชุม
- Crown Prince: (in some countries) a prince who will become king when the present king or queen dies or leaves office - ทายาทของกษัตริย์ที่เป็นผู้ชาย
- duty: something that you have to do because it is part of your job, or something that you feel is the right thing to do - หน้าที่, ความรับผิดชอบ
- grant an audience: (of a king or queen or other member of a royal family) to allow a meeting to be held with the ruler - พระราชทานพระราชวโรกาสให้พสกนิกร หรือข้าราชการเข้าเฝ้าทูลละอองธุลีพระบาม
- grieve: to feel very sad, especially because somebody has died - เศร้าโศก, เสียใจ
- heir: a person who will legally receive money, property or a title from another person, especially an older member of the same family, when that other person dies - ทายาท, ผู้สืบสกุล, ผู้รับมรดก
- House of Representatives: the main lawmaking body in Thailand - สภาผู้แทนราษฎร
- in line with: similar to or corresponding with another thing - สอดคล้องกับ
- indefinitely: for a period of time with no fixed end - ไม่มีข้อกำหนด
- interim: temporary and intended to be used or accepted until something permanent exists - ชั่วคราว
- invitations: written or spoken requests asking someone to meet you or to do something with you - คำเชิญ
- law (noun): a rule that deals with a particular crime, agreement, etc. - กฎหมาย, ระเบียบ, กฎข้อบังคับ
- legislative: involving the part of government responsible for creating new laws - เกี่ยวข้องกับสภานิติบัญญัติ
- mark (verb): to celebrate or officially remember an event that you consider to be important - เฉลิมฉลอง, ระลึกถึง
- mount: to increase - เพิ่มขึ้น
- notify: to tell someone officially about something - แจ้ง
- palace: the official home of a king, queen, president, etc, a large impressive house - พระราชวัง, ตำหนัก, ปราสาท
- parliament: the group of people who are elected to make and change the laws of a country; the building where members of parliament meet. - รัฐสภา
- passing (noun): death - การจากไป (ตาย), การมรณภาพ, การเสียชีวิต,
- pending: waiting to be dealt with, settled or completed - ยังค้างอยู่, ซึ่งยังไม่จบสิ้น, อยู่ในระหว่าง
- position: a job - ตำแหน่ง
- postponed: delayed; decided that something will be done at a later time - เลื่อนออกไป
- presided: to be in charge of a formal meeting or ceremony - เป็นประธาน
- Privy Council: the group of appointed advisors to the King of Thailand - สภาองคมนตรีไทย
- pro tempore (noun): holding a position for the time being until a permanent replacement is selected, temporary - ชั่วคราว
- proclaim (verb): to publicly and officially tell people about something important - ประกาศอย่างเป็นทางการ, ป่าวประกาศ
- proclamation (noun): an official statement about something important that is made to the public; the act of making an official statement - การประกาศ
- provision: a part of an agreement or law that deals with a particular problem - มาตรา, บทบัญญัติ,
- reference: mentioning someone or something - การอ้างถึง, การอ้างอิง
- regent (noun): someone who governs a country in the place of a king or queen who is ill, young, or not available to govern - ผู้สำเร็จราชการ, อุปราช,ผู้ว่าการ
- regional: of or relating to a region - เกี่ยวกับภูมิภาค
- Royal Household Bureau: an agency of the Monarchy of Thailand, responsible for the upkeep of the royal palaces, royal ceremonies, public relations and the management of the royal finances - สำนักพระราชวัง
- scheduled: planned to happen at a particular time or day - ตามตารางเวลา
- scrapped: decided not to continue with something, such as a plan or event - ยุติแผนที่วางไว้
- Senate: one of the two groups of politicians who make laws in some countries, for example in the US, Australia, Canada and Thailand - วุฒิสภา
- silence: complete lack of noise or sound - ความเงียบ
- statement: something that you say or write that gives information or an opinion - แถลงการณ์, คำแถลง
- statue: a human or animal image that is made of stone, wood, metal, etc. - รูปปั้น
- submitted: formally given to someone so they can make a decision about it - ยื่นเอกสารเพื่อการพิจารณา
- subsequently: happening or coming after something else - ซึ่งตามมา
- succeed: to come next after somebody/something and take their/its place or position - รับช่วงต่อ, ดำเนินต่อ
- summit (noun): a meeting or series of meetings between leaders of or high-ranking representatives of two or more countries or organizations - การประชุมสุดยอด
- tension: the feeling of being so nervous or worried that you can’t relax - ความตึงเครียด
- the throne (noun): the position of being king or queen; the monarchy, especially the highest position (King or Queen) - ราชบัลลังก์,สถาบันกษัตริย์
- tradition: a very old custom, belief, or story - ประเพณี, ขนบธรรมเนียม
- transition: the process of changing from one situation or state to another - การเปลี่ยนถ่าย การโอน
- vacant: empty - ว่าง
- withdrew (noun): (past of 'withdraw') taken away or taken back, to no longer be involved in something - ถอน, ถอนตัว