Premchai gets 16 months in jail
KANCHANABURI: Construction billionaire Premchai Karnasuta was sentenced to 16 months in jail for illegal possession of a dead pheasant and weapons, and supporting poaching.
The Thong Pha Phum Court gave the ruling on Tuesday morning in the high-profile case, which saw the construction tycoon widely blamed for the killing of a rare black leopard after his group was arrested with the carcasses of protected animals at their unauthorised campsite in Thungyai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary in Thong Pha Phum district in early February last year.
The 16-month sentence included six months for illegally carrying weapons, eight for supporting poaching and two for possession of a dead pheasant. Premchai was one of four defendants, and the other three took the blame for possessing the black leopard carcass.
Yong Dodkruea was sentenced to 13 months in jail: three months for illegal firearm possession, six months for illegally carrying firearms, and four months for possessing the black leopard carcass. He was acquitted on the charge of illegally collecting forest products.
Nathee Riamsaen was sentenced to four months in jail and fined 10,000 baht for illegally possessing the black leopard carcass, but the jail term was suspended for two years. She was acquitted of illegally possessing and carrying firearms.
Thanee Thummat was sentenced to two years and 17 months in jail: three months for illegal firearm possession, four months for having the leopard carcass, six months for illegally carrying firearms, four months for attempted poaching, one year for poaching and one year for collecting forest products. He was found guilty of all charges.
The court also ordered Premchai and Thanee to pay 2 million baht in compensation related to the case to the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation.
Learn from listening
- acquit: to state officially that someone is not guilty of the crime they were accused of - ตัดสินให้พ้นโทษ
- acquittal: an official judgment in a court of law that someone is not guilty of the crime they were accused of - การตัดสินให้พ้นโทษ
- carcass: the body of a dead animal - ซาก
- compensation: money that someone receives because something bad has happened to them - เงินชดเชย
- defendants (nloun): people who have been accused of a crime and are on trial - จำเลย
- leopard (noun): a large animal of the cat family, that has yellowish-brown fur with black spots. Leopards live in Africa and southern Asia - เสือดาว
- pheasant (noun): a large bird with a long tail, the male of which is brightly coloured. People sometimes shoot pheasants for sport or food. Meat from this bird is also called pheasant - ไก่ฟ้า
- poaching (noun): illegally catching or killing an animal, bird, or fish on someone else’s property - การรุกล้ำ, การบุกรุกล่าสัตว์หรือจับปลา
- suspend a sentence: a situation when the court decides that the person who has been proven guilty of a crime does not have to undergo the punishment given, usually under certain conditions - รอลงอาญา
- tycoon: a person who has succeeded in business or industry and has become very rich and powerful - นักธุรกิจที่ร่ำรวยและมีอิทธิพลมาก
- wrongdoing: breaking the law or doing something "wrong" - กระทำผิดศีลธรรม, ละเมิดกฎหมาย