"Leaning" tower of Bangkok sparks brief panic
A social media alert that a high-rise under construction near Ploenchit intersection appeared to be leaning over stirred brief panic on Tuesday.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Downtown panic as new building seems to tilt
Online reporters and Kanana Katharangsiporn
A social media alert that a high-rise under construction near Ploenchit intersection appeared to be leaning over stirred brief panic on Tuesday, but it was just the unusual design being revealed as the contractor removed the covering.
An artist's impression of the building. (Supplied photo)
A Twitter user posted photos of the Pathumwan building with a hashtag for JS100 traffic radio, saying that it appeared to be leaning towards the adjacent high-rise condominium building, Noble Ploenchit.
The images were rapidly shared, along with people's comments on the "leaning" building.
However, the project engineer later told reporters the architect designed it that way, to reflect the hand movement of the wai.
The 33-storey building is being developed by Rende Ploenchit Hotel Co, will be known as Rosewood Bangkok, have 159 rooms and is scheduled to open in 2019, according to its website.
Pathumwan district director Morakot Sanittangkul said officials were sent to check the building and found no indication it was actually leaning over or subsiding. It was the building's design.
She said the building was designed with a slope from the 10th floor up to the 33rd floor. The contractor, Ritta Co, had merely removed the protective scaffolding from around the building, and some people had wrongly jumped to the conclusion it might collapse.
A Ritta employee shows a model of the building.
Noppadol Chaipanya, director of building control at the city's Public Works Department, said the building had construction approval. The slope was only on the exterior, and the interior was a normal building structure.
Officials from Pathumwan district inspected the construction every 15 days to ensure it followed the approved blueprint, he said.
Learn from listening
- according to (prep): as stated or reported by somebody/something - ตามคำบอกเล่า, ตามรายงาน
- adjacent: very near, next to, or touching - ติดกัน
- alert: a warning to people to be prepared to deal with something dangerous - การเตือนให้ระวัง
- appear: to seem - ดูเหมือนจะ, ดูเหมือนว่า
- approval: official permission - การอนุมัต
- architect: a person whose job is to design new buildings and make certain that they are built correctly - สถาปนิก
- blueprint: a photographic copy of an early plan for a building or machine - พิมพ์เขียว, แผนงานที่ละเอียด
- brief: lasting for only a short time - ระยะเวลาสั้นๆ
- collapse: to fall down suddenly - พังลงมา ล้ม, พังครืน
- construction: the work of building or making something, especially buildings, bridges, etc. - การก่อสร้าง
- contractor: a person or company whose job is to do work for another person, organisation, company, etc. - ผู้รับเหมา
- director (noun): the head of a school or organisation - ผู้อำนวยการ
- district (noun): an area of a country, town or province, especially one that has particular features - เขต, อำเภอ, บริเวณ, แขวง
- employee: someone who is paid regularly to work for a person or an organisation - ลูกจ้าง
- ensue: to happen after something else, often as a result of it - มีผลตามมา
- ensure: to make certain that something happens or is done - ให้การยืนยัน, รับรอง, ให้ความมั่นใจ
- exterior: the outside part of something, especially a building - ภายนอก
- hashtag: a word or a phrase with a "#" before it, that marks something as belonging to a certain category or relevant -
- high-rise: a building is very tall with many floors or levels - อาคาร ซึ่งมีหลายชั้น
- impression: an opinion or feeling that you have about someone or something you have seen but do not know very well - ความรู้สึก
- indication: a sign that something happened, is true or exists - เครื่องบ่งชี้
- inspect: to look at something carefully - ตรวจสอบ, ตรวจสอบอย่างละเอียด
- interior: the inside of something - ภายใน
- intersection: a place where roads, lines, etc., join or cross each other - สี่แยก
- jump to a conclusion: to make a decision about somebody/something too quickly, before you know or have thought about all the facts - ด่วนตัดสินใจ, รีบตัดสินใจเร็วเกินไป
- lean: to stand or be set at an angle - เอียง, เอน
- media: radio, television, newspaper, the Internet, considered as a group - สื่อ
- normal (adj.): typical, usual or ordinary; what you would expect - ปกติ, ภาวะปกติ
- officials: people who have the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- panic: a sudden strong feeling of fear or worry that causes you to be unable to think clearly or calmly - ความตื่นตกใจ
- project: a planned piece of work that is designed to find information about something, to produce something new, or to improve something - โครงการ
- protective: providing or intended to provide protection - ซึ่งปกป้อง
- public works: building projects such as schools, roads, and railways that are built and paid for by the government - การโยธาสาธารณะ, สิ่งก่อสร้าง (ถนนหนทาง,เขื่อนที่ทำการไปรษณีย์และอื่น ๆ) ที่เป็นสาธารณูปโภค
- rapidly: happening quickly - อย่างรวดเร็ว
- reflect: to show - สะท้อน แสดงถึง
- remove (verb): to take something away - เอาออก
- reporters (noun): people whose job is to write articles or make broadcasts about events in the news - ผู้สื่อข่าว, นักข่าว
- reveal: to show something that was covered or hidden or not known - เปิด, ทำให้ปรากฎ
- scaffolding: a structure of metal poles and wooden boards put against a building for workers to stand on when they want to reach the higher parts of the building - นั่งร้าน
- scheduled: planned to happen at a particular time or day - ตามตารางเวลา
- site: a place where something is located - สถานที่
- slope: a straight surface that has one end higher than the other - พื้นที่ลาดเอียง, ที่ลาด
- stir (verb): to make people feel strong emotions - ปลุก, ก่อ
- structure: something large such as a building or a bridge that is built from different parts - โครงสร้าง
- subside: to suddenly sink to a lower level - ทรุดตัว, จมลง, ยุบลง
- tilt: to (cause to) move into a sloping position - กระดก
- under construction: being built - กำลังสร้าง