Facebook told to remove posts or face charges
Realities of global communication in a hyper-connected world makes control over what people read & censorship very difficult indeed, but govt authorities still try hard.
TECHNOLOGY, FREEDOM OF SPEECH & CENSORSHIP
Facebook told to remove posts or face charges
Authorities have given Facebook until Tuesday morning to remove the 131 remaining posts that a Thai court ordered to be removed or face legal action.
The decision was made by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) and the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society (DE).
A Facebook page shows the standard message the service displays for censored material. Thai internet providers want hundreds of these. (Photos provided)
THAI INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDERS ASKED FACEBOOK TO REMOVE CONTENT
Last week, Thai Internet Service Providers (ISPs) sent an email to Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg, through the Thai Association of Internet Service Providers Association (TISPA), asking Facebook to block posts with content ruled illegal in Thailand including lese majeste.
Facebook is the biggest social network in Thailand.
Takorn Tantasith, secretary-general of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission, official censor and regulator, has ordered all illicit websites and content blocked by next Wednesday
FACEBOOK ONLY REMOVED 178 of 309 POSTS ON CRIMINAL COURT BLACKLIST
LEGAL ACTION AGAINST FACEBOOK THAILAND THREATENED
LEGAL DIFFICULTY OF SUEING TO REMOVE FACEBOOK CONTENT
If the government took legal action against Facebook Thailand for violating the Thai court order and the computer crime act, they had to make sure that Facebook Thailand was a full branch office of Facebook Inc.
This is according to Dhiraphol Suwanprateep, partner for information technology and communication at the international law firm Baker & McKenzie Ltd.
"If Facebook Thailand was registered as a separate entity, it cannot be sued since it has no power to control illegal [Facebook] content," said Mr Dhiraphol.
THAI ISPS HAVE VERY LIMITED POWER TO DELETE CONTENT
The government may also find it hard to sue ISPs as they were not the ones who posted the illegal content.
"It can only press charges against the ISPs as supporters if it has proof they have ignored [orders] to remove the illegal content," said Mr Dhiraphol.
However, from the technical perspective, it is very difficult for an ISP to know where those URLs or posts which contain illegal content actually are.
THAI ISPS DO NOT HAVE CONTROL OVER DATA MANAGEMENT & STORAGE
CENSORSHIP VERY DIFFICULT INDEED
These are just the realities of contemporary global communication in a hyper- connected world that makes control over what people read and censorship very difficult indeed.
"Forcing local ISPs to handle illegal content is not practical as they do not have the full capability to monitor and remove content."
CHINA MODEL ONLY OPTION FOR BLOCKING ALL ILLEGAL CONTENT
He added that censoring content was not a problem only in Thailand since it happens globally.
The question is whether they have an alternative for users, he said.
While China blocks Facebook, it has similar services, the most popular of which is Sina Weibo.
Mr Dhirapol said a government also can shut down caching or content delivery network (CDN) servers but this would drastically slow down the network traffic and create negative effects on users.
Shutting down Facebook entirely could have a negative effect on Thailand's tourism industry because many people rely on Facebook in their business life and family.
Learn from listening
- accessible: that can be reached, entered, used, seen, etc - ที่สามารถเข้าได้
- Act: a law passed by a country’s government - กฎหมาย
- agency (noun): a government department that provides a particular service - หน่วยงานราชการ
- authority (noun): a person or government agency who has the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- blacklist: a list of the names of people, companies, products or countries that an organization or a government considers unacceptable and that must be avoided - บัญชีดำ, รายชื่อผู้ที่รัฐบาลไม่ยอมรับหรือต้องถูกหลีกเลี่ยง
- block: to prevent from being seen - ปิดกั้น
- branch: an office or shop representing a large company or organisation in a particular area - สาขา
- capability: the ability to do something - ความสามารถ
- censorship: removing the parts of a book, film/movie, internet content, etc. that are considered to be offensive, immoral or a political threat - การเซ็นเซอร์, การตรวจสอบสื่อต่างๆ เพื่อตัดส่วนที่ไม่เหมาะสมออก
- charge : an official statement accusing someone of committing a crime - ข้อกล่าวหา
- chief executive: the person with the highest rank in a company or an organisation - ผู้บริหารสูงสุด
- communications (noun): the process of sending information through television, radio, telephone signals and the internet - การสื่อสาร
- connected: linked - เชื่อมต่อ เชื่อมโยง
- contemporary: belonging to the present time - ที่อยู่ในปัจจุบัน, ทันสมัย
- content: the subject, ideas, or story that a piece of writing or a radio or television programme deals with - เนื้อหา,สาระ
