Avoiding Valentine's 'danger'
Campaigns were launched yesterday to raise awareness of the importance of protecting against sexually transmitted diseases including HIV, and unwanted pregnancies.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Campaigns highlight 'danger' of Valentine's Day
Penchan Charoensuthipan & Post Reporters
As couples prepared to show their love on what's supposed to be the most amorous day of the year, City Hall says it will dish out about 7 million condoms to members of the public.
The condoms are targeted in particular for teenagers, to raise awareness of the importance of protecting against sexually transmitted diseases including HIV, and unwanted pregnancies.
Many Thai male teenagers ask their partners for sex on Valentine's Day, youngsters admit.
Speaking during a volunteer campaign Monday ahead of Valentine's Day, a 20-year-old woman, who asked to be named only as Nan, said her ex-boyfriends mostly wanted her to have sex for the first time on the day of romance, insisting it was a way for her to prove her love.
However, Ms Nan, a university student, declined, arguing it was not the right time to have sex as she was still studying.
If she fell pregnant, it would be hard to pursue her studies and her future could be ruined, she said, adding several of her friends had dropped out of school to raise children.
During the campaign, attended by over 100 teenagers, Ms Nan posed as a pregnant woman wearing a fake pregnancy belly to encourage teenagers to use contraception or refrain from having sex.
Pornnuch Sathapolsawat, manager of a project on adolescent pregnancy, said sex is popular among teens.
An effective solution to premature pregnancy was to devise measures to help teenagers gain access to contraception.
"Only a few Thai teenagers have easy access to information on birth control. This can result in premature pregnancy which can set back their future," she said.
According to the Health Department, 4.3% of teens aged between 15 and 19 gave birth in 2015, down from 4.7% in 2014.
However, the fall in delivery rates did not mean a reduction in teenage pregnancies, just that abortion was common, she said.
Besides contraception, Ms Pornnuch said the Prevention and Solution of the Adolescent Pregnancy Act, can also help prevent pregnancy among teenagers.
Teens can also seek help via a hotline, 1663, or visit lovecarestation.com.
Meanwhile, Bangkok deputy governor Taweesak Lertprapan announced the free condom distribution plan, adding that condoms will be distributed to people through various channels from Tuesday to mark Valentine's Day.
Those interested in picking up free condoms from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) are encouraged to go to the BMA's 68 health service centres across the capital, said Mr Taweesak.
Condoms will also be made available at 438 schools and 9 hospitals under the BMA's jurisdiction, he said, adding that free tests for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases will also being provided.
"It's estimated that in 2017 there will be more than 77,000 HIV-infected people [in Thailand], but only about 50,000 of them will be aware of their infections. This means about 22,000 won't realise they have the virus and will possibly infect others," he said.
Learn from listening
- abortion: a medical operation in which a developing baby is removed from a woman’s body so that it is not born alive - การทำแท้ง
- access: having the opportunity to have or use something - มีโอกาสในการใช้
- Act: a law passed by a country’s government - พ.ร.บ. พระราชบัญญัติ
- admit: to agree that something is true, especially when you are unhappy, sorry or surprised about it - ยอมรับ
- adolescent: a boy or girl who is changing into a young man or woman -
- amorous (adj): showing sexual desire and love towards somebody - ที่เต็มไปด้วยความรัก, รักใคร่
- announce: to tell people something officially, especially about a decision, plans, etc - ประกาศ, แจ้ง, แจ้งให้ทราบ
- argue: to give reasons why you think that something is right/wrong, true/not true, etc, especially to persuade people that you are right - ห้เหตุผล, อ้างเหตุผล
- available: that you can get, use, find or buy - มีอยู่, หาได้
- aware (adj): knowing that something exists, or to have knowledge or experience of a particular thing - ทราบ, รับรู้
- awareness: knowing that something exists, or having knowledge or experience of a particular thing - การรับรู้, การทราบ, ความตระหนัก
- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA): the local government of Bangkok - กรุงเทพมหานคร
- belly (noun): the area on the skin on the outside of the body near the stomach -
- birth control (noun): the practice of controlling the number of children a person has, using various methods of contraception (preventing a mother from becoming pregnant, i.e., having a child developing in her body) - การคุมกำเนิด
- campaign: a series of actions intended to produce political or social change - การรณรงค์
- capital: the most important town or city of a country, usually where the central government operates from - เมืองหลวง
