Entertainment ban to be lifted on Nov 14 (Updated)
Tourists return to Wat Phra Kaeo
Tourists were once again allowed into Wat Phra Kaeo yesterday and the government announced that entertainment activities and normal TV programming can resume from Nov 14 with some restrictions.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Entertainment activities can resume Nov 14
Entertainment activities and normal TV programming can resume from Nov 14, following a month of national mourning for His Majesty the late King, the government declared Tuesday.
However, speaking after the weekly cabinet meeting, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the government expected cooperation from TV hosts and operators of entertainment venues to avoid activities that could be interpreted as "uproarious or wild".
More polite language should be used on TV entertainment shows that will resume on Nov 14, Gen Prayut said, stressing that this was a request for cooperation, not an order.
For documenting how Thais people – at home and abroad – mourn the death of His Majesty, Gen Prayut said he had ordered a government team to compile photos capturing daily mourning scenes into a photo book.
Assistant Bangkok governor spokeswoman Thaksada Sangkhachan said flags will no longer be flown at half mast from Nov 14.
On Tuesday afternoon, the Royal Household Bureau began allowing tourists and visitors to visit Wat Phra Si Rattana Satsadaram, better known as Wat Phra Kaeo, again.
Foreign tourists stream through the Wiset Chaisi Gate to visit Wat Phra Kaeo which had been closed to tourists since His Majesty's passing on October 13. KRIT PROMSAKHA NA SAKON NAKHON
One of Bangkok's best-known tourist attractions, Wat Phra Kaeo was closed to tourists following the passing of His Majesty.
A large number of tourists, although not as many as usual, visited the temple Tuesday. Many dressed in dark-coloured clothing.
Visitors are now allowed to go sightseeing at the temple from 8.30am until 3pm through the Wiset Chai Si gate of the Grand Palace.
Cabinet mulls end of entertainment ban
The cabinet will consider on Tuesday whether to allow entertainment activities and TV soap operas to resume on Nov 14, when the 30 day suspension of such activities ends.
Government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the government's situation monitoring command centre discussed the issue Monday and wants the situation to return to normal as soon as possible.
On Oct 18 the government asked business and entertainment operators as well as television stations to suspend entertainment activities and programmes for 30 days.
As a result, the centre will propose Tuesday that the cabinet allow such activities to resume. Local authorities will be encouraged to contact the centre regarding any doubts about which activities will be allowed to resume.
Meanwhile, the centre approved in principle to allow online queue bookings for mourners who want to enter the Grand Palace to pay respects before the body of His Majesty.
The Ministry of Digital Economy and Society and the Ministry of Science and Technology have been assigned to design the online booking system, said Pongsawat Phanjit, 1st Army deputy commander.
Work is needed to establish quotas for walk-in visitors and those with online bookings, said Maj Gen Pongsawat, who is also the deputy director of the joint Peace and Order Administration Centre (POAC).
The Interior Ministry's Damrong Tham Centre in each province will assist mourners who want to make online bookings.
However, Lt Gen Sansern said the proposal needs careful consideration, adding if it proves impractical it will be discarded.
Learn from listening
- abroad: in or to a foreign country - ในต่างประเทศ
- approve: to give official permission - อนุมัต
- assign: to give someone a job to do - มอบหมาย, สั่งงาน
- assist: to help - ช่วย
- attraction: something that creates interest and brings people to see it - การดึงดูดความสนใจ
- authorities: people who have the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- avoid: to try to prevent something from happening - หลีกเลี่ยง
- ban: officially not allowed to do something - การห้ามอย่างเป็นทางการ
- booking (noun): buying a ticket in advance; to arrange to have or use something on a particular date in the future - การจองล่วงหน้า,การจอง
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- command (noun): a part of an army, air force, etc. that is organised and controlled separately; a group of officers who give orders - กองบัญชาการ
- commander: the head of an army or army unit - ผู้บังคับบัญชา
- compile: to collect information from different places and arrange it in a book, report or list - รวบรวม
- consider: to give careful thought to something before making a decision - พิจารณา
