Philippine workers: Thailand popular destination
Five times as many skilled Filipinos working in Thailand than any other ASEAN country. New border registration set to reduce illegal workers from neighboring countries.
ASEAN & WORK
Thailand popular destination for skilled workers from Philippines
Thailand is a popular destination for skilled workers and technicians from Asean countries, with the Philippines taking the top spot, according to the Department of Employment (DE).
DE director-general Varanon Peetiwan said the Philippines ranks number one out of nine countries in terms of the number of foreign skilled workers and technicians in Thailand.
PHILLIPINES FIVE TIMES MORE THAN ANY OTHER ASEAN COUNTRY
Mr. Varanon was speaking as he announced the figures for foreign employment in Thailand from Asean.
According to the department, the top five were the Philippines (14,830), Malaysia (2,924), Singapore (2,034), Myanmar (1,948) and Indonesia (1,279).
So, with Philippines (roughly 15,000 workers) compared to next- ranked Malaysia (roughly 3,000) there are roughly five times as many skilled Philippine workers in Thailand than from any other Asean country.
Mr Varanon urged foreigners who wish to work in the country to follow procedures set by the Department of Employment.
MIGRANT WORKER REGISTRATION MADE EASIER AT BORDER CHECKPOINTS
Meanwhile, the National Reform Steering Assembly committee overseeing social issues will propose a plan for cabinet consideration on migrant worker registration at border checkpoints at their meeting next Tuesday.
Under the proposal, registration of migrant workers at border checkpoints should be open all year round.
The measure is aimed at curbing illegal labour and human trafficking.
In the initial stage, the committee suggests opening registration for only three years.
DISCOUNT FOR REGiSTRATION AT BORDER
It also recommends limiting the registration fee to 5,600 baht, which is lower than the normal registration charge, to attract potential workers to use the services, according to the proposal.
Registration at checkpoints will provide convenience for citizens of neighbouring countries who want to work in Thailand at any time.
SIMPLIFIED REGISTRATION TO GET MORE REGISTRATION & LESS ILLEGAL WORKERS
Currently, migrant workers must register at different periods, discouraging certain groups of workers from registering.
The periodic registration procedures forces workers who failed to register to resort to illegal entry.
Some workers are deceived by job brokers who promise them a high pay but end up with being exploited by them.
Thailand has a total of 68 checkpoints, 28 border checkpoints, one temporary checkpoint and 39 temporary trade points.
The committee also plans to submit a proposal on mechanisms protecting the rights of migrant workers for cabinet consideration.
Learn from listening
- according to (prep): as stated or reported by somebody/something - ตามคำบอกเล่า, ตามรายงาน
- aim: to have as your purpose or goal - มีเป้าหมาย มีจุดมุ่งหมาย
- all year round: for the whole year, during the whole year -
- announce: to tell people something officially, especially about a decision, plans, etc - ประกาศ, แจ้ง, แจ้งให้ทราบ
- architecture: a particular style or way of designing buildings - สถาปัตยกรรม, รูปแบบการก่อสร้าง
- attract: to cause someone to be interested in something - ดึงดูดความสนใจ
- border: the official line separating two areas, regions or countries - เขตแดน อาณาเขต
- broker: a person or company who arranges something such as a deal, agreement, a job, etc. - นายหน้า
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- charge (noun): a payment or fee for something - ค่า
- checkpoint: a place where people are stopped and questioned and vehicles are examined, especially at a border between two countries - ด่านตรวจ
- committee: a group of people who are chosen, usually by a larger group, to make decisions or to deal with a particular subject - คณะกรรมการ
- compare (verb): to show or state that somebody/something is similar to somebody/something else - เปรียบเทียบ
- consideration: giving careful thought to something before making a decision - การคิดพิจารณา
- curb: to control or limit something - จำกัดขอบเขต, ควบคุม
- currently: at this time; now - ในปัจจุบัน
- deceive: to persuade someone that something false is the truth - หลอก
- destination: the place where someone or something is going - จุดหมายปลายทาง
- discount: a reduced price or rate - การลดราคา
- discourage: to make someone feel like something should not be done - ทำให้ไม่อยาก (ทำสิ่งใดสิ่งหนึ่ง)
- employment (noun): when a person has work that earns them money - การจ้างงาน, การงาน
