Medical cannabis bill passed by NLA
The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) on Tuesday passed the second and third readings of an amendment to the narcotics law legalising the production, import, export, possession and use of cannabis and kratom products for medical purposes.
The bill received 166 votes in favour with 13 abstentions.
Consumers will be able to carry specified amounts necessary for treatment of illness if they have prescriptions or certificates from professionals in medicine, dentistry, Thai traditional and alternative medicine or indigenous medicine.
Licences for the production, import, export, sale and possession of cannabis and kratom will be for government organisations tasked with medical and agricultural research and education and narcotics suppression, the Thai Red Cross Society, Thai traditional and indigenous medical professions, medical universities, registered community-based farmers' organisations, international transport operators, international travelling patients who need to carry narcotics and those approved by the public health minister.
The amendment will become law only when it is published in the Government Gazette.
Learn from listening
- abstention (noun): an act of choosing not to use a vote either in favour of or against something - การงดออกเสียง
- cannabis (noun): marijuana; a drug made from the dried leaves and flowers or resin of the hemp plant, which is smoked or eaten and which gives the user a feeling of being relaxed. Use of the drug is illegal in many countries. - กัญชา
- commerce: trade, especially between countries; the buying and selling of goods and services - การค้าขายสินค้า, ธุรกิจการค้า (commerce minister รัฐมนตรีว่าการกระทรวงพาณิชย์)
- consumer: someone who buys and uses goods and services - ผู้บริโภค
- indigenous: naturally existing in a place or country rather than arriving from another place - เกี่ยวกับชนพื้นเมือง
- kratom (n): a locally grown plant traditionally used as a stimulant and painkiller -
- narcotics: illegal drugs such as heroin, cocaine or crystal methamphetamine - ยาเสพย์ติด
- specific: detailed and exact - โดยเฉพาะ, เฉพาะเจาะจง
- suppression: stopping illegal activity - การระงับ การปราบปราม
- violators (noun): people who go against or refuse to obey a law, an agreement, etc. - ผู้ฝ่าฝืน, ผู้ละเมิดกฎ