- consideration: giving careful thought to something before making a decision - การคิดพิจารณา
- cooperation: working together to achieve a result that will benefit all sides - ความร่วมมือ, การทำงานร่วมกัน
- deputy: a person whose rank is immediately below that of the leader of an organisation - รอง
- discard: to get rid of something that you no longer want or need - ละทิ้ง, ทอดทิ้ง, ทิ้งไป
- document: to record the details of something - บันทึกข้อมูล
- doubts (noun): feelings of being uncertain about something/someone or not believing something - ความสงสัย
- encourage: to make someone more likely to do something, or to make something more likely to happen - ปลุกใจ
- establish (verb): to start something, e.g. a company, organisation, fund, project, etc. that will likely continue for a long time - สถาปนา, ก่อตั้ง, จัดตั้ง
- Grand Palace (noun): the official residence of the Kings of Siam (and later Thailand) where important ceremonies are held - พระบรมมหาราชวัง
- half mast: (of a flag) half way up a flag pole -
- host: a person who introduces guests and performers, especially on television or radio - พิธีกร, ผู้จัดรายการ
- impractical: of something that cannot be done or used easily or effectively - ซึ่งไม่มีประสิทธิภาพเมื่อนำมาใช้งานจริง,ที่ใช้งานไม่ได้
- in principle: in general terms without knowing the details or whether something is really possible - โดยหลัก
- Interior Ministry: the Thai ministry with responsibility over the Royal Thai Police, local administrations, internal security, citizenship, disaster management, land management, issuing national identity cards and public works - กระทรวงมหาดไทย
- interpreted: understood in a particular way — - ตีความ, แปลความหมาย
- issue: a problem that needs to be considered - ประเด็น
- joint: done together; belonging to or shared between two or more people - ที่ร่วมกัน, ความร่วมมือกัน
- local: in or related to the area that you live, or to the particular area that you are talking about - ท้องถิ่น
- meanwhile: at the same time - ในเวลาเดียวกัน
- ministry: a government department that has a particular area of responsibility - กระทรวง
- monitoring: regularly checking something - การจับตาดู, การตรวจตรา, การเฝ้าระมัดระวัง
- mourners (noun): people who are at a funeral or other event in honour of someone who has died, especially relatives or close friends of the dead person - ผู้ไว้ทุกข์,ผู้ไว้อาลัย,ผู้โศกเศร้า
- mourn : to feel extremely sad because someone has died and to express this in public -
- mull: to think carefully about something over a period of time - ครุ่นคิด
- normal (adj.): typical, usual or ordinary; what you would expect - ปกติ, ภาวะปกติ
- operators (noun): people or companies that run a business - ผู้ดำเนินกิจการทางธุรกิจ, ผู้ประกอบธุรกิจ
- order: a situation in which everything is well organized or arranged - ความเป็นระเบียบเรียบร้อย
- order (noun): something that somebody is told to do by somebody in authority - คำสั่ง
- passing: death die เสียชีวิต -
- pay respect to: to show deep admiration for someone/something - แสดงความเคารพ
- polite (adj): having or showing good manners and respect for the feelings of others - สุภาพ, เรียบร้อย, มีกิริยาเรียบร้อย
- proposal: a plan or suggestion for a group to consider - ข้อเสนอ
- propose: to suggest an idea for a group to consider - เสนอ
- queue: a line of people waiting for something - คิว
- quota: an amount of something that someone is officially allowed to have or do - โควตา
- request: an act of asking for something in a formal or polite way - การขอร้อง
- resume: to begin again after stopping for a period of time - ดำเนินต่อไปใหม่, กลับมาอีกครั้ง
- Royal Household Bureau: an agency of the Monarchy of Thailand, responsible for the upkeep of the royal palaces, royal ceremonies, public relations and the management of the royal finances - สำนักพระราชวัง
- sightseeing (noun): going around a place to see the interesting things there; on a tour, go on excursion - การเยี่ยมชม,การท่องเที่ยวดูสิ่งของหรือทิวทัศน์
- situation: all the circumstances and things that are happening at a particular time and in a particular place - สถานการณ์
- soap opera: a story about the lives and problems of a group of people which is broadcast every day or several times a week on television or radio - เรื่องน้ำเน่า
- spokesman: a person who speaks on behalf of a group or an organization - โฆษก
- stress: to emphasise something such as an idea, fact or detail; to explain why something is important - เน้น
- suspend: to stop for a period of time - ยกเลิกชั่วคราว, ระงับชั่วคราว
- suspension: stopping for a period of time - การยกเลิกชั่วคราว, การระงับชั่วคราว
- uproarious (adj): extremely noisy and loud, causing loud laughter - ที่มีเสียงดังเอะอะ
- venue: the place where an activity or event happens - สถานที่
- wild: very exciting, good or enjoyable - ซึ่งกระตือรือร้น