- end up (verb): to be in a certain situation or place after doing something - ลงท้าย, ในที่สุด, ลงเอย
- engineering (noun): the activity of applying scientific knowledge to the design, building and control of machines, roads, bridges, electrical equipment, etc - วิศวกรรมศาสตร์
- exploit: to treat someone unfairly in order to get some benefit for yourself - หาประโยชน์จาก
- figure: a number representing a particular amount, especially one given in official information - ตัวเลข, จำนวนเลข
- human trafficking: the trade of humans, most commonly for the purpose of sexual slavery, forced labor or commercial sexual exploitation for the trafficker or others (Source: Wikipedia) - การค้ามนุษย์
- illegal: against the law - ผิดกฎหมาย, นอกกฎหมาย
- in terms of (verb): measured by -
- initial: early; first - เบื้องต้น
- issue: matter; a subject that people discuss or argue about - ประเด็น
- labour: people whose job involves hard physical work that is not skilled, especially work that is done outdoors - กรรมกร, ผู้ใช้แรงงาน
- legally: correct according to the law - ตามกฎหมาย
- licence: an official document that gives someone permission to do or use something - ใบอนุญาต
- limit: to stop something from increasing beyond a particular amount or level - จำกัด
- meanwhile: at the same time - ในเวลาเดียวกัน
- measure: a firm action taken to solve a problem or stop a dangerous unpleasant situation - มาตราการ
- mechanisms (noun): methods or systems for achieving something - กลไก, วิธีการทำงาน, วิธีการ
- migrant worker: someone who travels to another place or country in order to find work - คนงานต่างถิ่น
- normal (adj.): typical, usual or ordinary; what you would expect - ปกติ, ภาวะปกติ
- obtain: to get something that you want or need, especially by going through a process that is difficult - ได้มา, ได้รับ
- oversee (verb): (past form: oversaw) to watch or organise a job or an activity to make certain that it is being done correctly - คุมงาน,ควบคุม
- periodic: happening repeatedly over a period of time - บางครั้งบางคราว
- popular (adj): a situation in which someone or something is liked by many people - เป็นที่นิยม, เป็นที่ชื่นชอบ
- potential: possible in the future - ที่อาจเป็นไปได้
- procedure: a way of doing something - ขั้นตอนการดำเนินการ
- procedures (noun): ways of doing something - ขั้นตอนการดำเนินการ
- proposal: a plan or suggestion for a group to consider - ข้อเสนอ
- propose: to suggest an idea for a group to consider - เสนอ
- rank: to put someone or something into a position according to their success, importance, size etc - จัดลำดับ
- rank (noun): the position of somebody/something on a scale that shows how good or important they are in relation to other similar people or things, especially in sport - อันดับ
- recommend (verb): to advise someone that they should do something - แนะนำ
- reform: a change that is intended to correct a situation that is wrong or unfair - การแก้ไข การปฏิรูป
- registration: the process of recording names or information on an official list - การขึ้นทะเบียน, การลงทะเบียน
- require: to make somebody do or have something, especially because it is necessary according to a particular law or set of rules - บังคับใช้ (กฎหมาย) กำหนด
- resort to: to do something extreme or unpleasant in order to solve a problem - ใช้มาตรการรุนแรงในการแก้ปัญหา ยุติปัญหา
- right: a moral or legal claim to have or get something or to behave in a particular way - สิทธิ
- roughly: approximately but not exactly - โดยประมาณ, อย่างคร่าวๆ
- skilled: having enough ability, experience and knowledge to be able to do something well - มีทักษะ,
- social (adjective): related to society, to people and the way they are connected to each other and interact with each other - เกี่ยวกับสังคม
- stage: a part of an activity or process or a period of development - ช่วง, ระยะ, ตอน
- Steering Assembly (noun): a group of people that a government or an organisation chooses to direct an activity and to decide how it will be done - คณะกรรมการดำเนินการ
- submit: to formally give something to someone so that can make a decision about it - ยื่น (เอกสาร) เพื่อการพิจารณา
- suggest: to mention an idea or a plan for somebody else to think about - เสนอ, เสนอแนะ
- technicians (noun): people whose jobs are keeping particular types of equipment or machinery in good condition - เจ้าหน้าที่เทคนิค, ช่าง
- temporary: done or used for only a limited period of time, i.e., not permanent - ชั่วคราว
- top spot: first, number one in some area or achievement -
- urge (verb): to advise someone very strongly about what action or attitude they should take - วิงวอน ย้ำเตือน