Sunrise, sunset: The future of jobs
Medical and beauty clinics will be the most successful businesses next year, while bleaching and dyeing will be the most vulnerable to closure, according to a research by the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Medical and beauty clinics will be the most successful businesses next year, while bleaching and dyeing will be the most vulnerable to closure, according to research by the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce.
UTCC vice president Thanavath Phonvichai said on Thursday that medical services and beauty care would remain as champion businesses for the sixth year in a row next year and continue to be stand-out operations for the following three to five years.
"The tide of health and beauty care is high continuously. Medical services are about quality and are not expensive. In addition, Thailand is becoming an ageing society," he said.
UTCC found that other "sunrise" businesses in the near future would be cosmetics and skincare; e-commerce; tourism, information and communication technology; construction; logistics; financial services; modern trade; insurance and event organisation; electronic repairs and supply; and education and legal counselling.
E-commerce served consumers' desire for quick and convenient services and the business was enjoying more support from the government, Mr Thanavath said.
Construction and building materials also had bright prospects because the government was investing in infrastructure and the economy was picking up, he said.
For sunset industries, in descending order, Mr Thanavath mentioned bleaching and dyeing; handicrafts; print media; books and video rental; basic textiles and fabrics; poster production; lumber mills; shoemaking and repair; furniture; and agricultural machine distribution.
"Sunset industries face declining demand and disruptive technologies. They have lower revenue but their costs either remain the same or are increasing. The businesses will either slow or shut down," Mr Thanavath said.
Big trends in Thailand next year would be the obvious steps of the digital era and the ageing society, and urbanisation, he said.
Learn from listening
- ageing: growing old - สูงวัยขึ้น
- agricultural (adj): of the science or practice of farming - ที่เกี่ยวกับเกษตรกรรม
- bleaching (noun): causing to become white or pale by a chemical process or by the effect of light from the sun; making something white or pale in this way - การฟอก, การฟอกสี, การฟอกขาว
- closure (noun): the shutting down of a school, factory or other business or service - การปิด
- construction: the work of building or making something, especially buildings, bridges, etc. - การก่อสร้าง
- consumer: someone who buys and uses goods and services - ผู้บริโภค
- continuously: happening or existing for a period of time without interruption - ซึ่งติดต่อกัน, ซึ่งต่อเนื่องกัน
- convenient: easy to do, or not causing problems or difficulties - สะดวก
- cosmetics: substances that you put on your face or body which are intended to improve its appearance - เครื่องสำอาง
- counselling (noun): listening to and giving support or professional advice to somebody who needs help - การให้คำปรึกษา, การให้คำแนะนำ
- declining (adj): becoming less or worse - กำลังลดลง
- demand: the amount of a product or service that people want - ความต้องการ
- descend: to go down - ลงมา
- desire: a strong wish to have or do something - ความอยาก, ความประสงค์, ความต้องการ
- disruptive: causing difficulties that interrupt something or prevent it from functioning normally - ที่แตกแยก
- distribution: the process of giving something out to many different places - การแจกจ่าย
- dye: to change the colour of something using a special liquid - ย้อมสี
- era: a period of time that has a particular quality or character - ยุค, สมัย
- fabric: cloth, especially when it is used for making things such as clothes or curtains - ผ้าหรือสิ่งทอ
- financial: involving money - เกี่ยวกับเงิน, ทางการเงิน
- future: what will happen to somebody/something at a later time - อนาคต
- handicrafts: crafts, the process of making by hand items from wood or metal of beauty and value using old traditional methods - ศิลปหัตถกรรม
- in a row (idiom): straight; consecutive; happening one after the other, without interruption - ต่อเนื่อง
- infrastructure: a set of systems within a place or organisation that affect how well it operates, e.g., the telephone and transport systems in a country or the system of train tracks that a railway uses - สาธารณูปโภค
- insurance: an arrangement in which you regularly pay an insurance company an amount of money so that they will give you money if something you own is damaged, lost, or stolen, or if you die or are ill or injured - การประกัน
- invest: to spend money on something in order to make it better or more successful - ลงทุน
- legal: relating to the law or lawyers - เกี่ยวกับกฎหมาย
- logistics: the practical arrangements that are necessary in order to organise something successfully, especially something involving a lot of people or equipment - การส่งกำลังบำรุง
- lumber (noun): wood that is prepared for use in building, etc. - ไม้ที่เลื่อยออกเป็นท่อนๆ (เพื่อนำมาใช้ประโยชน์)
- materials (noun): substances that things can be made from - วัตถุ
- medical: connected with illness and injury and their treatment - ทางการแพทย์, ด้านการแพทย์, เกี่ยวกับการแพทย์
- mention: to refer to someone or something in speech or writing - กล่าวถึ, เอ่ยถึง, พูดถึง
- mill (noun): a building fitted with machinery for crushing, cutting or grinding something - โรงสี, โรงเลื่อย
- obvious: clear; easy to see, recognise or understand - ชัดเจน
- operations: the activity or work done in an area of business or industry - ปฎิบัติการ
- poster (noun): a large notice, often with a picture on it, that is put in a public place to advertise something - ป้าย, โปสเตอร์
- print media: forms of media that are printed on paper such as newspapers or magazines -
- prospects: the possibility that things will happen, especially something good - ความเป็นไปได้
- quality: the standard of something when it is compared to other things like it; how good or bad something is - คุณภาพ
- rental: the act of renting something or an arrangement to rent something - การเช่า
- repairs: fixing something that is broken or damaged - การซ่อมบำรุง
- research: a careful study of a subject, especially in order to discover new facts or information about it - การวิจัย
- revenue: income from taxes or business activities - รายได้
- stand-out: to be much better or more important than somebody/something - ที่ดีเยี่ยม
- sunrise business (noun): a type of business that is young and growing quickly -
- sunset industry (noun): old types of business which are no longer competitive and likely to close -
- textile: involved in making woven or knitted cloth - สิ่งทอ, ผ้า
- tide (noun): the direction in which the opinion of a large number of people seems to be moving - กระแส
- trade: the buying and selling of goods and services - การค้าขาย
- trend: a gradual change or development that produces a particular result - ทิศทาง แนวโน้ม
- vulnerable: easily damaged or harmed - ซึ่งถูกทำลายได้ง่าย