King voices concern over mourners' comfort and safety
Final steps to protect public for royal cremation ceremony
His Majesty the King has requested measures be taken to ensure the public is safe and well cared for during the royal cremation ceremony for the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej tomorrow.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
King urges more care for mourners
His Majesty the King has requested measures be taken to ensure the public is safe and well cared for during the royal cremation ceremony for the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej tomorrow, taking into account weather conditions and other factors.
"We are considering laying rubber mats or mattresses on the ground to reduce the heat," Army chief Chalermchai Sittisad said Tuesday.
Crowds have been building around the royal cremation site at Sanam Luang in Bangkok's old quarter for days now as people began securing spots this week for an event that has been a year in the making.
The government has planned an elaborate farewell ceremony for the nation's revered monarch who reigned for 70 years and 126 days.
The ceremonies run from today until Sunday with the cremation due to take place tomorrow at 10pm.
The King has instructed the authorities to treat mourners with consideration, kindness and understanding, Gen Chalermchai said.
"His Majesty the King is concerned about the people. He instructed officials to treat them nicely, not to scold them and not to be too strict," he said.
Above and below: His Majesty the King on Tuesday urged the government to provide better comfort from sun and rain at the Sanam Luang spectator areas. Within hours, volunteers had found mats that had been stored, unused. (Post Today photo)
Rehearsals for the royal funeral processions on Friday and Saturday made the King realise extra care must be taken as the slow pace of proceedings could prove taxing for spectators, particularly the elderly, government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd noted.
As such, umbrellas and hats will be permitted before the processions pass the area where the viewers are seated, he said.
They will be instructed to sit, be respectful and observe previously mapped out etiquette when the processions approach, he added.
Many people have already reserved pavement space in the vicinity of the royal cremation site at Sanam Luang and have been camping there since Monday.
Raincoats were in abundance due to the heavy rain.
Roads around Sanam Luang, especially near the Rattanakosin Hotel, also known as Royal Hotel, Klong Lot canal and Chang Rong Si Bridge were proving popular spots as mourners waited for security checkpoints to open at 5am today to get as close as possible to the event.
Some turned up with plastic sheeting, food, cough syrup and drinking water. In a spirit of giving, local householders let them use their shower rooms and toilets.
But as the crowds flocked to the viewing areas, some chaotic scenes unfolded.
"My family spent months planning our visit here," said Prasit Suwannajirat, a 59-year-old merchant from Rayong.
He said he had been first in line to enter the screening checkpoint near the Rattanakosin Hotel before he was squeezed out by queue-jumpers.
Volunteers were seen frantically trying to calm people down Tuesday as once-orderly lines became swollen and manners were forgotten. "Because there are so fewer authorities than citizens, it is becoming increasingly difficult to take care of people," said Thanamet Patchimapihong.
More police officers, volunteers and city officials were drafted in to maintain order this week as the number of people waiting grew in number.
You can read the full story here: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1348350/king-urges-more-care-for-mourners
The POSTGraphics infographic below lists the main foreign dignitaries who will attend Thursday's cremation.
Learn from listening
- abundance (noun): a large quantity that is more than enough - ความอุดมสมบูรณ์, ความมากมาย
- approach: to move closer to someone or something - เข้าใกล้
- as such (prep): therefore; as the word is usually understood; in the exact sense of the word - ดังที่เป็นเช่นนั้น
- authorities: people who have the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- calm: to cause to be peaceful and quiet; without anxiety - ทำให้ใจเย็น,ทำให้ไม่ตื่นเต้น, ทำให้สงบ
- ceremony (noun): a formal public event - งานพิธี
- chaotic: happening in a confused way and without any order or organisation - ยุ่งเหยิง วุ่นวาย
- checkpoint: a place where people have to stop so their vehicles and documents can be checked - ด่านตรวจ
- chief: a person with a high rank or the highest rank in a company or an organisation - หัวหน้า, ผู้นำ
- citizens (noun): people who have the right to live permanently in a particular country - พลเมือง
- concerned: worried about something - มีความกังวล
- conditions: the weather at a particular time - อากาศ
- consideration (noun): the quality of being sensitive towards others and thinking about their wishes and feelings - ความคิดเห็นใจผู้อื่น
- cough syrup: the sticky sweet liquid medicine taken to stop coughing -
- cremation: the burning of a dead body - การเผาศพ (งานพระราชทานเพลิงพระศพ)
- draft (verb): to choose people and send them somewhere for a special task; to choose someone to do a job - เกณฑ์
- due to: because of - เนื่องจาก
- due to: scheduled to - มีกำหนด
- elaborate: containing a lot of careful detail or many detailed parts - ที่ประณีต,อย่างรอบคอบ,ซับซ้อน,ละเอียด,ที่บรรจง
- elderly: (of people) old - สูงวัย, อาวุโส, อายุมาก
