Red Bull heir "Boss" in Bangkok last week before fleeing
Red Bull heir Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya, the suspect in a brutal hit-and-run case, has avoided authorities once again by leaving Thailand on April 25, two days before he was due to answer charges over the 2012 incident.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Red Bull scion flees Bangkok with 2 days to spare
Red Bull scion Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya, the suspect in a brutal hit-and-run case in which a police officer was killed, gave authorities the slip once again by leaving Thailand for an unknown destination on April 25, just two days before he was due to answer charges over the 2012 incident.
Legal proceedings to indict the grandson of the late founder of Red Bull have dragged on for five years, hampered by excuses and delays by Mr Vorayuth, also known as "Boss".
He dodged another summons last week, inflaming a public already angered by the lack of progress made on the case and reeling at recent news reports that he had been living a lavish jet-set lifestyle despite the legal proceedings looming over him.
Pol Maj Gen Apichart Suriboonya, chief of the Royal Thai Police's Foreign Affairs Division, said immigration records showed Mr Vorayuth exited the kingdom last Tuesday. His whereabouts remain unknown, he added.
The suspect's lawyer, Thanit Buakhiew, lodged a request on Wednesday to seek an eighth deferral for his client to answer the charges. But the Office of the Attorney-General (OAG) rejected the request and asked police to seek a court warrant for Mr Vorayuth's arrest.
The warrant for Mr Vorayuth's arrest was issued on Friday.
Pol Maj Gen Apichart said the Foreign Affairs Division sent a letter to the UK National Central Bureau for Interpol that same day asking it to confirm whether Mr Vorayuth was in the United Kingdom.
He said the two agencies would meet this week to follow up on the issue as the OAG is keen to initiate an extradition request.
If Mr Vorayuth is not in the UK, Interpol will issue an international alert, known as a Blue Notice, to its 190 member countries to locate, identify or obtain information on the suspect, he said.
Police in Sukhumvit's Thong Lor area – where the officer was hit and dragged to his death in the early hours of the morning before the suspect allegedly fled the scene – have forwarded a letter to the Foreign Ministry's Department of Consular Affairs to initiate a process to revoke Mr Vorayuth's passport, said Pol Maj Gen Apichart.
He said this is the first case involving the extradition of a hit-and-run suspect he has seen during 15 years on the force, but that he was confident the man would eventually be brought to justice.
Many outspoken critics have less faith in the outcome of a case they claim highlights the privilege enjoyed by Thailand's wealthy elite, or so-called "hi-so" families. Mr Vorayuth's father is Thailand's fourth-richest billionaire, according to reports.
Deputy police spokesman Krissana Pattanacharoen said Monday that Thong Lor police have taken steps to bring Mr Vorayuth to court, including forwarding the arrest warrant to the Immigration Bureau and the RTP's Foreign Affairs Division. He said the Foreign Ministry's Department of Consular Affairs has also been notified.
He said the probe is not being stalled but has been extended to make sure all involved are questioned thoroughly.
The inquiry centres on the police's handling of the case, which faced heavy criticism after two charges – speeding and reckless driving causing damage to others' property – were dropped after their one-year statute of limitations expired.
