Southern floods: Round 2?
Nation donates B329m in relief for victims
People in southern provinces and local authorities are bracing for a new round of floods after more heavy rain was forecast in the region this week.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
South girds for new chaos
Actually, this weather projection for tonight and tomorrow looks a bit better than the ones of a few days ago. There is not as much extreme heavy rain in this forecast. Meanwhile, rain as already started to fall in many southern provinces. As of this morning, Surat Thani had received 30mm and Nakhon Si Thammarat 20mm. Source: Thaiwater.net
Government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Sunday that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered provincial governors and local administrative agencies to beef up precautionary measures against flooding as heavy rainfall is expected in the South, according to the Thai Meteorological Department.
The rain is expected to start from Monday and last until Wednesday.
"The prime minister ordered all southern provincial governors to warn people of possible flooding and devise measures to tackle floods this week," he said.
Lt Gen Sansern advised villagers to move their belongings to higher ground and exercise extreme caution when travelling.
Small craft should stay ashore due to gusty winds and strong waves.
Villagers were also advised to closely follow weather forecast updates and announcements from the government.
Those who need assistance can contact both local and central state agencies or call the government's hotline at 1111 and the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) call centre on 1784, around the clock.
Lt Gen Sansern said flooding in several southern provinces had abated.
However, flood water in some provinces, particularly Surat Thani and Nakhon Si Thammarat, remained at high levels.
More than 70 water pumps and 50 water jet propulsion machines have been installed in both provinces and other flood-hit areas to discharge water to the sea as quickly as possible.
Besides the measures to tackle flooding this week, Lt Gen Sansern said Gen Prayut also directed the Interior Ministry to gather information on city planning papers in the southern provinces to draft a drainage plan as a long-term solution to flooding.
Meanwhile, DDPM director-general Chatchai Promlert wrote Sunday to chiefs of the DDPM offices in the South, warning them of possible flooding, flash floods and landslides caused by heavy rain in five provinces.
They are Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, and Songkhla.
Mr Chatchai also ordered both offices to put equipment, machines and vehicles necessary for rescue missions on standby around the clock, adding the preparations must be reported to the department.
According to the DDPM, floods in the South this month have claimed 41 lives.
Officials have recaptured the giant crocodile Nadia who had earlier escaped from the local zoo in Nakhon Si Thammarat during the first round of flooding. Now there are worries that some of the 4000 crododiles on private farms may escape if the new round of flooding is serious.
In Surat Thani, deputy provincial governor Witchawut Jinto instructed the Provincial Fisheries Office to inspect 42 crocodile farms in its seven districts.
The inspection aimed to prevent more than 4,000 crocodiles from escaping from farms if they are flooded.
The government held a televised charity programme last night to mobilise donations from people nationwide to help flood-affected victims in the South.
Gen Prayut joined celebrities to receive telephone calls from donors.
At least 329 million baht had been donated at press time.
Learn from listening
- abate: to become less strong - เบาบาง, ทำให้สิ้นสุด
- administrative (adj): involving the planning, organising and running of a business, an institution, etc - เกี่ยวกับการบริหาร
- advise: to tell somebody what you think they should do in a particular situation - แนะนำ, แจ้ง
- agency (noun): a government department that provides a particular service - หน่วยงานราชการ
- aim: to have as your purpose or goal - มีเป้าหมาย มีจุดมุ่งหมาย
- around the clock: throughout the whole day and night; 24 hours - ทั้งวันทั้งคืน
- ashore: on land; towards, onto or on land, having come from an area of water such as the sea or a river - บนบก, เทียบฝั่ง, เกยฝั่ง
- assistance: help; aid - ความช่วยเหลือ
- beef up: to strengthen - เสริมกำลัง
- belongings: the things you own - ข้าวของเครื่องใช้
- brace for (verb): to get ready for something, usually something unpleasant or difficult to deal with - เตรียมรับมือ
- caution: careful thought and lack of hurry in order to try to avoid risks or danger - ความระมัดระวัง
- celebrity: someone who is famous, especially in the entertainment business - คนมีชื่อเสียง
- chaos: a situation in which everything is confused and in a mess - การจราจล
- charity: involving giving money or help to people who are poor or ill, or who need advice and support - การกุศล
- chief: a person with a high rank or the highest rank in a company or an organisation - หัวหน้า, ผู้นำ
- claim lives (verb): to kill people - ทำให้ตาย
- craft: a boat, ship or space vehicle - เรือ,ยาน
- Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation: a department within the Ministry of the Interior in charge of making preparations for disasters, warning citizens of dangers and organising relief efforts when a disaster occurs - กรมป้องกันและบรรเทาสาธารณภัย
- deputy: a person whose rank is immediately below that of the leader of an organisation - รอง
- devise: to invent a method of doing something - คิดขึ้นใหม่
- discharge: to let a liquid flow out - ปล่อยออก, ขับออก
- donate: to give something such as money or goods to an organisation, especially to a temple, charity, school, political party, etc. - บริจาค
- donation: money or goods that you give to an organisation, especially one that helps people - เงินหรือสิ่งของบริจาค
- donor (noun): a person who gives money or goods to an organisation, especially one that helps people - ผู้บริจาค
- draft: to write a document, plan, etc. that may be changed before it is finally accepted - ร่าง
- drainage: the process of taking away of water or other liquids from an area - การระบายน้ำ
- due to: because of - เนื่องจาก
- exercise: to use - ใช้
- extreme: very great in degree - ที่สุด
- fishery: an area of water where fish are caught so they can be sold - พื้นที่ในการจับปลา
- flash flood: a flood that happens suddenly without warning - น้ำที่เกิดท่วมในที่ต่ำโดยฉับพลันทันทีและไหลลดลงอย่างรวดเร็ว
- forecast (verb): to say what you think will happen in the future based on information that you have now - ทำนาย, ทาย, พยากรณ์
- gather: to search for and find things that you need or want - รวบรวม
- gird: to prepare for a difficult activity - เตรียมพร้อม
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- gusty: with sudden, strong winds - มีลมแรง,มีลมจัด
- hotline: a telephone number that people can call for information - โทรศัพท์สายตรงที่จัดไว้สำหรับเหตุเร่งด่วนหรือเฉพาะเรื่อง
- inspect: to look at something carefully - ตรวจสอบ, ตรวจสอบอย่างละเอียด
- inspection: an official process of checking that things are in the correct condition or that people are doing what they should - การตรวจสอบตรวจตรา
- install: to put a piece of equipment somewhere and make it ready for use - ติดตั้ง
- instruct (verb): to tell somebody to do something, especially in a formal or official way - สั่ง
- Interior Ministry: the Thai ministry with responsibility over the Royal Thai Police, local administrations, internal security, citizenship, disaster management, land management, issuing national identity cards and public works - กระทรวงมหาดไทย
- landslide: a mass of rock and earth moving suddenly and quickly down a steep slope - แผ่นดินถล่ม
- level: the amount of liquid that there is in a container, river, dam, etc., which can be seen by how high the liquid is - ระดับ
- local: in or related to the area that you live, or to the particular area that you are talking about - ท้องถิ่น
- long-term: that will last or have an effect over a long period of time - ระยะยาว
- meanwhile: at the same time - ในเวลาเดียวกัน
- measures: actions that are intended to achieve or deal with something - มาตราการ
- Meteorological Department: the government department in charge of determining what the weather will be in the future - กรมอุตุนิยมวิทยา
- mission: an important job, especially a military one, that someone is sent somewhere to do - ภาระกิจ, หน้าที่, งาน
- mobilise: to bring together for a particular purpose - ระดมพล
- nationwide: throughout a whole country - ทั่วทั้งประเทศ
- on standby: ready for use - เตรียมพร้อม, สำรอง
- precautionary measure: an action taking to prevent something bad from happening - มาตราการป้องกันล่วงหน้า
- preparation: things that you do to get ready for something or make something ready - การตระเตรียม
- prevent (verb): to stop somebody from doing something; to stop something from happening - ขัดขวาง, ป้องกัน, กัน, กีดขวาง
- private: owned by a particular person or group - ของส่วนบุคคล, ของเอกชน
- projection: a calculation or guess about the future based on information that you have - การคาดคะเน
- propulsion: the force that moves or pushes something forward - แรงขับเคลื่อน
- provincial (adj): related to "provinces" , the different parts of a country - ประจำจังหวัด, ส่วนท้องถิ่น
- region: a large area of land or space, usually without exact limits or borders - ภูมิภาค, ขอบเขต, แถบ, บริเวณ
- rescue: saving a person or animal from a dangerous or unpleasant situation - การช่วยชีวิต
- solution: a way of solving a problem or dealing with a difficult situation - วิธีแก้ปัญหา
- spokesman: a person who speaks on behalf of a group or an organization - โฆษก
- state: government - รัฐบาล
- tackle: to make an organised and determined attempt to deal with a problem - จัดการกับปัญหา
- update: the most recent information or news about something - ข้อมูลใหม่ๆ
- victims : people who are killed injured or harmed in some way from an accident, natural disaster, crime, etc. - เหยื่อผู้เคราะห์ร้าย
- warn: to make someone aware of a possible problem or danger - เตือน
- wave: a raised line of water that moves across the surface of the sea, ocean, etc - คลื่น
- zoo (noun): a place where many kinds of wild animals are kept for the public to see and where they are studied, bred and protected - สวนสัตว์