AirAsia plane 'shaking like washing machine' returns
AirAsia flight to Malaysia 'shaking like a washing machine' forced back to Australia. Engine 'seized up' lost blade.
AirAsia plane 'shaking like washing machine' returns
AFP News Agency
An AirAsia flight to Malaysia was forced back to Australia Sunday due to a technical problem, with one passenger saying the plane was "shaking like a washing machine".
The Airbus A330 from Perth to Kuala Lumpur experienced problems about 90 minutes into the journey.
The plane eventually landed safely, with Perth Airport reporting a "technical issue".
"The pilot identified technical issues, turned around and returned," an airport spokesman told AFP, adding that emergency crews were put on standby but not needed.
The Malaysian low-cost carrier said only that "flight crew are taking precautionary measures to check the aircraft".
SECOND SCARE THIS MONTH
It was the second scare involving an Airbus A330 in Australia this month, with a China Eastern plane making an emergency landing in Sydney after a huge hole appeared in one of its engine casings.
Terrified passengers on that flight described a very loud noise soon after it left Sydney for Shanghai. No one was hurt.
PASSENGERS HEARD BANG THEN PLANE STARTED SHUDDERING
The West Australian newspaper cited passengers on Sunday's flight as saying they heard a bang and then the plane started shuddering.
"You could tell by the cabin crew's reaction that it was really bad," said Sophie Nicolas.
She said she heard a small explosion from the left wing of the plane.
"It was terrifying."
WHOLE PLANE STARTED SHAKING, ENGINE SEIZED UP?
Another passenger, Brenton Atkinson, told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) that the whole plane started shaking, far more than standard turbulence.
"It was essentially the engine seized up I think, that's what they told us anyway," he said.
"It was literally like you were sitting on top of a washing machine. The whole thing was going."
"We could see the engine out the window which was really shaking on the wing.
ONE OF THE BLADES CAME OFF THE JET TURBINE
PREVIOUS AIR ASIA ACCIDENTS LEFT HUNDREDS DEAD
The airline suffered its first fatal incident in December 2014, when AirAsia Flight QZ8501 crashed in stormy weather off Indonesia with 162 people on board.
That followed two Malaysia Airlines incidents in the same year which left hundreds dead, raising concerns among some travellers about the safety of the country's carriers.
Learn from listening
- aircraft (noun): an airplane or helicopter or other vehicle that travels through the air from place to place - เครื่องบิน
- appear: to be seen - ปรากฏ
- bang: a sudden loud noise - เสียงดังมาก, เสียงระเบิด, เสียงปัง
- blade: the thin sharp part of a knife, tool, or weapon that cuts things - ใบมีด
- broadcasting (noun): the sending out of a programme on television or radio - กระจายเสียง,กระจายข่าว
- cabin crew: the people whose job is to take care of passengers on a plan - พนักงานภายในเครื่องบิน, ลูกเรือ
- carrier: a company that carries goods or passengers from one place to another, especially by air - บริษัทขนส่ง (โดยเฉพาะสายการบิน)
- cite: to mention something as an example - กล่าวถึง
- corporation: a large business company - บริษัท
- crew (noun): a group of people who work together to do a job - กลุ่มคนที่ทำงานร่วมกัน
- crew: the people who work on a ship, aircraft, etc. - ลูกเรือ
- describe (verb): to say what somebody/something is like - เล่า, บรรยาย, บอก
- due to: because of - เนื่องจาก
- emergency: an unexpected situation involving danger in which immediate action is necessary - เหตุฉุกเฉิน
- essentially: the true, important or basic nature of somebody/something - เป็นหลัก, โดยพื้นฐาน, ตามความเป็นจริง
- eventually: at the end of a period of time or at the end of a process - ในที่สุด
- experience (verb): to have something happen to you or to live through some event - ประสบ
- explosion (noun): the sudden violent bursting and loud noise of something such as a bomb exploding; the act of deliberately causing something to explode - การระเบิด
- explosion: a large, sudden or rapid increase in the amount or number of something - การระเบิด
- fatal: causing someone to die - ถึงตาย
- flight (noun): a trip on an airplane; a plane making a particular journey - การเดินทางด้วยเครื่องบิน; เที่ยวบิน
- force (noun): making someone do something that they don't want to do - การบังคับ
- huge: very large - ใหญ่โต
- identified: searched for and found something, able to see and understand what it is -
- incident: something that happens, usually something bad - เหตุการณ์
- involving: taking part or having a role in something - เกี่ยวข้อง
- issue: a problem that needs to be considered - ประเด็น
- journey: travelling from one place to another, especially when they are far apart - การเดินทาง
- land: to cause an aircraft or a bird to come down to the ground - บินลง, นำลงจอด
- literally: really true; exactly as what was said - อย่างแท้จริง, อย่างตามตัวอักษร
- passenger: someone who travels in a motor vehicle, aircraft, train, or ship but is not the driver or one of the people who works on it - ผู้โดยสาร
- precautionary measure: an action taking to prevent something bad from happening - มาตราการป้องกันล่วงหน้า
- reaction: the way something responds as a result of something that happens - ปฏิกิริยา การตอบสนอง, ปฏิกิริยาตอบโต้
- realise (verb): to know about - ตระหนัก รู้
- scare: a situation that makes people suddenly feel worried or frightened about something - ความหวาดกลัว, ความตื่นตระหนก
- seized up: stop working or functioning -
- shake (verb): (past form: "shook") to cause someone to feel nervous or frightened because of something that has happened - ทำให้ตกใจและสะเทือนใจ
- shudder (verb): to shake very hard - สั่น, สั่นกระตุก
- spokesman: a person who speaks on behalf of a group or an organization - โฆษก
- standby: something which is ready for use if needed - สำรอง
- suffer: to experience something very unpleasant or painful - ประสบ
- technical: connected with the skills needed for a particular job, sport, art, etc; connected with practical methods for doing something - ในทางเทคนิค
- terrified: very frightened - ตกใจ, ใจหาย, ขวัญหนี
- terrifying: extremely frightening; causing great fear - น่าสะพรึงกลัว
- turbine: an engine or a machine that uses the pressure of liquid or gas on a wheel to get power - กังหัน