Zuckerberg's new Facebook to solve the world's problems
As worldwide disappointment with globalization grows, Zuckerberg envisions Facebook as a global community & 'long term social infrastructure to bring humanity together.'
SOCIAL MEDIA & GLOBALIZATION
Facebook as global community: Zuckerberg's vision
AFP News Agency
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg on Thursday offered a future vision for the Facebook social network as a force in building a global community, as more people become disillusioned with troubled political institutions.
In a wide-ranging post of nearly 6,000 words, Zuckerberg said Facebook can play a role in bringing people together as they face fractious politics and anti - globalization sentiment (read Zuckerberg's posting here).
IDEALISTIC VISION OF THE FUTURE ROLE OF FACEBOOK
The essay -- released without warning and instantly called a "manifesto" by pundits -- offered a detailed, idealistic vision of the role of the world's biggest social network, going well beyond Zuckerberg's frequent comments on "connecting the world."
"In times like these, the most important thing we at Facebook can do is develop the social infrastructure to give people the power to build a global community that works for all of us," he wrote.
A FORCE AGAINST THE RISING ANTI-GLOBALIZATION TREND
The post on his Facebook page, titled "Building Global Community," said the social network with some 1.8 billion members should play a role in improving people's lives.
"Today I want to focus on the most important question of all: are we building the world we all want?" he asked.
"Facebook stands for bringing us closer together and building a global community."
"When we began, this idea was not controversial..."
WORLDWIDE VANTAGE POINT MUCH-NEEDED
Zuckerberg said people around the world face threats that are becoming "increasingly global," like terrorism, natural disasters, disease, refugee crises, and climate change.
All of these "need coordinated responses from a worldwide vantage point."
He added that non-governmental organisations (NGOs) have done little to address these problems on a global scale and said that he has "directed Facebook to invest more and more resources into serving this need."
"My hope is that more of us will commit our energy to building the long term social infrastructure to bring humanity together," Zuckerberg wrote.
"The answers to these questions won't all come from Facebook, but I believe we can play a role."
ZUCKERBERG TAKING INCREASED ROLE IN CIVIC AFFAIRS & PHILANTHROPY
Zuckerberg, who in recent months has been taking a more active role in civic affairs and philanthropy, announced in 2015 that he and his wife Priscilla Chan would donate 99 percent of their Facebook wealth -- an estimated $45 billion -- to philanthropic causes.
Last year, the Chan-Zuckerberg initiative (see here) pledged to donate $3 billion over the next decade to research efforts to help banish or manage all disease.
Learn from listening
- address: to deal with a problem - จัดการปัญหา
- affairs: events and activities relating to the government, politics, economy etc of a country, region, or the world - ความสัมพันธ์ระหว่างประเทศ
- announce: to tell people something officially, especially about a decision, plans, etc - ประกาศ, แจ้ง, แจ้งให้ทราบ
- anti (adjective): against - ตรงกันข้าม, ต้าน
- banish (verb): to make somebody/something go away; to get rid of somebody/something, to order somebody to leave a place, especially a country, as a punishment - ไล่ไป, ทำให้เลิกนึกถึง, เนรเทศ
- civic (adj): relating to the people who live in a town or city or the duties and responsibilities that they have as citizens - เกี่ยวกับพลเมือง
- climate change (noun): the gradual change in the world's weather that has resulted in dangerous storms and flooding - การเปลี่ยนแปลงสภาพทางภูมิอากาศ
- commit: to use available things or people for a particular purpose - มอบหมายให้, ให้รับผิดชอบ
- community: a group of people who share the same job, interests, religion, etc - สังคม
- connection: a relationship between people or groups - ความสัมพันธ์
- controversial: causing disagreement or disapproval - ความไม่ลงรอยกัน
- coordinate: to organise the different parts of a job or plan so that the people involved work together effectively - ประสานงานกัน
- crises (noun): urgent, difficult or dangerous situations - วิกฤตการณ์
- decade: a period of ten years - ทศวรรษ
- disease (noun): a health problem and problem with a person's body, often caused by an infection, either from a bacteria or virus - โรค
- disillusioned: disappointed because you have discovered that someone or something is not as good as you had believed - ความผิดหวังเมื่อรู้ว่าบางสิ่งไม่ได้ดีอย่างที่คิดหรือหวังไว้
- donate: to give something such as money or goods to an organisation, especially to a temple, charity, school, political party, etc. - บริจาค
