Schoolboys are beautiful
A northeastern school is giving "third gender" schoolboys a new and popular way to express themselves in front of their classmates: a beauty contest
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Schoolboys' beauty pageant proves a success
The management of a northeastern school with enough understanding to allow their more girlish schoolboys to organise a beauty pageant have been well justified, with a video of the event becoming a social media hit.
By Wednesday the clip had received some 1.8 million views, 21 hours after being posted on Facebook by user Peerasak Thaksawirekhaphant.
It shows the cheerful activity organised by the students at Chaiyaphumphukdeechumphon Scool in Chaiyaphum province and also delivers joyous comments from their peers.
Video by Facebook user Peerasak Thaksawirekhaphant (พีรศักดิ์ ทักษะวิเรขะพันธ์)
Daily News Online quoted Prasanphan Pholthayan, a Thai-language teacher and administrator at the secondary school, as saying the "Miss Beauty Queen 2016" pageant was among students' activities at the 117th anniversary of the school. It was actually the second year the pageant had been held there.
The school management had agreed with the students who proposed the pageant that schoolboys with a "third gender" orientation should have room for expression. The teachers felt that students should have opportunities to show off their capabilities appropriately, she said.
The pageants were approved on the condition that contestants must behave well and dress properly, the teacher said.
Since the pageants began the earlier negative attitudes of other students towards the participants had ended, Mrs Prasanphan was quoted as saying.
- administrator (noun): someone whose job is to manage a business, organisation, institution or website - ผู้บริหาร
- anniversary: a date when you celebrate something that happened in a previous year that is important to you - วันครบรอบ
- appropriately (adv): in a suitable way or right for a particular situation or purpose - อย่างเหมาะสม
- approved: given official agreement or permission - ได้รับการรับรองแล้ว
- attitude: someone’s opinions or feelings about something, especially as shown by their behaviour - ทัศนคติ, ลักษณะท่าทาง
- beauty pageant: a competition to choose the most beautiful from a group of women - ประกวดนางงาม
- behave (verb): to do things in a way that people think is correct or polite - ประพฤติดี
- capability: the ability to do something - ความสามารถ
- cheerful: happy and positive - สดชื่น, ร่าเริง
- condition: something that must be done before another thing can happen - เงื่อนไข
- contestant: someone who competes in a contest - ผู้แข่งขัน
- expression: things that people say, write or do in order to show their feelings, opinions and ideas - การแสดงความคิด, การแสดงออก
- gender: the fact of being either male or female - เพศ
- girlish (adj): เกี่ยวกับหรือมีลักษณะของเด็กผู้หญิง - like a girl; of a girl
- hit: a successful product -
- joyous: very happy - สนุกสนาน, เบิกบาน, มีความสุข
- justified: showing that there is good reason for something - มีเหตุผลที่ดีพอ
- management: the people who run and control a business or similar organisation - คณะผู้บริหาร
- negative: bad - ที่เป็นด้านลบ
- opportunity (noun): a chance to do something, or a situation in which it is easy for you to do something - โอกาส
- orientation (noun): sexual orientation: whether a person is attracted to men, women or both -
- participant: someone who takes part in something - ผู้เข้าร่วม
- peers: people who are the same age or have the same social position or the same abilities as other people in a group - เพื่อน
- properly: in a way that is correct and/or appropriate - อย่างเหมาะสม, อย่างถูกต้อง
- propose: to suggest an idea for a group to consider - เสนอ
- prove to be: to be shown to be - ปรากฏว่า, แสดงว่า
- secondary school: a school for young people, usually between the ages of 11 and 16 or 18 - ชั้นมัธยมศึกษา
- show off (verb): to show people somebody/something that you are proud of - อวด
- success (noun): achieving the goals you wanted to achieve or made a lot of money - มีผลสำเร็จ, ประสบผลสำเร็จ, ประสบชัยชนะ