Learn from listening
- affairs: events affecting a government, military, organisation, etc. - กรณียกิจ, กิจธุระ
- agency (noun): a government department that provides a particular service - หน่วยงานราชการ
- alert: a warning to people to be prepared to deal with something dangerous - การเตือนให้ระวัง
- allegedly (adv): stated without giving complete proof - ที่ถูกกล่าวหา, นัยว่า
- arrest: (of the police) taking someone to a police station because they are believed to have committed a crime - การจับกุม
- Attorney-General: the top legal officer in some countries, who advises the leader of the government - อัยการสูงสุด
- authorities: the police or people in official organisations who have the legal power to make people obey laws or rules - เจ้าหน้าที่ (ตำรวจ หรือผู้มีอำนาจ)
- billionaire: having more than a billion pounds, dollars (or a billion baht in Thailand) - คนที่รวยมากๆ มีทรัพย์สินพันล้านดอลล่าร์
- brought to justice: to put someone on trial in a court of law - นำตัวมาดำเนินคดีตามกฎหมาย
- brutal: extremely violent and unpleasant - โหดร้าย
- case: a matter that is being officially investigated or heard by a court - คดี
- charge : an official statement accusing someone of committing a crime - ข้อกล่าวหา
- chief: a person with a high rank or the highest rank in a company or an organisation - หัวหน้า, ผู้นำ
- claim: to say that something is true although it has not been proved and other people may not believe it - อ้าง
- client: a customer or someone who receives services of a lawyer - ลูกความ
- confident: being certain of your abilities or of having trust in people, plans, or the future - มั่นใจ
- consular: involving government officials who represent their country in a foreign city - เกี่ยวกับกงสุล
- court: the place where legal trials take place and where crimes, etc. are judged - ศาล
- criticism: comments that show that you think something is wrong or bad - การวิจารณ์
- critics: people who don’t like something and who state their opinion about it - นักวิจารณ์
- deferral (noun): the action of delaying something until a later time - การยืดเวลา
- delay (noun): causing to happen at a later time; happening at a later time than expected - การเลื่อน, ช้ากว่าปกติ
- deputy: a person whose rank is immediately below that of the leader of an organisation - รอง
- despite (prep): used to show that something happened or is true although something else might have happened to prevent it; used to show that somebody did not intend to do the thing mentioned - ถึงอย่างไรก็ตาม, ทั้ง ๆ ที่
- destination: the place where someone or something is going - จุดหมายปลายทาง
- dodge: to avoid something unpleasant - หลบหลีก
- drag: to pull something or someone along with difficulty - ลาก
- dragged on (verb): continued for a long time, especially something bad or unnecessary - ยืดเวลาออกไปโดยไม่จำเป็น
- due to: scheduled to - มีกำหนด
- elite: the richest, most powerful, best educated or most highly trained group in a society - คนที่มีอภิสิทธิ์ที่สุด
- eventually: at the end of a period of time or at the end of a process - ในที่สุด
- excuse: a reason that you give to explain why you have done something bad, or why you have not done something that you should have done - ข้อแก้ตัว, ข้ออ้าง
- exit: to leave - ออกจาก
- expire: to come to an end or stop being in use - หมดอายุ
- extended: made longer or larger - ซึ่งยาวออกไป, ซึ่งกว้างออกไป, ซึ่งยืดออกไป
- extradition: sending someone accused of a crime back to the country where the crime was committed for trial or punishment - การส่งผู้ร้ายข้ามแดน
- faith: trust in somebody's ability or knowledge; trust that somebody/something will do what has been promised - ศรัทธา
- fled (past of flee): escaped; left an area very quickly because of a danger there - หนีไป
- Foreign Ministry (noun): Ministry of Foreign Affairs; the ministry in charge of maintaining relations with other countries and looking after the interests of its citizens living abroad. - กระทรวงการต่างประเทศ
- forward: to send onwards - ส่งต่อ
- founder (noun): a person who establishes an institution, business, or organisation - ผู้ก่อตั้ง
- give the slip (idiom): to escape; to flee - หนี
- grandson (noun): a son of your son or daughter - หลานชาย
- hamper: to stop someone or something from making progress or developing; to hinder - ขัดขวาง, เป็นอุปสรรค
- handle: to deal with a situation, a person, an area of work or a strong emotion - ควบคุม, ปฏิบัติ,จัดการ