- control: To exercise restraining or governing influence over; to check; to counteract; to restrain; to regulate; to govern; to overpower - จัดการ, ควบคุม
- court: the place where legal trials take place and where crimes, etc. are judged - ศาล
- deadline: a time or day by which something must be done - เส้นตาย
- empowered: given the legal power to do something - มีอำนาจ
- exempted: not having to follow a rule or obligation or make a payment - ยกเว้น
- firm: a business or company - บริษัท
- flow: (of a liquid) to move continuously in one direction - ไหล
- global: world - เกี่ยวกับโลก
- harbour: an area of water near the land where it is safe for boats to stay - ท่าเรือ
- harbour: to protect someone who has done something wrong - ปิดบัง,ซ่อนเร้น
- hyper-: more than normal; extremely; too much - มาก, เหนือ, เกิน, สูง
- ignore: to intentionally not listen or give attention to - ทำเพิกเฉย
- illegal: against the law - ผิดกฎหมาย, นอกกฎหมาย
- illicit: against the law - ผิดกฎหมาย
- intermediary (noun): a person or an organisation that helps other people or organisations to make an agreement by being a means of communication between them; someone who talks to each of the people or groups involved in something, usually passing information from one to the other or trying to persuade them to agree with each other - สื่อกลาง, ตัวกลาง, คนกลาง
- international: connected with or involving two or more countries - นานาชาติ, สากล, ระหว่างประเทศ
- internationally: connected with or involving two or more countries - นานาชาติ, สากล, ระหว่างประเทศ
- internet service provider (ISP): a company that provides internet service to people and companies - ผู้ให้บริการอินเทอร์เน็ต (ไอเอสพี)
- legal: relating to the law or lawyers - เกี่ยวกับกฎหมาย
- lese majeste: the crime of offending, threatening or showing disrespect for a member of the royal family - หมิ่นพระบรมเดชานุภาพ
- member: a person, a country or an organization that has joined a particular group, club or team - สมาชิก
- ministry: a government department that has a particular area of responsibility - กระทรวง
- monitor: to regularly check something or watch someone in order to find out what is happening - ตรวจสอบ ตรวจตรา
- National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC): the independent government agency which oversees and regulates the Thai telecoms and broadcasting industry - สำนักงานคณะกรรมการกิจการกระจายเสียง กิจการโทรทัศน์และกิจการโทรคมนาคมแห่งชาติ
- order (verb): to use your position of authority to tell somebody to do something or say that something must happen - สั่ง
- order (noun): something that somebody is told to do by somebody in authority - คำสั่ง
- originate: to come from a particular place, time, situation, etc - มาจาก, ริเริ่มจาก
- partner: one of the people who owns a business and shares the profits, etc or works together with another business in an activity - หุ้นส่วน, ผู้ร่วมมือ,
- perspective: a particular way of considering something - ทัศนคติ
- power (noun): political control of a country or an area; having a lot of influence and authority to control people and situations - อำนาจ
- practical: suitable for the situation in which something is used - ที่ขึ้นอยู่กับความเป็นจริง
- principle: a basic belief, theory, or rule that has a major influence on the way in which something is done; a moral rule or standard of good behavior - กฎ, ข้อปฏิบัติ, หลักปฏิบัติ
- proof: information, documents, etc. that show that something is true - การพิสูจน์
- reality: what is actually happening - ความเป็นจริง
- recognise: to accept that something is true or important - ยอมรับ
- register: to put your name and other information on an official list in order to be allowed to do something, e.g., vote, study, stay in a hotel etc - ลงทะเบียน
- remain (verb): to stay in the same place; to not leave - ยังอยู่, พักอยู่, รออยู่
- remove (verb): to take something away - เอาออก
- representative: someone who has been chosen or elected by a person or group to vote, give opinions, or make decisions for them - ผู้แทน
- responsible: deserving to be blamed for something that has happened - มีความรับผิดชอบ
- responsible for: to have a duty to do something - มีความรับผิดชอบ
- secretary-general (noun): the person who is in charge of the department that deals with the running of a large international or political organisation - เลขาธิการ, เลขาธิการใหญ่
- social network: websites or other services on the internet for communication with people who share your interests - เครือข่ายสังคม
- society (noun): people in general, living together in communities - สังคม
- sue: to take legal action against a person or organisation, especially by making a legal claim for money because of some harm that they have caused you - ฟ้องร้อง
- supporter (noun): a person who helps and supports a person, organization or idea - ผู้สนับสนุน
- technical: connected with the skills needed for a particular job, sport, art, etc; connected with practical methods for doing something - ในทางเทคนิค
- traffic: the number of cars, trucks and other vehicles traveling along a road at one time; also used for data traveling along a network - การจราจร
- violate: to do something that is against the law - ละเมิดกฏหมาย