Police storm rally site
A protest site near Government House was cleared and 99 demonstrators rounded up at dawn and dusk on Sunday by the police.
Police cleared the site occupied by two groups of protesters at 6am. However, a number of demonstrators later gathered at 3pm near Government House.
They demanded the release of the rest of their members, a new constitution, the resignation of the prime minister and the abolition of Section 112 of the Criminal Code -- the lese majeste law.
Police said that a total of 99 protesters had been arrested during the two incidents.
''They would initially be charged with violating the Communicable Disease Control Act and the emergency decree,'' police said.
Two monks who joined the protest were caught and disrobed at Wat Benjamaborphit near the site.
Police claimed to have received complaints of loud noise and traffic congestion caused by the protest.
Learn from listening
- abolish: to officially get rid of a law, system, practice, etc. - ยกเลิก
- communicable disease: a disease that can spread from one person or animal to another - โรคที่สามารถติดต่อได้
- complaint: when someone says that something is wrong or not satisfactory - การบ่น, ข้อที่ไม่พอใจ
- congestion: a situation in which a place is crowded with people or vehicles - แน่นขนัดไปด้วยรถหรือคน
- constitution: the set of laws and basic principles that a country in governed by - รัฐธรรมนูญ
- demonstrators: people who march with other people in public to show that they support or oppose something - ผู้ชุมนุมประท้วง
- disrobe (verb): to force a man out of the monkhood, i.e., to not allow him to wear the monk's robe - ให้ออกจากการเป็นพระ
- emergency decree (noun): a situation where the government takes on special powers in a dangerous situation and the rights of the people are often limited in some way - ประกาศภาวะฉุกเฉิน
- lese majeste: the crime of offending, threatening or showing disrespect for a member of the royal family - หมิ่นพระบรมเดชานุภาพ
- occupied: (of a place) controlled by a group of people, a country, etc. - ครอบครอง
- protester: someone who shows that they disagree with something by standing somewhere, shouting, carrying signs, etc - ผู้ต่อต้าน, ผู้ประท้วง
- release: allowing someone/something to go free - การปล่อย
- resignation: the act of leaving a job, position of power, etc. - การลาออกจากตำแหน่ง
- storm: to use force to enter a place and take control of it - บุกกระหน่ำ