- highlight: to make something more noticeable - เน้น,ทำให้เด่น
- hit-and-run: (of a road accident) caused by a driver who does not stop to help - ที่ชนแล้วหนี
- identify: to recognise something and understand what it is - ชี้ ระบตัวุ
- immigration: dealing with people entering and leaving the country - การตรวจคนเข้าเมือง
- Immigration Bureau: the government agency dealing with people entering and leaving the country and those who want to live there - สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง
- incident: something that happens, usually something bad - เหตุการณ์
- indict (verb): to officially accuse someone of a serious crime - ฟ้องร้อง
- inflame: to cause very strong feelings, especially anger or excitement, in a person or in a group of people - ทำให้ลุกเป็นไฟ, ทำให้โกรธ
- initiate: to start something or make it start - ริเริ่ม
- inquiry: an official examination of a problem, crime, accident, etc. in order to get information or the truth - การไต่สวนหาข้อเท็จจริง การไต่สวน
- Interpol: an international organization that enables the police forces of different countries to help each other to solve crimes - องค์การตำรวจสากล
- involved (verb): taking part or having a role in something - เกี่ยวข้อง, มีบทบาท
- issue: a problem that needs to be considered - ประเด็น
- issue: to officially give out - ออก
- jet-set (adj): used to describe rich, fashionable people who travel a lot -
- keen: very interested, eager or wanting (to do) something very much - สนใจ, ใจจดใจจ่อ
- lack of: when there is not enough of something - ขาด
- late: dead - ที่ล่วงลับไปแล้ว
- lavish: more than enough, especially if expensive - ฟุ่มเฟือย
- lawyer: an attorney - ทนาย
- legal: relating to the law - เกี่ยวกับกฎหมาย
- lifestyle: the type of life that you have, for example the type of job or house you have or the type of activity you like doing - วิถีทางการดำเนินชีวิต, ลีลาชีวิต, รูปแบบการดำเนินชีวิต
- locate: to find where someone or something is - หาทำเล,หาที่ตั้ง
- lodge: to formally make something such as a complaint or a claim - ยื่น (คำร้อง)
- looming : seeming likely to happen soon - ที่เห็นลางๆ
- notification (noun): the act of giving or receiving official information about something - การแจ้ง
- outcome: a result - ผล
- outspoken: giving your opinion strongly and honestly, even if other people do not like it - พูดโผงผาง,พูดตรงไปตรงมา,พูดจาเปิดเผย
- privilege: a special benefit that is available only to a particular person or group - เอกสิทธิ์
- probe: an attempt to find out the truth about an issue, problem or accident, made by an official group (or by the media); an investigation - การตรวจสอบ การสอบสวน
- proceedings: the actions taken, usually in court, to settle a legal matter - การดำเนินการ
- process: a series of actions that you take in order to achieve a result - แนวทางปฏิบัติ, กระบวน, วิธีการ
- progress: the process of improving or developing, or of getting nearer to achieving or completing something - ความก้าวหน้า
- property: things, especially valuable things, that are owned by someone - ทรัพย์สมบัติ, ทรัพย์สิน
- reckless: not thinking about the possible bad effects of your actions - สะเพร่า
- reel: to feel very shocked, upset or confused - ตกตะลึง
- reject: to not accept something - ปฏิเสธ ไม่ยอมรับ
- request: an act of asking for something in a formal or polite way - การขอร้อง
- revoke: to officially say that something is no longer legal, e.g., a contract, a law, a document, etc. - เพิกถอน
- scene: site; a place where something happens or happened - สถานที่เกิดเหตุ
- scion (noun): a young member of a family, especially a famous or important one - ทายาท
- spare: to save or set aside - สงวนไว้
- stall: to delay - ทำให้ล่าช้า
- statute of limitations: the legal limit on the period of time within which action can be taken on a crime or other legal question - อายุความ
- summons (noun): officially ordering someone to come to a place - การเรียกตัว
- suspect: a person who is thought to have committed a crime - ผู้ต้องสงสัย
- thoroughly (adv): very much; completely - อย่างแท้จริง, อย่างที่สุด
- unknown (adj.): someone who you do not know who they are; unfamiliar - ที่ไม่รู้, ที่ไม่เป็นเป็นรู้จัก
- warrant (noun): a legal document that is signed by a judge and gives the police authority to do something - หมาย
- whereabouts: where someone is - ที่อยู่,สถานที่,ตำแหน่งที่