Sinovac jab 'safe to use'
published : 22 Apr 2021 at 09:17
writer: Gary Boyle
The Public Health Ministry insists the Sinovac vaccine is safe and it will continue to use it, despite seven people having problems after receiving it.
The ministry's announcement came after a doctor at Chulalongkorn University revealed on Facebook on Tuesday that seven people had suffered stroke-like symptoms after being given the Chinese company's jab.
Officials say all seven -- six in Rayong and one in Chon Buri -- regained full health after doctors gave them medication to dissolve blood clots.
Dr Taweesap Siraprapasiri of the Department of Disease Control said six of the people -- five medical workers and a hospital employee, all in Rayong -- had pre-existing conditions before receiving Sinovac's vaccine CoronaVac.
Dr Taweesap said they'd all been given a shot of CoronaVac between April 5 and 9.
All fully recovered in 1-3 days.
"We think that the symptoms were linked with the inoculation because they happened [just] 5-10 minutes after their injections," a doctor from Siriraj Hospital said.
Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said that the government would not stop its Sinovac vaccination programme.
Learn from listening
- blood clot: when blood turns from liquid to solid form in blood vessels which can block blood vessels leading to problems such as heart attacks or strokes - ลิ่มเลือด
- dissolve: to be absorbed by a liquid, especially when mixed - ละลาย
- inoculation (noun): an act of protecting a person or an animal from catching a particular disease by injecting them with a mild form of the disease - การฉีดวัคซีน,
- jab: a vaccination - การฉีดวัคซีน
- medication: a medicine, or a set of medicines or drugs used to improve a particular condition or illness - ยารักษาโรค
- pre-existing condition (noun): a physical or mental condition that had begun at an earlier time - สภาพที่เป็นอยู่ก่อน
- reveal: to let something become known - เปิดเผย
- shot: putting a liquid, especially a drug, into a person's body using a needle and a syringe; an injection - การฉีดยา
- stroke: a medical condition is which the blood flow is suddenly stopped and cannot reach the brain - อาการเส้นโลหิตในสมองแตกอย่างเฉียบพลัน
- vaccine: a substance which contains a form that is not harmful of a virus and which is given to a person or animal to prevent them from getting the disease which the virus causes - วัคซีน