New grads head list of jobless workers
Close to half a million people were unemployed last month, many of them new graduates, up 99,000 or 1.3% in the same period last year, which is spurring the government to offer skills training for jobless workers.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Close to half a million people were unemployed last month, up 99,000 or 1.3% in the same period last year, which is spurring the government to offer skills training for jobless workers.
A total of 496,000 people were jobless last month, a jump of 66,000 from February, according to the National Statistical Office (NSO). The majority of unemployed were men, it said. Of those, 274,000 previously had jobs, mostly in the service and trade sectors. This means the number of people who were previously gainfully employed but found themselves out of work in March was up 49,000 from the year-earlier period, the office said.
It also said 169,000 of the unemployed last month were new university graduates. The situation is also looking bad for them, as the corresponding number last year was 56,000 lower.
Last month there were 222,000 jobless people who have never held jobs before, and new university grads made up a sizeable portion of their ranks.
Meanwhile, Thailand now has around 21 million non-regular or "informal" workers, who are usually underpaid and not granted proper health and welfare benefits, says labour permanent secretary ML Puntrik Smiti. She said these people have gone through life with little financial security and many are unskilled. To brighten their prospects, the Labour Ministry is launching a skills-training programme, one of three policies being pushed to improve their quality of life.
ML Puntrik said many of the informal workers who will be offered the training will be drawn from the 12.5 million low-income people who registered to receive extra state welfare. The ministry estimates up to 9 million of those registered are eligible to apply for the training.
The other policies in the pipeline include labour protection legislation targeting informal workers, which is due to go before the National Legislative Assembly (NLA).
Also, the ministry is setting up an integrated system of extending welfare assistance to informal workers nationwide through a panel represented by the workers and government agencies.
The labour protection draft law is expected to be finalised and passed by the assembly this year. The Department of Labour Protection and Welfare is conducting a public hearing on the draft.
In the short term, ML Puntrik said the ministry has agreed to increase compensation payments for informal workers who lose their jobs or their lives. It will be presented as gifts on May Day, she said.
The permanent secretary was speaking at a seminar last week on a strategic management plan for non-regular workers.
Sujin Rungsawang, a representative of an informal workers' group, said around 2 million informal workers, or less than 10%, are registered recipients of social security welfare under the National Social Security Fund Act.
Too few informal workers subscribe to the programme, which provides them access to living assistance and medical care, she said.
Ms Sujin said many informal workers living in remote areas cannot afford to make the trip to the labour office to pay their monthly contributions to the fund. The Social Security Office should open branches in local communities so more can benefit, she said.
Learn from listening
- access: having the opportunity to have or use something - มีโอกาสในการใช้
- Act: a law passed by a country’s government - พ.ร.บ. พระราชบัญญัติ
- afford: to have enough money to be able to pay for something - มีเงินพอจับจ่าย ซื้อหา
- agency (noun): a government department that provides a particular service - หน่วยงานราชการ
- assembly: a group of people who have been elected or chosen in order to discuss issues and make decisions - สภา, สมัชชา
- assistance: help; aid - ความช่วยเหลือ
- benefit: to give an advantage to someone - มีประโยชน์ต่อ
- benefits: money provided by the government to people who need financial help because they are Have experienced difficulties, are unemployed, ill/sick, etc - เงินสงเคราะห์
- branch: an office or shop representing a large company or organisation in a particular area - สาขา
- brighten (verb): to become or make something become more pleasant or enjoyable; to bring hope - ร่าเริง, สดใส
- community: the people living in one particular area - ชุมชน
- compensation (noun): money that someone receives because something bad has happened to them - การจ่ายเงินชดเชย
- conduct: to do something in an organised way; to carry out — - ลงมือทำ, ดำเนิน, ปฏิบัติ
- contribution: a regular payment that you make when you are working - การลงทุนหรือช่วยเหลือ
- corresponding (adj): matching or connected with something that you have just mentioned - ที่สอดคล้อง
- draft: not in a final form and likely to be changed - ร่าง
- due to: scheduled to - มีกำหนด
- eligible: allowed by rules or laws to do something or to receive something - มีสิทธิชอบธรรมตามกฎหมาย เอื้อด้วยกฎหมาย
- employed (adj): of someone who has a paying job - มีงานทำ
- estimate (verb): to say what you think an amount or value is or will be, either by using available information or by guessing - คาดคะเน, ประมาณการ
- extend: to include something more - ยืดออกไป ขยายออกไป
