33 hurt, policeman dies after anti-Prayut rally
Thirty-three people were injured during the rally in Bangkok on Sunday night, and 22 protesters were detained by police.
Sunday night's rally, organised by Restart Democracy (Redem) on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road, ended shortly after midnight. Redem is the lastest reincarnation of the Free Youth group.
The Erawan Medical Centre on Monday reported that 23 police and 10 protesters were treated for injuries received during the clashes.
One police officer on duty died of a heart attack. He had heart disease.
Police said 22 demonstrators were arrested and were being detained.
Police fired rubber bullets, water cannon and tear gas at the protesters as they pushed through a barrier of empty shipping containers and tried to move closer to where Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha lives.
Police have been criticised for again using violent measures against the protesters.
Prayut offered condolences on the death of the police officer, called for police to show patience and for protesters to respect the law.
- barrier: an object like a fence or wall that prevents people/vehicles, etc. from moving forward from one place to another - สิ่งขัดขวาง, กำแพง, อุปสรรค
- bullet: a small, metal object that is shot from a gun - กระสุนปืน
- clash: a brief fight between two or more people - การปะทะกันสองฝ่าย
- condolences (noun): sympathy that you feel for somebody when a person in their family or that they know well has died; an expression of this sympathy - การแสดงความเสียใจต่อผู้อื่น
- criticised: receiving words of disapproval over something that you have supposedly done wrong - ถูกวิจารณ์, โดนว่า
- demonstrators: people who march with other people in public to show that they support or oppose something - ผู้ชุมนุมประท้วง
- detained: kept in a place and not allowed to leave - กักตัว ควบคุมตัวหรือฝากขัง
- heart attack (noun): a sudden serious medical condition in which the heart stops working normally, sometimes causing death - อาการหัวใจวาย
- injury (noun): physical damage done to a person or a part of their body - อาการบาดเจ็บ
- patience: the ability to wait for a long time without becoming angry or upset - ความอดทน
- rally: a large public gathering of people to support someone or to protest against something - การชุมนุม
- reincarnation: rebirth; the same thing but in a new form - การเกิดใหม่ การฟื้นคืนชีพ
- violent (adj): involving the use of physical force, with the intention of causing damage to property or injury or death to people - รุนแรง