- effort: an attempt to do something - ความพยายาม
- energy: the physical and mental effort that you use to do something - กำลัง, พละกำลัง
- essay (noun): a short piece of writing by a student as part of a course of study - การแต่งความเรียง
- estimated: thought to be a particular amount, size, etc. based on a guess or the best information available - ประมาณการ
- focus: to give attention, effort, etc. to one particular subject, situation or person rather than another - เพ่งความสนใจ
- force (noun): a person or thing that has a lot of power or influence - คนหรือสิ่งที่มีอำนาจหรืออิทธิพล
- founder (noun): a person who establishes an institution, business, or organisation - ผู้ก่อตั้ง
- fractious: causing problems and difficult to control - มีปัญหา ไม่ราบรื่น
- global: throughout the world - ทั่วโลก
- global: world - เกี่ยวกับโลก
- humanity: people in general - คนทั่วไป, มนุษย์โลก
- infrastructure: a set of systems within a place or organisation that affect how well it operates, e.g., the telephone and transport systems in a country or the system of train tracks that a railway uses - สาธารณูปโภค
- initiative: a new action or movement, often intended to solve a problem - ความคิดริเริ่ม
- instantly: immediately - ทันที, ทันทีทันใด, ในไม่ช้า
- institutions: customs and traditions - ระบบหรือประเพณีนิยม
- institutions: large and important organizations, such as universities or banks - สถาบัน
- invest: to spend money on something in order to make it better or more successful - ลงทุน
- left behind: not taking something when you leave a place -
- manage (verb): to succeed in doing something; to deal with something - สำเร็จ,จัดการได้สำเร็จ, ทำได้สำเร็จ
- manifesto: the aims of a political party and the things they say they will do if they win an election - นโยบายพรรคการเมือง
- member: a person, a country or an organization that has joined a particular group, club or team - สมาชิก
- movement (noun): a group of people who share the same aim and work together to achieve it - การเคลื่อนไหวเพื่อวัตถุประสงค์ทางการเมือง
- natural disaster: an unexpected natural event, such as a very bad storm or flood that kills a lot of people or causes a lot of damage - ความหายนะธรรมชาติทาง, ภัยพิบัติธรรมชาติทาง
- non-governmental organisation (noun): non-governmental organisation, NGO, (a charity, association, etc. that is independent of government and business) - เอ็นจีโอ, องค์การนอกภาครัฐ
- offer (verb): to make something available or to provide the opportunity for something - ให้, เสนอ
- philanthropy: the belief that you should help people, especially by giving money to people who need it - ความมีใจบุญสุนทาน,ความมีใจรักเพื่อนมนุษย์ด้วยกัน,พฤติกรรมในลักษณะทำบุญ,ลักษณะมูลนิธิ,องค์การทำบุญสุนทาน
- pledge: to make a serious promise to do something - สัญญา
- pundit: someone who is an expert in a subject, and is often asked to talk to the public about that subject - ผู้เชี่ยวชาญ
- recent: happening or starting a short time ago - เร็วๆ นี้
- refugee: someone who leaves their country or living place, especially during a war or other threatening event - ผู้ลี้ภัย
- release: the act of making something available to the public - การนำออกแสดง, การออกวางจำหน่าย
- research: a careful study of a subject, especially in order to discover new facts or information about it - การวิจัย
- resources: things such as money, workers and equipment that can be used to help achieve something - ทรัพยากร
- response: a reaction to something that has happened or been said - การตอบสนอง
- role: the position or purpose that someone or something has in a situation, organisation, society or relationship - บทบาท
- scale: the size or extent of something, especially when compared with something else - ขนาด, ระดับ
- sentiment: a thought, opinion or idea based on a feeling about a situation, or a way of thinking about something - กระแส, แนวความคิด, ความคิดเห็น
- social (adjective): related to society, to people and the way they are connected to each other and interact with each other - เกี่ยวกับสังคม
- social network: websites or other services on the internet for communication with people who share your interests - เครือข่ายสังคม
- terrorism: the use of violence to achieve political aims - การใช้ความรุนแรงเพื่อข้อเรียกร้องทางการเมือง
- threat: a danger - อันตราย
- troubled (adjective): experiencing many problems - ยุ่งยาก,เป็นทุกข์,เป็นภาระ,วุ่นวาย,น่ารำคาญ,หนักใจ
- vantage point (noun): the position you are in when looking at something; a position from which you can see things well - ตำแหน่ง, จุดที่มองเห็นได้กว้างขวาง
- vision: the ability to imagine how a country, society, industry, etc. could develop in the future and to plan in a suitable way - วิสัยทัศน์
- warning: an action or statement telling someone of a possible problem or danger - การเตือน
- wide-ranging: covering many subjects -
- withdraw: to no longer being involved in something - ถอนตัว