Matayom 3, Prathon 6 students fail O-NET subjects
Mathayom 3 (Grade 9) students failed all 5 nationwide O-Net subjects while Prathom 6 students fared little better, passing only Thai language, according to the National Institute of Educational Testing Service (Niets).
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Mathayom 3 students fail all five O-Net subjects
The results of the nationwide O-Net tests for students in the 9th grade, or Mathayom 3, for the 2016 academic year which came out on Saturday showed students failed all five subjects on average, according to the National Institute of Educational Testing Service (Niets).
Meanwhile, the results of O-Net tests for students in the 6th grade, or Prathom 6, released on Friday showed students failed four out of the five subjects on average with only the subject of Thai language having an average score of 52.98%.
O-Net stands for Ordinary National Educational Test. It is conducted annually by Niets to measures students' basic knowledge in five key subjects -- mathematics, English, Thai language, social studies and general sciences. All grade 6, 9 and 12 students must take the test to assess their academic proficiency. O-Net scores for grade 12 students are used for university admission.
Education permanent secretary Chaipreuk Sereerak told the Bangkok Post on Saturday that the O-Net results for the 6th and the 9th graders did not fluctuate much over the past few years.
The average scores under 50% did not mean the quality of students had dropped. However, it was undeniable that the gap between schools in Bangkok and the provinces as well as the gap between large and small schools remained a concern.
The curriculum and the test methods will be developed to better reflect students' real competency, he said.
Overall, average scores for over 637,000 Mathayom 3 students tested nationwide this year in all the five subjects were under 50%, with mathematics and English remaining students' least favourite subjects with average scores of 29.31% and 31.8%, respectively, Niets said.
Junior high school students did best in social studies with 49% on average. They earned 46.36% and 34.99% for Thai language and general sciences, respectively, according to the results.
The average scores for Thai language, social studies and English language are higher than last year's, Niets said.
For over 724,000 Prathom 6 students tested nationwide this year, average scores in four out of the five core subjects fell under 50%. Students earned an average of 46.68% in social studies, 41.22% in general science, 40.47% in mathematics and 34.59% in English language.
Only the result for Thai language improved from the previous year, Niets said.
Comparing test score outcomes between schools under the supervision the Office of the Basic Education Commission (Obec) and university demonstration schools, called Satit in Thai, Niets found students in demonstration schools clearly did better than Obec students in every subject for both levels of students, the testing agency said.
Likewise, the test results of both levels of students and in every subject showed students in extra large schools earned the highest average scores, students of the schools in the cities earned higher average scores than those who came from the schools in remote areas.
For 9th graders, the averages scored by Satit students were 59.82% in Thai language, 64.32% in social studies, 57.58% in English, 56.58% in mathematics and 50.11% in general science.
For 6th graders, the averages scored by Satit students were 65.06% in Thai language, 64.02% in social studies, 63.36% in English, 64.02% in mathematics and 53.71% in general science.
Learn from listening
- academic: relating to education - เชิงวิชาการ
- agency (noun): a government department that provides a particular service - หน่วยงานราชการ
- annually: happening every year - ทุกๆปีด
- assess (verb): to carefully consider a situation, person, or problem in order to make a judgment - ประเมิณ, ประเมิณสถานการณ์
- commission: an official group of people who have been given responsibility to control something, or to find out about something, usually for the government - คณะกรรมการ, คณะกรรมาธิการ
- competency: competence; the ability to do something well - ความสามารถ
- concern: a worry - ความกังวล
- conduct: to carry out — - ดำเนิน
- curriculum: the group of subjects studied in a school, college, etc - หลักสูตร
- demonstration school (noun): a school associated with a university and used in teaching training programmes - โรงเรียนสาธิต
- favourite (adj): something/someone you like the best of all similar things - ที่ชอบมากที่สุด, ที่โปรดปราน, ของโปรด
- fluctuate: to change or vary, especially continuously and between one level or thing and another - ผันแปร, ขึ้นๆ ลงๆ
- gap (noun): a difference between people or groups - ช่องว่าง
- improve: to get better - ดีขึ้น
- institute (noun): an organization that has a particular purpose, especially one that is connected with education or a particular profession; the building used by this organisation - สถาบัน,องค์การ,วิทยาลัย,สถาบันหนึ่งของมหาวิทยาลัย
- key: most important - ที่สำคัญ
- level: a position or rank in a scale of size or importance - ระดับ
- likewise: in a similar way; in the same way - ในทำนองเดียวกัน, เช่นเดียวกัน, อย่างเดียวกัน
- meanwhile: at the same time - ในเวลาเดียวกัน
- method: a particular way of doing something - วิธีการ,วิธีดำเนินการ
- nationwide: throughout a whole country - ทั่วทั้งประเทศ
- on average: calculated by adding several amounts together, finding a total, and dividing the total by the number of amounts - โดยเฉลี่ย
- outcome: a result - ผล
- overall (adj): total; including all the things or people that are involved in a particular situation; general - ทั้งหมด, โดยทั่วไป
- permanent secretary: a government official, not a political appointee, in charge of a ministry - ปลัดกระทรวง
- proficiency (noun): the ability to do some task or work correctly and efficiently; skill, knowledge, competence - ความช่ำชอง, ความเจนจัด, ความสามารถ, ประสิทธิภาพ,ความเชี่ยวชาญ, ความคล่องแคล่ว
- province: one of many divisions of the government of a country into smaller parts - จังหวัด
- quality: the standard of something when it is compared to other things like it; how good or bad something is - คุณภาพ
- reflect: to show - สะท้อน แสดงถึง
- release: to allow something to be shown or known to the public or to be available for use - เปิดเผย, ปล่อยข่าว
- remote: far away from other cities, towns, or people - ที่ห่างไกล
- respectively: in the order in which they were mentioned - ตามลำดับ
- stands for (verb): has the meaning.... , is a short way of saying... - แทนค่า
- supervision: the process of making sure that something is being done properly - การควบคุมดูแล การตรวจตรา
- undeniable (adj): true or certain; that cannot be denied - ปฏิเสธไม่ได้