November start for Thai-Chinese high-speed rail construction
Construction of the Thai-Chinese rail development project linking Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima is expected to begin in November.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Thai-Sino rail work to start in November
Construction of the Thai-Chinese rail development project linking Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima is expected to begin in November, Deputy Transport Minister Pichit Akrathit said yesterday.
Mr Pichit was speaking after the latest meeting on the Thai-Chinese high-speed railway project, the 21st so far, in Tianjin, China, attended by Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith and Wang Xiaotao, vice-chairman of China's National Development and Reform Commission.
He said Thailand and China have signed an agreement on engineering procurement construction (EPC) and a contract to officially kick-start the joint development scheme should be ready on Oct 9.
The construction design should be passed to the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) in mid-October with construction work likely to begin in November, he added.
Under the joint scheme, Thailand is the project owner and China is responsible for certain engineering work and procuring track systems and equipment.
According to Mr Pichit, a first group of 76 Chinese engineers have undergone training and sat exams to test their understanding of Thai law and professional code of ethics as well as their engineering expertise.
The training and tests for the 179-billion-baht project were designed by the Council of Engineers in line with an order issued under Section 44.
About 400 Chinese engineers are due to be trained and tested. They need a 60% score to pass the tests.
The 21st meeting focused on the details of a contract involving mechanical and electrical systems, carriages, and future plans for the line extension from Nakhon Ratchasima to Nong Khai.
Learn from listening
- carriage: one of the vehicles that are joined together to make a train - ตู้โดยสาร
- code of ethics: the rules of morally proper behaviour - ประมวลจริยธรรม, ระเบียบวินัย
- commission: an official group of people who have been given responsibility to control something, or to find out about something, usually for the government - คณะกรรมการ, คณะกรรมาธิการ
- construction: the work of building or making something, especially buildings, bridges, etc. - การก่อสร้าง
- contract: an official written agreement - สัญญา
- council: a group of people chosen to give advice, make rules, do research, provide money - สภา, คณะกรรมการ
- deputy: a person whose rank is immediately below that of the leader of an organisation - รอง
- details: small facts or pieces of information relating to a situation - รายละเอียด
- development: the gradual growth of something so that it becomes more advanced, stronger, etc - การพัฒนา
- due to: scheduled to - มีกำหนด
- engineer (noun): a person whose job involves designing and building engines, machines, roads, bridges, etc. - วิศวกร
- engineering (noun): the activity of applying scientific knowledge to the design, building and control of machines, roads, bridges, electrical equipment, etc - วิศวกรรมศาสตร์
- equipment: the things that are needed for a particular purpose or activity - อุปกรณ์, เครื่องมือ
- expertise: a high level of knowledge or skill - ทักษะความรู้, ความคิดเห็นของผู้เชี่ยวชาญ
- extension: something that is added to make something longer, bigger, etc. - การยืดออก, การยืดขยาย, การเพิ่ม
- in line with: following a rule or system; also in accordance with and consistent with - สอดคล้องกับ
- issue: to announce something officially - ออกประกาศ
- joint: done together; belonging to or shared between two or more people - ที่ร่วมกัน, ความร่วมมือกัน
- kick-start: to start quickly and suddenly, like kicking the starting pedal of a motorcycle -
- linking: connecting - เชื่อมต่อ เชื่อมโยง
- mechanical: involving machinery or equipment that makes something operate, such as an engine -
- officially: publicly and by somebody who is in a position of authority - อย่างเป็นทางการ
- order (noun): something that somebody is told to do by somebody in authority - คำสั่ง
- procure: to buy supplies or equipment for a government department or company - จัดซื้อวัสดุ เครื่องมือสำหรับบริษัท หรือหน่วยงานของรัฐ
- procurement: the process of buying supplies or equipment for a government department or company - การจัดซื้อวัสดุ เครื่องมือสำหรับบริษัท หรือหน่วยงานของรัฐ
- professional: showing that somebody is well trained, skilled and responsible - ที่ทำเป็นอาชีพ
- project: a planned piece of work that is designed to find information about something, to produce something new, or to improve something - โครงการ
- reform: a change that is intended to correct a situation that is wrong or unfair - การแก้ไข การปฏิรูป
- responsible for: to have a duty to do something - มีความรับผิดชอบ
- scheme: a plan that is developed by a government or large organisation in order to provide a particular service for people - แผนการ โครงการ
- section: any of the parts into which something is divided, such as a law, constitution or contract - ส่วน, มาตรา
- State Railway of Thailand (SRT) (noun): The government department in charge of the country's railways - การรถไฟแห่งประเทศไทย
- system (noun): a particular way of doing something; an organised set of ideas or theories - ระบบ, หลักการ
- Transport Minister (noun): The government minister who heads the Ministry of Transport - รัฐมนตรีว่าการกระทรวงคมนาคม