Bangkok traffic jams among world's worst
Bangkok drivers spent 64 hours in traffic jams last year to become 12th most congested city in world, up from 30th in 2015.
Bangkok traffic jams among world's worst
They wasted a lot of gasoline and fuel in the process.
The absence of two cities Manila and Saigon from the INRIX rankings seems to throw the thoroughness of the ranking into question a little bit. Manila has been cited as having worse traffic than Bangkok.
BANGKOK CONGESTION RANKING SOARED TO MUCH WORSE THAN 2015
The INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard rated Bangkok the 12th most congested of all cities rated, considerably worse than 30th in 2015, with a traffic scorecard rating of 11, down from 20 in 2015.
Bangkok drivers spent an average 64.1 hours a year in traffic jams, according to the scorecard -- 23% of overall time and an average 33% of their time during peak hours.
This was immediately above Caracas and Mexico City, both long known for horrendous traffic, which improved from near the top of the list in the 2015 rankings.
HOW WAS THE RANKING CALCULATED?
US HAS WORST TRAFFIC AMONG DEVELOPED COUNTRIES
Five of the world's 10 most congested cities are in the United States, INRIX found.
LOS ANGELES AT 105 HOURS WORST CITY FOR SLOW RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC
TIME STUCK IN CONGESTION: MOSCOW IS WORSE
NEW YORK, SAN FRANCISCO, ATLANTA & MIAMI ALSO TRAFFIC-CHOKED US CITIES
The worst stretch of road in the United States is New York City's Cross Bronx Expressway, where drivers on the 4.7 mile (7.5 km) road spent an average of 86 hours a year staring at the bumper of the car ahead.
After Los Angeles, INRIX listed New York, San Francisco, Atlanta and Miami as the most traffic- choked US cities.
LA traffic jams were immortalized in the 1993 movie Falling Down starring Michael Douglas.
He is pushed into increasingly violent encounters after leaves his car, stuck in an LA traffic jam, to walk by foot to his ex-wife's home to go to his daughter's birthday party. Here is the beginning of the movie:
Learn from listening
- according to (prep): as stated or reported by somebody/something - ตามคำบอกเล่า, ตามรายงาน
- aggregate: a total number or amount made up of smaller amounts that are collected together - ผลรวม, ผลรวบยอด
- analyze (verb): to examine the nature or structure of something, especially by separating it into its parts, in order to understand or explain it - วิเคราะห์, ศึกษา, ตรวจสอบ
- average: an amount calculated by adding several amounts together, finding a total, and dividing the total by the number of amounts - เฉลี่ย, ค่าเฉลี่ย
- based: where the main work of an organisation, business, etc. is done or controlled - ซึ่งเป็นศูนย์กลาง
- based on (verb): information or facts used to make a story, calculation, judgement or decision - ตั้งอยู่บน,ยึดเป็นหลัก
- bumper: a bar fixed to the front and back of a car, etc. to reduce the effect if it hits anything - เครื่องกันชน
- choke: to fill a place so that it is difficult to move - ทำให้แน่นไปด้วย
- collect (verb): to gather together a group/set/amount of things, often of the same sort - สะสม, เก็บรวบรวม
- congested: too blocked or crowded and causing difficulties - แน่นขนัด
- congestion: a situation in which a place is crowded with people or vehicles - แน่นขนัดไปด้วยรถหรือคน
- considerably: much; a lot - มากมาย
- data: facts or information, especially when examined and used to find out things or to make decisions - ข้อมูล, ตัวเลข, สถิติ
- delay (noun): causing to happen at a later time; happening at a later time than expected - การเลื่อน, ช้ากว่าปกติ
- develop (verb): to gradually grow and improve something so that it becomes more advanced, stronger and successful - พัฒนา
- edition (noun): a single broadcast of a series of radio or television programmes; a single event in a series -
- edition: the books, newspapers or magazines, etc. published at one time - จำนวนพิมพ์ทั้งหมดต่อครั้ง
- highway: a main road for travelling long distances, especially one connecting and going through cities and towns - ทางหลวง, ทางสายใหญ่
- horrendous: extremely shocking; extremely unpleasant and unacceptable - น่ากลัว, น่าสยดสยอง
- immediately (adj): next to or very close to a particular place or time - ชิด
- infrastructure: a set of systems within a place or organisation that affect how well it operates, e.g., the telephone and transport systems in a country or the system of train tracks that a railway uses - สาธารณูปโภค
- known for: famous for -
- measure (noun): a unit used for stating the size, quantity or degree of something; a system or a scale of these units - มาตรการ, วิธีการประเมิน, วิธีตัดสิน
- motorist (noun): a person driving a car or other motor vehicle - คนขับรถยนต์, ผู้ขับรถ
- peak (adj): the time when something is at its highest or greatest level - ช่วงเวลาที่หนาแน่น, ช่วงเวลาที่พบมากที่สุด
- percentage (noun): an amount divided by 100 - อัตราร้อยละ, จำนวนร้อยละ, อัตราต่อหนึ่งร้อย
- rankings (noun): the position of somebody/something on a scale that shows how good or important they are in relation to other similar people or things, especially in sport - อันดับ
- rating: a measurement of how good or popular someone or something is - การประเมิน
- release: the act of making something available to the public - การนำออกแสดง, การออกวางจำหน่าย
- rush hour: a time of the day when large number of people are either going to or coming from work - ช่วงเวลาเร่ิงด่วน (อันที่จริงในภาษาไทยที่ดีไม่มีคำว่า ช่วงเวลาเร่งด่วน คำนี้ควรกล่าวว่า ช่วงเวลาที่มีการสัญจรไปมามากกว่าช่วงเวลาอื่น)
- share: one part of something that is divided between two or more people - ส่วน
- slice: a part or portion of something, e.g. a sum of money; a budget, etc. - ส่วนแบ่ง
- source: a place where information comes from; someone who gives information - แหล่ง
- stretch (noun): a continuous area of land or water - บริเวณที่แผ่ขยายไป, บริเวณวงกว้าง
- stuck: unable to move, or fixed in a particular position or place - ติด
- study: a project that looks at some subject in great detail and produces a report to share the information - งานวิจัย
- thorough: detailed and careful - ละเอียดถี่ถ้วน
- thoroughness: being detailed and careful - ละเอียดถี่ถ้วน
- traffic (noun): the number of cars, trucks and other vehicles traveling along a road at one time - การจราจร
- traffic: the number of cars, trucks and other vehicles traveling along a road at one time; also used for data traveling along a network - การจราจร
- traffic jam: roads that are very crowded with vehicles - รถติด
- vehicle: a machine that you travel in or on, especially one with an engine that travels on roads, e.g., a car, bus, van, truck, etc. - ยานพาหนะ