Sukhumbhand says goodbye to Bangkokians
After serving Bangkok as governor for eight years, MR Sukhumband pledges to continue working for the people as he has done in the past.
Sukhumbhand says goodbye to Bangkokians
MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra on Wednesday bade farewell to the people of Bangkok after being removed from the office of city governor and replaced by Pol Gen Aswin Kwanmuang.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, chairman of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), invoked Section 44 of the interim charter to remove MR Sukhumbhand. The order was published in the Royal Gazette on Tuesday.
MR Sukhumbhand posted his farewell message on his Facebook page on Wednesday.
He congratulated Pol Gen Aswin and offered his moral support.
FAREWELL & THANKS
The former Bangkok governor, who was elected twice to run the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), thanked all BMA administrators and employees for their support during his nearly eight years in office.
"Most important of all, I would like to thank the people of Bangkok for electing me to work as Bangkok governor for two terms. At times of flood and political crises, all of you cooperated fully with the BMA. I will remember your kindness throughout my life.
WILL CONTINUE TO WORK FOR THE PEOPLE
"I would like to bid farewell to you all who gave me the mandate to run the city administration for the past eight years, but I will not abandon my intentions to do good things for the Thai people, including Bangkokians," he wrote.
MR Sukhumbhand said he had worked in the interests of the majority, both in the public sector and private sector.
His works included about 16 years teaching at Chulalongkorn University, 12 years as a member of the House of Representatives and nearly eight years as Bangkok governor.
During the past 30 years he had awarded nearly 2,000 scholarships to students at university level.
"I will remain committed to working for the public, without change," MR Sukhumbhand wrote.
New Bangkok Governor Police General Aswin
NEW GOVERNOR CAPABLE & SUITABLE FOR POST
Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon told reporters the appointment of Pol Gen Aswin as Bangkok governor was based on his capabilities and suitability.
Pol Gen Aswin had also coordinated with the NCPO in maintaining law and order.
Gen Prawit said the prime minister decided to remove MR Sukhumbhand because he was involved in many legal cases.
Learn from listening
- abandon: to leave someone/something - ปล่อยทิ้งไว้
- administrator (noun): someone whose job is to manage a business, organisation, institution or website - ผู้บริหาร
- appointment: when someone is officially chosen for a job - การแต่งตั้ง
- award: to give something to somebody as a prize, payment, etc - มอบให้
- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA): the local government of Bangkok - กรุงเทพมหานคร
- based on (verb): information or facts used to make a story, calculation, judgement or decision - ตั้งอยู่บน,ยึดเป็นหลัก
- capability: the ability to do something - ความสามารถ
- case: a matter that is being officially investigated or heard by a court - คดี
- chairman: the person in charge of a committee, a company, etc - ประธาน
- charter: a constitution - รัฐธรรมนูญ
- committed: willing to give your time and energy to something that you believe in - ยึดมั่น
- congratulate: to praise someone about their success, good luck or happiness on a special occasion - แสดงความยินดี
- cooperate: to work with other people to achieve a result that is good for everyone involved - ร่วมมือกัน
- coordinate: one of a set of numbers that give the exact position of something on a map or graph - พิกัด, คู่อันดับซึ่งแสดงตำแหน่งของจุดในระนาบ
- crises (noun): urgent, difficult or dangerous situations - วิกฤตการณ์
- current: of the present time - ปัจจุบัน
- deputy: a person whose rank is immediately below that of the leader of an organisation - รอง
- elect (v): - การเลือกตั้ง
- employee: someone who is paid regularly to work for a person or an organisation - ลูกจ้าง
- farewell: saying goodbye to someone when you do not expect to see them again for a long time - การกล่าวลา, การลาจาก
- flood (noun): a large amount of water covering an area that is usually dry - น้ำท่วม
- former: of or in an earlier time; before the present time or in the past - อดีต, แต่ก่อน
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- House of Representatives: the main lawmaking body in Thailand - สภาผู้แทนราษฎร
- intention: a plan in your mind to do something - ความตั้งใจ เจตนา แผนการ
- interests: good results or an advantage for somebody/something - ประโยชน์ส่วนบุคคล
- interim: temporary and intended to be used or accepted until something permanent exists - ชั่วคราว
- invoke: to use a rule or law as a reason or basis for doing something - ประกาศใช้ (กฎหมาย), อ้าง (กฎหมาย)
- kindness: being nice to people - ความเมตตา,ความกรุณา
- law and order: a situation where there is respect for the law and everything is organised and well arranged - การรักษากฎหมายและความสงบเรียบร้อย
- legal: relating to the law or lawyers - เกี่ยวกับกฎหมาย
- maintain (verb): to make something continue at the same level, standard, etc. - ดำเนินต่อเนื่อง, คงเอาไว้
- majority: more than 50 percent of a group - เสียงส่วนใหญ่
- mandate: given the authority to do something; ordered to do something - มอบอำนาจ (ให้ทำบางสิ่ง), ให้อำนาจ, บังคับ
- message: a piece of written or spoken information that you send to someone, especially when you cannot speak to them directly - ข่าวสาร, ข้อความ
- moral support: giving someone encouragement - ให้กำลังใจ
- nation: a country considered as a group of people with the same language, culture and history, who live in a particular area under one government; all the people in a country - ประเทศ, คนในประเทศ
- National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) (noun): The military-installed group ruling Thailand following the 2014 coup d'état - คณะรักษาความสงบแห่งชาติ
- offer (verb): to make something available or to provide the opportunity for something - ให้, เสนอ
- order (noun): something that somebody is told to do by somebody in authority - คำสั่ง
- political (adj): connected with the state, government or public affairs - เกี่ยวกับการเมือง, เกี่ยวกับการปกครอง, เกี่ยวกับการเมือง
- private sector: businesses and industries that are not owned or controlled by the government - ภาคเอกชน
- public sector: government sector; part of the economy controlled by the government - ภาครัฐบาล
- publish: to make something available to the public through books, magazines, the Internet, etc. - เผยแพร่, จัดพิมพ์
- remain: to still be present after the other parts have been removed, used, etc; to continue to exist - ยังเหลืออยู่
- replace: to change from one thing to another - แทน
- reporters (noun): people whose job is to write articles or make broadcasts about events in the news - ผู้สื่อข่าว, นักข่าว
- royal gazette: a royal publication begun in 1858 by King Mongkut (Rama IV) as the official way of announcing news laws, decrees, ministerial proclamations, etc. - ราชกิจจานุเบกษา
- section: any of the parts into which something is divided - ส่วน, ส่วนที่ตัดออก, ส่วนย่อย
- situation: all the circumstances and things that are happening at a particular time and in a particular place - สถานการณ์
- suitability: being right or appropriate for a particular purpose or occasion - ความคู่ควร,ความเหมาะสม,ความสมควร
- support: to give help, encouragement or sympathy to somebody - สนับสนุน, เป็นกำลังใจ
- term: a period of time a politician, government or other official holds their job - ช่วงเวลาการดำรงตำแหน่งหรืออำนาจ
- the public: people in general - ประชาชน, สาธารณชน, มหาชน
- throughout (adv): during the whole period of time of something - โดยตลอด
- university (noun): a school where students study for BA, MA, MS and PhD degrees and where research is done - มหาวิทยาลัย