- channel: a way of communicating with people or getting something done - ช่องทาง
- City Hall: a city government, in this case, the Bangkok city government - กรุงเทพมหานคร
- common: ordinary; not unusual or special - ที่เกิดขึ้นทุกวัน, ธรรมดา
- condom (noun): a thin rubber covering that a man wears over his penis during sex to stop a woman from becoming pregnant or to protect against disease - ถุงยาง
- contraception (noun): the practice of preventing a woman from becoming pregnant; the methods of doing this - การคุมกำเนิด
- decline: to say politely that you will not accept something or do something - ปฏิเสธ
- delivery: a birth - การคลอดลูก
- deputy: a person whose rank is immediately below that of the leader of an organisation - รอง
- devise: to invent a method of doing something - คิดขึ้นใหม่
- dish out (verb): to give out (esp. in large amounts), to give out strong criticism or punishment - แจกจ่าย
- distribute: to give something out to many different places - แจกจ่าย
- distribution: the process of giving something out to many different places - การแจกจ่าย
- effective: producing the result that was intended - ได้ผลดี
- encourage: to cause someone to want to do something - กระตุ้น ให้การสนับสนุน
- estimated: thought to be a particular amount, size, etc. based on a guess or the best information available - ประมาณการ
- future: what will happen to somebody/something at a later time - อนาคต
- gain access: to get the opportunity or right to have or use something - ได้โอกาสในการใช้
- gave birth: produced a baby or young animal - คลอดลูก
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- highlight: to make something more noticeable - เน้น,ทำให้เด่น
- hotline: a telephone number that people can call for information - โทรศัพท์สายตรงที่จัดไว้สำหรับเหตุเร่งด่วนหรือเฉพาะเรื่อง
- in particular: especially or particularly - โดยเฉพาะ, โดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่ง
- infect (verb): to make a disease or an illness spread to a person, an animal or a plant ทำให้ติดเชื้อ - ทำให้ติดเชื้อ
- infected: having been affected by disease or disease carrying substance - ซึ่งติดเชื้อ
- infection: a disease or medical condition that is caused by a bacteria or by a virus or a parasite - การติดเชื้อ
- insisting: saying very firmly that something is true, even when other people will not believe you - ยืนกราน
- jurisdiction: the authority that an official organisation has to make legal decisions about somebody/something - เขตอำนาจตามกฎหมาย
- male: being a man or a boy - ผู้ชาย
- mark (verb): to celebrate or officially remember an event that you consider to be important - เฉลิมฉลอง, ระลึกถึง
- meanwhile: at the same time - ในเวลาเดียวกัน
- measure: an action taken to solve a particular problem - มาตรการ
- members of the public: people, the public; people in general - ผู้คน; มหาชน, ประชาชน
- partner: the person that you are married to or having a relationship with - คู่สมรส, คู่สามีหรือภรรยา
- popular (adj): a situation in which someone or something is liked by many people - เป็นที่นิยม, เป็นที่ชื่นชอบ
- pose: to pretend to be something - วางท่า
- pregnancy: the state of being pregnant, having a baby developing inside - การตั้งท้อง
- premature: happening too soon or before the usual time - ก่อนเวลาอันควร
- prevention: preventing something bad from happening - การป้องกันภ้ย
- project: a planned piece of work that is designed to find information about something, to produce something new, or to improve something - โครงการ
- protect: to make sure that something is not harmed or damaged - ปกป้อง, ป้องกัน
- prove: to use facts, evidence, etc. to show that something is true - พิสูจน์
- provide: to give someone/ something that they want or need - จัดหาให้, จัดเตรียมไว้ให้
- pursue: to try to achieve something - ดำเนินตาม, พยายามเพื่อให้ได้มาซึ่ง
- raise: to increase the amount or level of something - เพิ่ม, ทำให้สูงขึ้น, ส่งเสริม, ยกระดับ
- raise: to take care of children while they are growing up - เลี้ยงดู
- rate: the level or speed at which something happens or changes, or the amount or number of times it happens or changes in a particular period - อัตรา
- realise (verb): to know about - ตระหนัก รู้
- reduction: the process or result of making something smaller or less in amount, size, importance etc - การลดลง
- refrain: to stop yourself from doing something - ระงับ เลิก
- ruined: destroyed; spoiled - แหลกลาญ, ชำรุดทรุดโทรม, ปรักหักพัง
- set back (verb): to delay the progress of something/somebody by a particular time - วางถอยหลัง, หดกลับ
- sexually: connected with a person's sexual desires - เรื่องทางเพศ, ลักษณะทางเพศ
- solution: a way of solving a problem or dealing with a difficult situation - วิธีแก้ปัญหา
- target: to direct something at someone or something - ตั้งเป้าหมาย
- transmitted (verb): sent, spread from one person or animal to another - ส่ง, ถ่าย
- via: through - ผ่าน (ช่องทาง)
- volunteer (noun): someone who is not paid for the work that they do; someone who does something willingly without being required to - อาสาสมัคร
- youngster: a young person or a child - คนหนุ่มคนสาว, เด็ก