- finalise: to complete the last part of a plan, trip, project, etc - ทำให้เสร็จสมบูรณ์
- financial: involving money - เกี่ยวกับเงิน, ทางการเงิน
- fund: money provided for something - เงินทุน กองทุน
- gainfully (adv): in a way that earns money for the useful work that you do - ทำงานมีรายได้พอเลี้ยงชีพ
- graduate: a person who has a university degree - ผู้รับปริญญา, ผู้สำเร็จการศึกษา
- grant: to officially give something - ให้
- improve: to make better - ทำให้ดีขึ้น
- in the pipeline (adjective): working on it now, but not finished -
- integrate: to combine things of different types in one effective system - รวมเข้าด้วยกัน
- jobless (adj): not having a job, unemployed - ว่างงาน, ตกงาน,
- Labour Ministry (noun): (Ministry of Labour) a government body responsible for the oversight of labour administration and protection, skill development, the promotion of employment of people in Thailand - กระทรวงแรงงาน
- launch (verb): to start something - เริ่มต้น, เปิดโครงการ, เริ่มทำ
- legislation: a law or set of laws suggested by a government and made official by a parliament - กฎหมาย, การออกกฎหมาย
- legislative: involving the part of government responsible for creating new laws - เกี่ยวข้องกับสภานิติบัญญัติ
- local: in or related to the area that you live, or to the particular area that you are talking about - ท้องถิ่น
- low-income: earning little money - รายได้ต่ำ
- majority: more than half of the people in a group - ส่วนมาก
- management: the act or skill of dealing with people or situations in a successful way - การจัดการ
- meanwhile: at the same time - ในเวลาเดียวกัน
- medical: connected with illness and injury and their treatment - ทางการแพทย์, ด้านการแพทย์, เกี่ยวกับการแพทย์
- nationwide: throughout a whole country - ทั่วทั้งประเทศ
- panel: a group of people who make decisions or judgments - คณะกรรมการ
- permanent secretary: a government official, not a political appointee, in charge of a ministry - ปลัดกระทรวง
- policy (noun): a set of plans or action agreed on by a government, political party, business, or other group - นโยบาย
- portion: a part of something - ส่วน
- proper: right, appropriate or correct; according to the rules - เหมาะสม
- prospects: the possibility that things will happen, especially something good - ความเป็นไปได้
- protection: the act of protecting somebody/something; the state of being protected - การอารักขา, การปกป้อง
- public hearing: an official meeting at which the facts about a situation, etc. are discussed with members of the public taking part - ประชาพิจารณ์
- quality: the standard of something when it is compared to other things like it; how good or bad something is - คุณภาพ
- ranks (noun): all the people within a group, organization etc; a large group of people with something in common -
- recipients: people who receive something - ผู้รับ
- registered (adj): to be on an official list; to be on an official list of names of people who are allowed to do something, e.g., vote, study, sell something, stay in a hotel etc - ซึ่งลงทะเบียนไว้
- regular (adj): normal; following a pattern, especially with the same time and space in between each thing and the next - ปกติ, เป็นประจำ, เสมอๆ
- remote: far away from other cities, towns, or people - ที่ห่างไกล
- represent: to act, speak or be present officially for another person or people - เป็นตัวแทน
- representative: someone who has been chosen or elected by a person or group to vote, give opinions, or make decisions for them - ผู้แทน
- sector: a part of a country’s economic or business activity - ภาค (เศรษฐกิจ)
- security: a feeling of confidence and safety, or a situation in which you can feel confident and safe - ความมั่นคง, เสถียรภาพ
- service (adj): the part of the economy that creates services rather than objects for sale - ธุรกิจบริการ
- short term: lasting a short time; designed only for a short period of time in the future - ระยะสั้น
- situation: all the circumstances and things that are happening at a particular time and in a particular place - สถานการณ์
- sizeable (adj): large in size - มีขนาดใหญ่พอควร
- skills (noun): the ability to do certain things well, usually as a result of experience and training - ฝีมือ, ทักษะ
- social security: money that the government pays regularly to people who are poor, unemployed, sick, etc - สวัสดิการสังคม,ระบบการประกันสังคม
- spur: to cause something to happen - ก่อให้เกิด
- state: government - รัฐบาล
- statistical (adj): related to information shown in numbers - เกี่ยวกับวิชาสถิติ, วิชาสถิติ
- strategic (adj): involving strategy and planning; important for achieving a particular goal, especially in war, business, or politics - ทางยุทธศาสตร์
- subscribe: to pay an amount of money regularly in order to receive or use something - จ่ายค่าเป็นสมาชิก
- target: to direct something at someone or something - ตั้งเป้าหมาย
- trade: the buying and selling of goods and services - การค้าขาย
- trip (noun): a journey to a place - การเดินทาง
- underpaid: not paid enough for the work you do - ไม่ได้รับเงินเพียงพอสำหรับงานที่ทำ
- unemployed: not having a job - ซึ่งว่างงาน
- unskilled: not having enough ability, experience and knowledge to be able to do something well -
- welfare (noun): good care and living conditions - ความสะดวกสบาย, ความมีสุขภาพดี, สวัสดิภาพ
- welfare: help given, especially by the state or an organization, to people who need it; good care and living conditions - สวัสดิการ