'Sorry' for slow vaccine supply
The National Vaccine Institute (NVI) has apologised for slow Covid-19 vaccine procurement and says it is prepared to hold talks to join the Covax global vaccine sharing scheme.
The apology came after the government faced criticism over its failure to procure enough vaccines as infection numbers continued to soar, with a record 13,002 new cases reported on Wednesday.
NVI director Nakorn Premsri said the agency tried to contact vaccine manufacturers in August last year and place advance orders even though the vaccines were in research trials.
He said that vaccine procurement plans must go before a committee chaired by the permanent secretary for public health.
Advice must also be sought from the government's legal advisory agency before an agreement is signed, he added.
"This has led to public feeling that the vaccine procurement may not meet the target. It's all about those impediments and constraints. I apologise to the public," Dr Nakorn said.
He also said the NVI has prepared for talks to join Covax, an international vaccine-sharing scheme administrated by the World Health Organisation.
"The NVI aims to receive vaccines from Covax next year," he said.
Learn from listening
- advisory: having the role of giving professional advice - ที่เกี่ยวกับการให้คำปรึกษา
- agency (noun): a government department that provides a particular service - หน่วยงานราชการ
- apology: an act of saying sorry - คำขอโทษ
- committee: a group of people who are chosen, usually by a larger group, to make decisions or to deal with a particular subject - คณะกรรมการ
- constraints (noun): things which control what you do by keeping you within particular limits; things that limit your freedom to do what you want ข้อจำกัด - ข้อจำกัด
- criticism: comments that show that you think something is wrong or bad - การวิจารณ์
- impediment: barrier; something that stops people from going into a place - สิ่งกีดขวางทางผ่าน
- legal: relating to the law or lawyers - เกี่ยวกับกฎหมาย
- procure: to buy supplies or equipment for a government department or company - จัดซื้อวัสดุ เครื่องมือสำหรับบริษัท หรือหน่วยงานของรัฐ
- procurement: the process of buying supplies or equipment for a government department or company - การจัดซื้อวัสดุ เครื่องมือสำหรับบริษัท หรือหน่วยงานของรัฐ
- scheme: a plan that is developed by a government or large organisation in order to provide a particular service for people - แผนการ โครงการ
- soar: to rise very quickly to a high level - มีความหวังสูง,พุ่งพรวดขึ้น
- trial: a test, usually over a limited period of time, to discover how effective or suitable something or someone is - การทดลอง, การทดสอบ