- ensure: to make certain that something happens or is done - ให้การยืนยัน, รับรอง, ให้ความมั่นใจ
- etiquette: a set of rules about behaviour for people in a particular profession - มารยาท, ธรรมเนียมปฏิบัติ
- event: a planned public or social occasion - งานสังคม
- factors (noun): facts or situations which influence the result of something - ปัจจัย
- farewell: saying goodbye to someone when you do not expect to see them again for a long time - การกล่าวลา, การลาจาก
- flock: to go somewhere in large numbers; to gather together in large numbers - แห่กันไป
- frantically: done in a very urgent way - อย่างกระวนกระวาย, อย่างไม่สามารถ
- funeral: a ceremony that takes place after someone dies, usually including a religious ceremony - งานศพ
- householder: a person who owns or rents the house that they live in - ผู้ครองเรือน, เจ้าของบ้าน
- instruct (verb): to tell somebody to do something, especially in a formal or official way - สั่ง
- late: dead - ที่ล่วงลับไปแล้ว
- local: in or related to the area that you live, or to the particular area that you are talking about - ท้องถิ่น
- maintain: to keep - รักษา
- manners: behaviour that is considered to be polite in a particular society or culture - มารยาทสังคม
- mapped out: planned in detail - วางแผน
- mat (noun): a small piece of thick carpet or strong material that is used to cover part of a floor or the ground - เสื่อ, พรม, สาด
- mattress: the thick soft material that you put on the base of a bed to make it more comfortable - ที่นอน
- measures (noun): actions taken to solve a particular problem - มาตรการ
- merchant: a person or business that buys and sells goods, especially one that trades with other countries - พ่อค้า, ผู้จำหน่าย, คนขาย
- monarch: a king or queen - กษัตริย์ หรือราชินี
- mourners (noun): people who are at a funeral or other event in honour of someone who has died, especially relatives or close friends of the dead person - ผู้ไว้ทุกข์,ผู้ไว้อาลัย,ผู้โศกเศร้า
- note (verb): to mention something because it is important or interesting -
- observe: to obey rules, laws, etc - ยินยอมทำตาม (ทางกฎหมายหรือประเพณี)
- order: a situation in which everything is well organized or arranged - ความเป็นระเบียบเรียบร้อย
- orderly (adj): arranged or organised in a neat, careful and logical way - ซึ่งเป็นระเบียบเรียบร้อย
- pace: the speed at which something happens or is done - อัตรา
- particularly: especially, or more than usual - โดยเฉพาะ
- pavement: a path with a hard surface beside a road. The American word is sidewalk - ทางเดิน, ฟุตบาท
- permit (verb): to allow someone to do something - อนุญาต, อนุมัติ, ยินยอม
- popular (adj): a situation in which someone or something is liked by many people - เป็นที่นิยม, เป็นที่ชื่นชอบ
- proceedings: an event or a series of actions - กิจกรรมที่ดำเนินต่อเนื่องในระยะเวลาหนึ่ง
- processions: lines of people who are all walking or travelling in the same direction, especially in a formal way as part of a religious ceremony or public celebration - ขบวนที่เคลื่อนไป
- prove (verb): to show to be - ปรากฏ, แสดง
- quarter: a part of a town where you find particular buildings, activities, or people - ย่าน, เขต, แถบ
- queue-jumper (noun): a person who moves to the front of a queue (line) to get served before other people who have been waiting longer -
- realise (verb): to know about - ตระหนัก รู้
- reduce: to make something smaller or less in amount, size, importance etc - ลดลง
- rehearsal (noun): practice for something before doing it - การซักซ้อม
- reign (verb): to officially hold power - ครองอำนาจ
- reserve: to keep something currently not being used but that can be used when needed - สำรองไว้
- respectful (adj.): feeling or showing respect - ซึ่งมีความเคารพ
- revered: highly respected and admired - ซึ่งแสดงความเคารพนับถือ
- scold: to criticise someone of whose behavior you disapprove of - ว่ากล่าว, ตำหนิ, เอ็ด
- secure (verb): to get or achieve something - ได้มา
- security: protection; systems providing for safety from attack, harm, or damage - ระบบรักษาความปลอดภัย
- sheeting (noun): metal, plastic, etc. made into flat thin pieces -
- site: a place where something is located - สถานที่
- spectator: a person who watches an activity without taking part - ผู้เข้าชม
- spirit (noun): a mood, a feeling - อารมณ์
- spokesman: a person who speaks on behalf of a group or an organization - โฆษก
- spot: the particular place where someone or something is - ที่, สถานที่
- squeeze: to press something firmly, especially with your hands - คั้น, บีบ
- store: to put and keep things in a special place for use in the future - เก็บ
- strict: demanding that rules are obeyed; very careful and exact - เข้มงวด
- swollen: larger or fuller than normal - ขยายใหญ่,พองตัว,บวม
- taking into account: considering; to think carefully about the various factors involved before making a decision or developing an opinion - พิจารณา, คิดอย่างละเอียด
- taxing (adj): needing a great amount of physical or mental effort; difficult; demanding - ยากลำบาก
- the public: people in general - ประชาชน, สาธารณชน, มหาชน
- treat: to behave in a particular way towards somebody/something - ปฏิบัติ(ต่อ)
- turn up: to come somewhere - มาถึง
- umbrella: an object with a round folding frame of long straight pieces of metal covered with material, that you use to protect yourself from the rain or from hot sun - ร่ม
- unfold (verb): to happen, or to develop - ปรากฏออกมา
- urge: to advise someone very strongly about what action or attitude they should take - ผลักดัน, กระตุ้น
- vicinity: an area near a particular place - บริเวณใกลเคียง
- volunteers (noun): people who are not paid for the work that they do; someone who does something willingly without being required to - อาสาสมัคร