Lockdown not needed, says Anutin
published : 16 Apr 2021 at 09:23
writer: Gary Boyle
The government is confident it can overcome the current Covid-19 crisis without a nationwide lockdown.
Public Health Minister Anutin Chanvirakul said, "We have seen no point in imposing a lockdown for the time being. The [current] cycle of disease has only been two weeks and we have had good cooperation from all. What we need to see now is less mobility. If we can do it, we will definitely see a declining number of new infections by next month."
Covid-19 infections set a record on Thursday, with 1,543 cases, raising the total to 37,453.
The national committee on communicable diseases will ask the government that it ban the drinking of alcohol in restaurants nationwide and ban mass gatherings, including asking schools and universities nationwide to conduct all their courses online.
It concluded that 18 provinces should be classified as ultimate control (red zone) areas: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chon Buri, Samut Prakan, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Samut Sakhon, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom, Phuket, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nonthaburi, Songkhla, Tak, Udon Thani, Suphan Buri, Sa Kaeo, Rayong and Khon Kaen.
Mr Anutin said the committee agreed on a number of measures to control the disease, including ordering that restaurants shut at 9pm in red zone provinces and 11pm elsewhere. The sale of alcohol in restaurants should be banned across the country, members said.
The proposals will be discussed at Friday's meeting of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. If implemented, the measures would be effective until the end of this month.
Learn from listening
- banned: officially not allowed to do something - ถูกห้าม
- communicable disease: a disease that can spread from one person or animal to another - โรคที่สามารถติดต่อได้
- cooperation: working together to achieve a result that will benefit all sides - ความร่วมมือ, การทำงานร่วมกัน
- decline: becoming less - การลดลง
- for the time being: for the present time, but probably not for a long time - พลาง
- implement: to make something such as an idea, plan, system or law start to work and be used - นำแผนหรือนโยบายมาปฏิบัติ, นำมาใช้
- impose: to introduce something, such as a new law or new system and force people to accept it - นำกฎหมายมาบังคับใช้
- lockdown (noun): an official order to control the movement of people or vehicles because of a dangerous situation -
- mass: a large amount of something - ปริมาณมาก
- measures (noun): actions taken to solve a particular problem - มาตรการ
- mobility: the ability to move or travel around easily - การเคลื่อนที่ได้ง่าย, การเคลื่อนไหว
- nationwide: throughout a whole country - ทั่วทั้งประเทศ
- point: a reason for something - เหตุผล